Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361668 times)

lieffeil

• Palmer
    • spring forward, fall back
Reply #150 on: May 30, 2008, 12:20:48 AM
Hello and Good Morning.
I can't remember exactly how I found Escape Pod, but I'm glad I did. I've read too many wistful Vonnegut stories about "the good old days" when brand new Sci Fi stories got published in magazines, dropped on doorsteps and ruffled by excited fingers. I didn't expect the tradition to maintain itself, but lo and behold, here it is, only in sound and not in print.
I'm making my way (ever so slowly) back through the archived stories, and enjoying the little quirks and twists, and the ridiculous boosting of Coulton songs. In a way, this is even better than the old mags, because of the magic of instant feedback. The listeners control the standards, which is the way it should be. (Radio, are you listening?)
As it is, glad to make everyone's acquaintance.
You'll be seeing me around, I'm sure.

...you've got three metric seconds.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #151 on: May 30, 2008, 03:21:05 PM
Welcome to the forums!
Hello and Good Morning.
I can't remember exactly how I found Escape Pod, but I'm glad I did. I've read too many wistful Vonnegut stories about "the good old days" when brand new Sci Fi stories got published in magazines, dropped on doorsteps and ruffled by excited fingers. I didn't expect the tradition to maintain itself, but lo and behold, here it is, only in sound and not in print.
You make good point. Many of us really do rush to our podcatchers first thing on Friday to hear the latest and greatest from EP, PP, and (on tuesdays) PC.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #152 on: May 30, 2008, 08:08:40 PM
Welcome to the forums!
Hello and Good Morning.
You make good point. Many of us really do rush to our podcatchers first thing on Friday to hear the latest and greatest from EP, PP, and (on tuesdays) PC.

I'll chime in on the welcome, and give you +2 cool points for the Vonnegut shout out.  ;)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

tyciol

• Extern
Reply #153 on: June 13, 2008, 05:22:54 AM
I found a link to the forum on the podcast site so I joined to give feedback to podcasts as I listen to them. I like to do stuff from the beginning so that might involve bumping threads about old casts, is that okay? If not, how old can something be where it is still permissable to post about it?

eytanz

Reply #154 on: June 13, 2008, 05:28:23 AM
I found a link to the forum on the podcast site so I joined to give feedback to podcasts as I listen to them. I like to do stuff from the beginning so that might involve bumping threads about old casts, is that okay? If not, how old can something be where it is still permissable to post about it?

It's perfectly fine to bump old threads, especially episode comment threads. Not all the older episodes have comment threads - if you want to comment on an episode that's missing its thread, make a request in this thread: http://forum.escapeartists.info/index.php?topic=1279.0 and Russell (the moderator) will create one for you.

Oh, and - Welcome!

Russell Nash

Reply #155 on: June 13, 2008, 10:44:29 AM

It's perfectly fine to bump old threads, especially episode comment threads. Not all the older episodes have comment threads - if you want to comment on an episode that's missing its thread, make a request in this thread: http://forum.escapeartists.info/index.php?topic=1279.0 and Russell (the moderator) will create one for you.

Oh, and - Welcome!

Hi tyciol,

Eytanz beat me to it, but what he said is right.  In general I prefer that people bump old threads.  If you what to comment on something in any board, check for older threads first and then perform a little threadromancy if you find one.  It makes it so that our old timers don't feel they need make a new comment when they've already said everything they want to say in an older thread.

If you don't find the Episode thread for a story you want to comment on, post to the thread Eytanz linked to.  Eventually I want to have threads for every EP episode, but I want to put them up slowly, so the boards don't get swamped.  I haven't done any in quite a while.  That makes it a good time for you to request some.

Niai

• Extern
Reply #156 on: July 21, 2008, 10:00:36 PM
Hi there guys, I'm a 33-year-old guy who lives in the UK. I've been listening to Escape Pod for about the last 10-20 episodes, and enjoying most of the stories, and Steve's reading of them in particular. I thought I'd finnally check out the forums he kept mentioning when going through feedback at the end of each story. I thought i'd check them out in the hope of getting to know some fellow travelers.

Other recent SciFi related highlights: Discovering FireFly and Taking my Son to see Wall-E.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #157 on: July 23, 2008, 03:07:19 AM
Hi there guys, I'm a 33-year-old guy who lives in the UK. I've been listening to Escape Pod for about the last 10-20 episodes, and enjoying most of the stories, and Steve's reading of them in particular. I thought I'd finnally check out the forums he kept mentioning when going through feedback at the end of each story. I thought i'd check them out in the hope of getting to know some fellow travelers.

