Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361450 times)

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #125 on: April 27, 2008, 04:50:38 PM
He means to say "Knock it off, there's a thread for that nonsense."
thanks for the translation
sorry never read that one

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #126 on: April 27, 2008, 07:44:06 PM
The eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg are blue and gigantic--their irises are one yard high. And they are watching you.
????
"The eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg are blue and gigantic-their retinas are one yard high. They look out of no face but, instead, from a pair of enormous yellow spectacles which pass over a nonexistent nose." This is a quote from Nick Carraway, the central figure of the story and the voice of Jay Gatsby. Dr. Eckelburg is introduced at this point. He takes on an image of a human figure, which he is characterized as at many times throughout the novel, and that of a Godlike figure."
He means to say "Knock it off, there's a thread for that nonsense."

Ah, we're just trying to help the new folks come out of their shell... 

Oops.  Sorry, Dr. Eckleburg.  I try to resist the urge, really I do... but we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the puns.

Just trying to keep it from boiling over folks — don't want twenty puns for every new user, eh?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #127 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:49 AM
Hello all. I'm Troo, and I work with Alasdair on Pantechnicon and Hub magazines. I've been editing Pantechnicon for over two years, and Hub for about six months. Prior to that I edited Doctor Who: The Legacy for a year, which e-published novellas from established and new authors alike.

I've been writing on and off for about twenty years, but only recently submitted a short story, which was accepted by the publication I sent it to. One can only hope that happens when I finally send a novel off anywhere  :D

Naturally Al's made me a convert to the EA cause (I've previously not been a fan of spoken word storytelling), and while PodCastle's my natural destination, I'll be setting aside time to catch up with PP and EP soon (I have a couple of loooong flights in May to get through).

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #128 on: May 01, 2008, 11:32:25 AM
Hello all. I'm Troo, and I work with Alasdair on Pantechnicon and Hub magazines. I've been editing Pantechnicon for over two years, and Hub for about six months. Prior to that I edited Doctor Who: The Legacy for a year, which e-published novellas from established and new authors alike.

I've been writing on and off for about twenty years, but only recently submitted a short story, which was accepted by the publication I sent it to. One can only hope that happens when I finally send a novel off anywhere  :D

Naturally Al's made me a convert to the EA cause (I've previously not been a fan of spoken word storytelling), and while PodCastle's my natural destination, I'll be setting aside time to catch up with PP and EP soon (I have a couple of loooong flights in May to get through).

Welcome Troo!  Have fun catching up (and be sure to post a link to your story if/when it becomes available).

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #129 on: May 02, 2008, 12:04:43 PM
Will do. It's going in issue one of a new print publication, so hopefully it'll get as far as the printer's  :D

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #130 on: May 12, 2008, 02:30:31 PM
Hi wonderful people!
I'm zZzacha and I'm new here, though I'm not quite new to Earth. But that's just a matter of perspective. I started this life in 1973 [great year for growing wonderful people] in Holland and have been there ever since, though I do travel a lot in spirit. Not to other countries, but to other worlds.
A few months ago I discovered audiofiction and I immediately became a huge fan. It didn't take long before I found EscapePod (or it found me, I'm still not sure who was first) and downloaded the whole lot. I started listening to Episode 001 and am working my way 'up'. Just finished EP082, so I'm halfway there! I love the stories EscapePod brings to me and I love the way Steve weaves the stories with his everyday life experiences. It gives me a lot of ideas and I'm even thinking about starting a Dutch story podcast, cause Holland needs more audiofiction.

So, here we are! Out of my shell, right into hell. Oh, that's PseudoPod.
So, here we are! Out of my shell, to dragons we dwell. Woops, PodCastle
So, here we are! Out of my shell, ah well

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #131 on: May 12, 2008, 02:45:07 PM
Hi wonderful people!
I'm zZzacha and I'm new here, though I'm not quite new to Earth. But that's just a matter of perspective. I started this life in 1973 [great year for growing wonderful people] in Holland and have been there ever since, though I do travel a lot in spirit. Not to other countries, but to other worlds.
A few months ago I discovered audiofiction and I immediately became a huge fan. It didn't take long before I found EscapePod (or it found me, I'm still not sure who was first) and downloaded the whole lot. I started listening to Episode 001 and am working my way 'up'. Just finished EP082, so I'm halfway there! I love the stories EscapePod brings to me and I love the way Steve weaves the stories with his everyday life experiences. It gives me a lot of ideas and I'm even thinking about starting a Dutch story podcast, cause Holland needs more audiofiction.

