Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361555 times)

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #200 on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:40 AM

I do.  But that's for a different thread.
Yar, depends on who gets et, right?

BTW, Welcome Serrat and koosie!

Jason M

Reply #201 on: August 26, 2009, 02:22:17 PM
Might as well introduce myself (again).  I was Zathras/Zorag.  I decided to come here under my real name. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #202 on: August 26, 2009, 03:18:32 PM
Might as well introduce myself (again).  I was Zathras/Zorag.  I decided to come here under my real name. 

Ah. I guess I just answered my own question from another thread. I thought this might be you!

Srsly man, you gotta stop deleting yourself.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #203 on: August 26, 2009, 03:44:15 PM
Am I going to have to turn you into a newt again?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #204 on: August 26, 2009, 04:05:43 PM
Am I going to have to turn you into a newt again?

and who will be the purple king of the interwebz?

Mercuria

• Extern
Reply #205 on: August 27, 2009, 03:54:26 PM
Hello.

I am a new listener. I must say I was pretty thrilled when I stumbled across psuedopod and escapepod. I LOVE short stories and grad school had led me to abandon them for far too long.  I am a 25 year old living on the east coast of the United States. The only interesting thing I am doing these days is learning to work with molten glass and resurfacing furniture. Not exactly related in any way to my area of education (computer science), but fun none the less.

I enjoy reading just about anything. I also have a bit of a disdain for those who believe the scifi, fantasy and horror should always be mutually exclusive. I think such strict categorization stifles creativity and ultimately personal enjoyment and exploration of themes. I think the guys at Escape Artists have done a fantastic job and I thank them wholeheartedly for presenting such wonderful stories!

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #206 on: August 31, 2009, 04:03:49 PM
Well, since blog comments have been disabled, I guess I better start getting more involved in the forums. My name is LaShawn Wanak, and I've been listening to Podcastle and Escape Pod for two years now. I'm still working up the nerve to listen to Pseudopod.

I'm an African-American writer who works mainly in fantasy & sci-fi, though I also do literary. I've been published in The Town Drunk and Ideomancer, and I have a couple of Honorable Mentions for the Writers of the Future contest (which is good because so far, I've only entered twice ;D). You can find links to my stories online at my blog, which is in my signature below.

My more sinister plan would be to have one of my stories here, or at least to become a voice reader. But I do look forward to becoming part of this community. The stories here are wonderful, and I plan to keep on listening and supporting Escape Artists. Keep on listening, and remember, the short story is not dead!

LaShawn

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

MissPaige21

• Extern
Reply #207 on: September 02, 2009, 08:48:35 PM
Hey!  I've recently started listening to both Pseudopod and Escape Pod.  I am working through back eps now and I really love both these casts.  Thought I'd come around and check out the forums.

I am 21 (for the 15th time), I have alot of kids, I work 15-20 overnight hours 3 times a month, and I love both short stories AND podcasts.  I swear, finding these was like getting chocolate in my peanut butter.  Thanks for entertaining me (and keeping me awake) while I work.

When gunslingers come to town, things get broken.

Jason M

Reply #208 on: September 03, 2009, 08:21:23 PM
Hey!  I've recently started listening to both Pseudopod and Escape Pod.  I am working through back eps now and I really love both these casts.  Thought I'd come around and check out the forums.

I am 21 (for the 15th time), I have alot of kids, I work 15-20 overnight hours 3 times a month, and I love both short stories AND podcasts.  I swear, finding these was like getting chocolate in my peanut butter.  Thanks for entertaining me (and keeping me awake) while I work.

Careful, you're making references the young'uns don't get. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #209 on: September 03, 2009, 09:30:11 PM
I just realized I've been throwing my bombastic nonsense around without introducing myself.

I was linked to Pseudopod a relatively short while ago and have only recently started listening to the back episodes.  (The correlation with my purchase of a Wii Fit and need for portable entertainment may or may not be involved.)  I've become almost evangelical on the podcasted-stories front, recommending the sites to everyone I meet (and boy did that guy at the bus station edge away quickly.)  I finished up Pseudo and am halfway through PodCastle, with Escape Pod looming like a rising Death Star on the horizon of Yevin.  I posted a fair amount even on the old episodes at the blog, being a chatty sort of pedant, and like several others I was driven here to the forums in the same way that a drunk is gently urged from the bar at two in the morning.

As far as actual writing chops, I've pretty much got my daily 100-word story blog, linked in my signature, and a couple of vaporware stories accepted for publication at semi-pro webzines.  Mundane details: I'm male, roughly 28 years old, married and childless, and far too fond of board games.

MasterThief

• Extern
Reply #210 on: September 04, 2009, 02:09:35 PM
Hi there!  I'm MasterThief, formerly of the Escape Pod blog comments section.  I've been listening to EP for about a year (ever since I found the podcast of Elizabeth Bear's "Tideline"), so I figured I'd better make the jump.

About me: I live in the DC Metro Area (Arlington, VA). I'm originally from New Mexico (Los Alamos... no, the radiation gave me no superpowers) and grew up in Massachusetts. I'm a 29-year old office gopher at a local university by day, and a law student at night. I'm a total bookworm, a sometime chef and a lover of fine beers and wines. Outside of work, school, and messing around in internet forums, not much else to report. (Oh, I've had scifi plots swimming around in my head for years, but never had the time or the inclination to put any of them to paper. Maybe someday...)