Other recent SciFi related highlights: Discovering FireFly and Taking my Son to see Wall-E.
Welcome Niai!
Glad to hear you're enjoying the stories.

Who got you hooked on FireFly?

Niai

• Extern
Reply #158 on: July 25, 2008, 04:37:38 PM
A friend of mine, he'd been going on for ages, it took me a while to give in as he's also very into Angel and Buffy, both of which I find a bit "meh" but I was blown away, and very sad that there's not more of it.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #159 on: July 25, 2008, 04:51:30 PM
Well, there's the movie Serenity, if you've not seen that yet.

Personally, I didn't think it was as good as the show, but it's still very good.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #160 on: July 25, 2008, 05:09:46 PM
Well, there's the movie Serenity, if you've not seen that yet.

Personally, I didn't think it was as good as the show, but it's still very good.
And the comic books that bridge between the show and the movie.
I haven't read them yet, but Joss had a hand in them therefor they must be good.

I second Niai on the 'meh' for Buffy and Angel.

Stalinsays

• Extern
    • Mega-Beast Death-Match competition
Reply #161 on: July 25, 2008, 10:25:39 PM
Howdy all, my name is Bo Kaier, I'm an illustrator and web designer, living in Los Angeles. I do work for the Drabblecast, and have been a big podcast short fiction since first hearing of EscapePod in a boing boing shout out a couple years back. I follow the main Escape Artists trifecta, haven't missed an episode. I am partial to Pseudopod and horror stories, but also share an affection for the Union Dues stories.

Fav Podcast episode of all-time was the Bag Man, PseudoPod 1, if I'm remembering correctly.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #162 on: August 10, 2008, 03:09:53 AM
Hello! I'm relatively newish here. Still testing the waters and all. I'm a mid 30's military wife, mom of two amazing and brilliant girls that I have FAR too many "brag" pictures of, aspiring writer and lover of the written word. Currently managing to live in my hometown despite my husbands career- here in good ol' U.S. of A.

I'm attempting to find a thread explaining the little things denoting our time/experience on the forum (Palmer being my current status) but can't find any and have been FAR too timid a fan-girl to ask.

I've been listening to Escape (etc) for some time now and have been absolutely loving every moment of it. I read at a speed that makes buying books a frightening thin, and having books and stories read TO me actually slows them down to a point that makes enjoyment easier. My elder daughter struggles with dyslexia ( blow for a highly literate parent, let me tell you) and at LAST she has found a love of stories through audio, most especially the escape pod.
Steve, if you're "listening" she has a crush on you, or at least your vocal persona.

So, very nice to me you all, and I'm having a ball here on the forums and plan on staying. Unless I'm run out of Dodge.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Russell Nash

Reply #163 on: August 10, 2008, 09:20:55 AM
I'm attempting to find a thread explaining the little things denoting our time/experience on the forum (Palmer being my current status) but can't find any and have been FAR too timid a fan-girl to ask.

This thread has been asking that question for a long time.  Only Steve knows the answer and so far he's been quiet.

So, very nice to me you all, and I'm having a ball here on the forums and plan on staying. Unless I'm run out of Dodge.

I invite you to stay and be more active.  You're one of the folks I've been hoping to hear more from.  Pull up your comfy chair and let us know what's on your mind.

We all hope your husband is staying out of harm's way.

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #164 on: August 18, 2008, 04:41:08 PM
While I'm not a new listener, I am a new member to the forums.  I'm not exactly sure why I didn't make my way over here before, but the PodCastle story PC020: Cup and Table, I seemed to be drawn over to post my thoughts about the story.

Anyway, I enjoy both PodCastle and EscapePod, thought I'm not much into PseudoPod.  Life is scary enough without actually reading/listening to something that's moreso. ;-)

Failure is an event, not a person.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #165 on: August 22, 2008, 01:32:09 PM
Awww. thank much for the welcome Nash.

And a hearty Hello, Lionman.  I listned for quite a while myself before deciding to come over and see what all the fuss was about. It's nice here.  Far as I can see they don't bite.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Russell Nash

Reply #166 on: August 22, 2008, 05:01:18 PM
Awww. thank much for the welcome Nash.

And a hearty Hello, Lionman.  I listned for quite a while myself before deciding to come over and see what all the fuss was about. It's nice here.  Far as I can see they don't bite.