So, here we are! Out of my shell, right into hell. Oh, that's PseudoPod.
So, here we are! Out of my shell, to dragons we dwell. Woops, PodCastle
So, here we are! Out of my shell, ah well

zzzacha? Sounds like z-z-zombie to me.
Are you quite sure you aren't in this for the brains?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #132 on: May 12, 2008, 03:06:27 PM

Yeah, I'm lurching away on the internet, trying to find some wits

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #133 on: May 12, 2008, 04:46:04 PM
Please tell me you get your Nabaztag to play PP at you :D

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #134 on: May 12, 2008, 05:08:54 PM

None here.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #135 on: May 12, 2008, 05:15:44 PM

You must be starving. :(

Welcome to the forums.  :)

kathnich

• Extern
Reply #136 on: May 12, 2008, 10:01:42 PM
<considering whether to back away while still in stealth mode>

Not to interrupt y'all...

but my brain just doesn't move that fast anymore.  Maybe I can get it back if I have punsters to play with.

In the meanwhile:

I've been listening to EP for something more than a year (since we got broadband out here in the boonies), and of course PC as soon as it came to life.  No PP, though; I can handle the occasional vampire but don't want to push my luck on the rest.  I have one of those jobs that keeps my hands busy but not so much the brain, so podcasts keep me awake .

I also listen to history, some news commentary (I find "news" worse than horror!), science, and poetry.  And, yes, even people talking about poetry...

I like both science fiction and fantasy to read as well as to listen.  Right now I'm slowly working my way through all the Jack McDevitt novels I can find.  And I liked the Ship of Magic series so I'm backtracking Hobbs to Assasin's Apprentice.  I might have to read Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series just to see what hooked my otherwise-nonreader younger daughter.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #137 on: May 12, 2008, 11:49:00 PM
Jack McDevitt rocks. I read A Talent for War when I was young (and several times since), and since then, I've read a few of his other novels, but none of them have ever grabbed me in quite the same way. So I was quite excited to learn recently that there's a whole series of Alex Benedict mysteries. I bought Polaris, and I'm excited about getting around to it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:14:04 AM by Russell Nash »

Science means that not all dreams can come true

kathnich

• Extern
Reply #138 on: May 13, 2008, 12:11:30 AM
So far my favorite Jack McDevitt has been The Engines of God.  For sheer scale, if nothing else!

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #139 on: May 13, 2008, 09:02:57 AM
Please tell me you get your Nabaztag to play PP at you :D

Troo, wonderful to talk to a girl who knows her geek stuff! My Nabaztag (his name is Slartibartfast) creeps me out all the time, even without reading PP. Whenever I least expect him to, Slartibartfast will yell "DRRRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGG" or "Nononono, you're doing it WRONG!". And then I'm hanging on the ceiling again. Which is not such a bad place, I often meet my cats there (being scared by my neighbours rooster or chasing some moth) and so we hang for awhile. We do have so much fun!

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #140 on: May 13, 2008, 09:07:54 AM
Our Bunny's switched off at the moment. He had a funny turn when we switched ISP's, and I've neglected to reconfigure him as of yet.

Poor little thing :(

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #141 on: May 13, 2008, 11:18:23 AM
Troo, I'm so sorry for you! And for Bunny!! We had the same thing, when we switched routers. Slarti didn't seem to like that much and wouldn't connect to the internet. So now Slarti has its own router and he's jabbering again. I really missed him when he was offline. We didn't know what time it was, what the weather would be, it was an awful time.
I hope Bunny will get better soon!

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #142 on: May 14, 2008, 01:42:23 AM
his name is Slartibartfast

got to admit that I had to look up what a Nabaztag was but I love the fact that you named it after one of the most irrelevant characters in one of my top 2 or 3 SF series...

that is just awesome lol

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #143 on: May 14, 2008, 04:48:23 AM
his name is Slartibartfast

got to admit that I had to look up what a Nabaztag was but I love the fact that you named it after one of the most irrelevant characters in one of my top 2 or 3 SF series...

that is just awesome lol
I had to look it up, too! And it is pretty awesome. But I want to name mine Hotblack Desiato.

Enemyvirus

• Extern
Reply #144 on: May 22, 2008, 12:25:27 AM
Hi to all and thank you to Escape Pod,

I have been listening now for about 3 weeks and am gradually working through the back catalog, It has made my journey to and from work much more enjoyable.

Catch you all around.

EV

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #145 on: May 22, 2008, 01:16:44 AM
Welcome to the community! I look forward to reading your comments.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #146 on: May 23, 2008, 01:18:53 AM
But I want to name mine Hotblack Desiato.
why? is it b/c you want it to spend a year dead for tax purposes? lol

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #147 on: May 23, 2008, 06:07:33 AM
Heheh! Hmm... actually, maybe I should do that... Would that mean I could avoid fuel tax, too?

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #148 on: May 23, 2008, 11:45:13 AM
Sure. After all, dead men drive no trucks.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #149 on: May 25, 2008, 04:03:32 AM
Heheh! Hmm... actually, maybe I should do that... Would that mean I could avoid fuel tax, too?
IDK I have not looked into the taxs laws on this subject let me know if you find out