Where my handle comes from: Inspired by the Character "Thief" from the webcomic 8-bit Theater, I took the name when I opened up a blog called Thief's Den back in 2003. I haven't updated in years, mostly it's just an e-mail address and a repository of funny pictures. A few years after that I signed on over at Fark.com, but "Thief" was already taken, so I chose "Master Thief." It was only after listening closely to Bob Dylan's "Positively Fourth Street" (http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/positively.html) that I figured out why my brain had picked it... without bothering to tell me!

Where else you can find me:  Fark.com, John Scalzi's "Whatever," and lurking over at TVTropes.

If I was a Master Thief, perhaps I'd rob them...

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #211 on: September 04, 2009, 03:35:21 PM
MissPaige21: So, you're 315 years old?  That's cool.

Scattercat: Nice synchronicity seeing you here today, seeing as you just left a comment on my blog about zombies and vampires and other honorable folk.  I promise to seek out decent vampire stories.  And maybe learn to tolerate the mindless sort of zombie.  (As long as they're not breaking down my door.) 

MasterThief: Aw, I used to live in Arlington and I miss the region's incredible variety of ethnic dining options.  Especially Ethiopian.  I can't have that where I live now.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:00:01 PM by Boggled Coriander »

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #212 on: September 04, 2009, 07:51:53 PM
That'd be because I follow links from profiles when I see them, especially during the long, slow hours of the night shift.  Someone shows up in the active users list at four AM, then I'm gonna click on their name in the hopes of finding something interesting.  ;-)

hadal paddler

• Extern
Reply #213 on: September 07, 2009, 01:59:36 PM
hmm tap tap is this thing on?

hopefully i'm adding a new post to the New Members thread...hopefully

I'm Dave, a 30 something living in the UK. Discovered Podcasts last year as a way of making my new longer commute tolerable. Not only have they made it tolerable but on occassions where i work at home i actually miss the podcasts.

I started with Escape pod then my interests grew sort of organically to Pseudopod and Podcastle, then to Drabblecast, Scott Siglers podcast and the Starship sofa (although the ever lengthening program length means i need to slow to 10mph for most of the commute :-)

Anyway, hello all :-)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #214 on: September 07, 2009, 02:42:33 PM
I started with Escape pod then my interests grew sort of organically to Pseudopod and Podcastle, then to Drabblecast, Scott Siglers podcast and the Starship sofa (although the ever lengthening program length means i need to slow to 10mph for most of the commute :-)

Look at it this way ... at least you'll never have to get an implant;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #215 on: September 08, 2009, 04:30:22 PM
Hi everybody!   I discovered Escape Pod earlier this year and have spent the last few months joyfully listening to more than 100 previous episodes.  Until the recent Metacast I didn't even realize there was a second place to post comments, other than at the blog.   So, I'm thrilled to have found this forum -- so many great discussions!   Hopefully I can add some small value as time unfolds.   

Here are some of my very favorite Escape Pod stories so far.  I'm interested to know if others have (or will) post lists of their favorites?

005  Snow Day, Jennifer Pelland
048  Soul Food, Paul Martens
050  The Malcontent, Steve Eley
059  Anyone can Whistle, David Walton
061  I Look Forward to Remembering You, Mur Lafferty
062  Union Dues, Jeffrey DeRego
064  Head of State, Ed Marsh
090  How Lonesome a Life Without Nerve Gas, James Trimarco
098  Just Do It, Heather Lindsley
176  How the World Became Quiet, Rachel Swirsky
FLS  It was death by a bullet, but I was killed by a woman, Michael Bekemeyer
193  Article of Faith, Mike Resnick
194  Exhalation, Ted Chiang
204  The Fifth Zhi, Mercurio Rivera  

I'm always on the lookout for more great science fiction to read, and often use my subscriptions to Asimov's, Analog, and Escape Pod as a way to discover writers I've not heard of.  

If there is one new feature I wish Escape Pod would add it would be a page for every author that tells us what else he/she has published and where we can get it.  I seem to spend a lot of time doing that myself manually and it seems like something that would be better done centrally, even if by a group of fans.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:42:00 AM by El Barto »

AndrewRiot

• Extern
Reply #216 on: October 21, 2009, 08:34:18 AM
Hello!

My name is Andrea, I'm from Italy!

I found this wonderful podcasts while looking for a way to improve my english, and now I'm sure I found it ;)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #217 on: October 21, 2009, 10:02:05 AM
Welcome! Stick around -- we're a mixed-English bunch! I'm sure you'll find interesting discussions.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #218 on: October 21, 2009, 05:19:14 PM
Welcome! When I get home I'm going to move this to the "introduce yourself" forum topic, but  don't think it's a big deal! :)
hope you enjoy your stay here!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #219 on: October 21, 2009, 05:57:35 PM
Bdoomed :) It's not a huge deal, but it's a great idea!
By the way, hello Andrea! Welcome to the mayhem!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #220 on: October 21, 2009, 06:12:14 PM
Nice to have you here :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #221 on: October 21, 2009, 10:34:46 PM
Welcome! When I get home I'm going to move this to the "introduce yourself" forum topic, but  don't think it's a big deal! :)

What, what?  We're not going to beat her up in the parking lot for posting to the wrong forum?  ???

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #222 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:56 PM
are you Andrew or Andrea?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #223 on: October 21, 2009, 11:38:04 PM

What, what?  We're not going to beat her up in the parking lot for posting to the wrong forum?  ???
i tried but...
*shudder*
don't pick a fight with that woman.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #224 on: October 22, 2009, 12:10:51 AM
are you Andrew or Andrea?

Oops!  Nice catch, deflective.  I missed that "Andrea"'s handle is "AndrewRiot".  Now I'm confused.