Sometimes I do.

Zathras

Reply #167 on: September 08, 2008, 04:20:25 PM
Just realized that I hadn't introduced myself.

I'm Jason.  I am somewhere in my 30's, have to stop and think about it when someone asks me exactly where.  I am an owner operator truck driver. 

For the record, I am a Conservative leaning Libertarian.  I know I'm in the minority, and when I post a political comment, don't take it personally.  Trust me, if I have a problem with you personally, I'll just ignore you.    :-X

I am either an atheist or agnostic, depending on my mood.   :D

I think that Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality is one of the best series ever written, even if I refuse to read book 8.

I am not a prude, but feel that sex is often used in fiction the way curse words are used in comedy.  If it doesn't add to the story, I don't care for it.  It's all too common to see people write for the LCDs out there.

Oh, and when I grow up I want to be a professional poker player.

Left of Duck

• Extern
Reply #168 on: September 14, 2008, 09:44:56 AM
New member here!

I'm here by way of PodCastle. While I've heard one or two of the EscapePodcats, there's far too many there for me to catch up.

I hail from Australia, so I'm likely in a completely different timezone to everyone else here!

Hiya!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #169 on: September 14, 2008, 08:22:13 PM
New member here!

I'm here by way of PodCastle. While I've heard one or two of the EscapePodcats, there's far too many there for me to catch up.

I hail from Australia, so I'm likely in a completely different timezone to everyone else here!

Hiya!
Hello you Sinister Mallard, welcome to the forums!
Which podcat is your favorite?
Don't worry about which timezone you're in. We have people all all over the world. You might be surprised at how many Aussies we have, and there are a few from over the bridge in New Zealand too.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #170 on: September 14, 2008, 11:04:41 PM
I think that Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality is one of the best series ever written, even if I refuse to read book 8.

I wasn't aware that there was a book 8.   I was surprised to learn that there's a book 6 and a book 7, as in prior books God and Satan were said to be the Eternals, not just two more positions to be filled. 

I haven't read past book 5, and I intend to keep to that.  The only good ones were book 1 (Death) and book 3 (Fate).

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #171 on: September 15, 2008, 01:50:53 AM
I liked ..what was it.. Green Mother, as well.

Anthony has always been an on/off writer, but when he's on, he's on.

Zathras

Reply #172 on: September 15, 2008, 01:28:48 PM

I wasn't aware that there was a book 8.   I was surprised to learn that there's a book 6 and a book 7, as in prior books God and Satan were said to be the Eternals, not just two more positions to be filled. 

I haven't read past book 5, and I intend to keep to that.  The only good ones were book 1 (Death) and book 3 (Fate).

I thought that For Love of Evil was the best book in the series, but mainly because it gave a new perspective to the previous 5 books. 

Book 8 is about Nox, and every review I have seen of it makes me not want to read it.  Both the positive and negative reviews just make it seem that I'd be better off not opening it.

eytanz

Reply #173 on: September 15, 2008, 01:38:09 PM

I thought that For Love of Evil was the best book in the series, but mainly because it gave a new perspective to the previous 5 books. 

I agree that the retelling of books 1-5 in book 6 was pretty cool. It was very blatently a retcon - it was quite easy to see that none of it was planned back when books 1-5 were written, given all the subtle and not-so-subtle contradicitons, but it was pretty fun. And it made me wish that the series was written with books 6 and 7 in mind from the start, which would have been really, really cool.

Book 7 was a total waste of time.

I don't think I'll pick up book 8, but that's partially because it was quite a while ago since I read the others and I don't know if I'd remember enough of the details. Though, who knows, maybe that would help.

sjg1978

• Extern
Reply #174 on: September 30, 2008, 06:00:29 PM
Howdy out there.

Since everybody is trying to introduce themselves (and has been for a while), I'll take my turn.

I've been listening to Escape Pod for quite a while (I think I started listening around episode 80 or so), and Podcastle since the beginning.  So far, I think I've enjoyed "The Grand Cheat" most of all.

(Okay, I'm only caught up with the August shows... I'll try to get September listened too before the end of October...)

I tried Pseudopod, but it just didn't work out that well for me.  Not good for driving to and from work with.

I've had a few thoughts in the past about the episodes, but never bothered joining until now.  Maybe I'll get a chance to reply before the feedback goes live on some future story.

Well, I'll see you guys around, and I'm about to make a post over in the Science Fiction Discussion area.