Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361608 times)

jay daze

• Extern
Reply #225 on: October 29, 2009, 02:19:12 AM
Hello,

I've been listening to lots of PodCastle episodes and have started branching out to the other wings of this rather grand edifice, so I guess I better introduce myself.

I'm some guy, 40-ish.  Who resides on the West Coast of Canada.  I write some, scribble some, lampwork (all melty with soft glass) a fair bit, and then do joe-jobs to not support myself very well.  Love reading and really love the amazing short-stories that your wonderful readers have been whispering in to my ears (but then I turned up the volume and I could hear them properly).

That's about it.  I'll probably stick my oar in when a story pokes me right.

Mr Morden

• Extern
  • What do you want?
Reply #226 on: November 20, 2009, 06:34:08 PM
Hello, glad to meet you!

I'm just a ... Shadow ... of my former self.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #227 on: November 20, 2009, 06:37:27 PM
Hello, glad to meet you!

Hi there, welcome aboard. Don't worry, we don't bite. Well, most of us don't.

I do but I'm muzzled.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #228 on: November 21, 2009, 04:14:32 AM
Mr. Morden... now why couldn't Zathras stayed around to have met you?!?

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #229 on: November 21, 2009, 06:36:53 AM
Hello,

I was introduced to Escape Pod about a year ago, started working through the back catalog and just recently caught up to the current episodes. Escape Pod stories are now my preferred listening when I run.

My first post on the forums was about 2 weeks ago. I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a place for introductions and just jumped in.

What brought me to the forums was the lack of listener feedback at the end of the episodes. That had been one of my favorite parts while listening to the back episodes, and I really enjoyed hearing a neat summary of opinions with a few quotes from listeners. I still miss the feedback, but the forums are fun too.

Let's see, what else can I say about myself? I'm a long-standing sci-fi fan (and I just dated myself), a scientist, and I study impact craters on the Moon (which explains my Avatar image). If there's anything else you would like to know, feel free to ask.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #230 on: November 23, 2009, 07:37:36 PM
Welcome newer folk! Hope to see you all here a lot! :)

Some of us do bite, but I don't think many of us have anything catching.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Gallagher

• Extern
Reply #231 on: November 29, 2009, 03:01:45 AM
Hello,

I am here through a series of discoveries like reading -> stories of adventure -> writing -> SF, Fantasy, Horror Genres -> computer literacy -> podcasts -> Poly Weekly -> Escape Pod -> Escape Artists -> Steady amount of great fiction.

I want to write and submit but have a habit of too many different stories brewing into my journal in note form that I get distracted before I complete 1st drafts. Until I get something I am happy to submit I will do my best to add a thoughtful opinion.

"Be Normal and the Crowd Will Accept You.
 Be Deranged and They Will Make You Their Leader."
 (Titus)

cdugger

• Peltast
  • I read to be smart...er.
Reply #232 on: December 19, 2009, 02:57:11 PM
Ok, time to weigh in.

I've been posting so heavily that I feel like I've been here for years.

Being a huge fan of Asimov, I was hooked when a friend gave me Episode 100 "Nightfall". I have since downloaded ALL of Escape Pod and most of PseudoPod and PodCastle. I have the luxury of being able to listen to as much as 7 episodes a day at work, and still appear to be productive.

Of course, now I'm addicted to Drabblecast, Variant Frequencies, and Dead Mech (you REALLY have to listen to Dead Mech! It's AWESOME! I mean, c'mon! BattleMechs and Zombies! How can it get any better than that?)

I have also started up writing again. I stopped for a long while, and missed it. I've submitted one to PodCastle (rejected, but I think I screwed up the submit email), and a flash piece to PseudoPod (rejected, but with some great comments!), and 3 new shorts to Tales of the Zombie War (http://www.talesofworldwarz.com/), which have not been accepted OR rejected (so, there's hope, yet!).

I also have been able to strike up conversations with several authors of stories here and at TotZW, which has just made my life better.

What it boils down to is this: Escape Pod has enriched my life.

And, for that, I am grateful.

Oh,yeah! I'm a 42 (soon 43) year old happily married man (going on 15 years) in San Antonio, Texas.

I read, therefore I am...happy.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #233 on: December 28, 2009, 11:29:26 PM
Mr. Morden... now why couldn't Zathras stayed around to have met you?!?

I thought it was Zathras.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #234 on: April 02, 2010, 11:44:00 PM
Am I the first newbie in a long time, then? That's nice. :)

Let's see, shall we? My name is Ellen, but most people call me Effie. I'm a writer of horror/dark fiction with a few published pieces, but nothing major or huge. My latest publication is in this month's issue of SNM Horror Magazine. I've been writing for years and years, but only within the last year and a half have I begun editing myself and trying to publish. It's been a journey, and every day I learn something new about this crazy-tough business. I've visited the Pseudopod site quite often(but not often enough), and have even submitted a piece or two there. I look forward to meting all of you.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #235 on: April 03, 2010, 12:38:21 AM
Welcome to the forums, Effie!

Have you heard about the flash contest coming up for Pseudopod?  Submissions start May 1st.  PodCastle is accepting fantasy submissions now.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #236 on: April 03, 2010, 01:29:22 PM

Have you heard about the flash contest coming up for Pseudopod?  Submissions start May 1st.  PodCastle is accepting fantasy submissions now.

Thank you! I saw a little something about the flash fiction contest and may have a little ditty I can submit. I have a regular submission at Pseudopod now... would that make a difference?

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #237 on: April 03, 2010, 05:44:59 PM

Thank you! I saw a little something about the flash fiction contest and may have a little ditty I can submit. I have a regular submission at Pseudopod now... would that make a difference?
not at all!  You just can't submit whatever you have already submitted to Pseudopod or any of the sister podcasts.  Feel free to send in your story, but only after May 1st when the Pseudopod contest starts. :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #238 on: April 04, 2010, 12:39:01 AM
not at all!  You just can't submit whatever you have already submitted to Pseudopod or any of the sister podcasts.  Feel free to send in your story, but only after May 1st when the Pseudopod contest starts. :P

Oh, the other piece is no where near flash fic, so it's not that one.

So-- a quick question. Would vampires and werewolves now be considered Fantasy? Because I have a story that *feels* like fantasy to me--has a touch of humor, as well, that deals with vamps and weres and something I call the... what, you didn't think I was actually going to tell you already, did you? ;)

Thank you for answering my questions. It is very much appreciated. I'll probably have a ton more, but for now...

That'll do, Pig.

ETA: This meaning I have two flash pieces that I think I could send, but to different contests, just in case anyone is confused.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:41:07 AM by Effie Collins »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #239 on: April 04, 2010, 02:36:44 AM
So-- a quick question. Would vampires and werewolves now be considered Fantasy? Because I have a story that *feels* like fantasy to me--has a touch of humor, as well, that deals with vamps and weres and something I call the... what, you didn't think I was actually going to tell you already, did you? ;)
That's a good question, I guess it boils down to: what is the mood of the piece?  If it is dark, brooding, and (for lack of a better word) horrific, then send it to Pseudopod.  If it seems lighter then I'd send it in to PodCastle.  If you send it to PC and they don't feel it belongs, they'll just defer you to the PP contest. :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #240 on: April 04, 2010, 06:14:42 AM
Thank you, BDoomed (Love that username by the way). It's on the lighter side of thing with only a light gray twinge--no black in sight. The vamp/were thing is quite an odd little piece. The other definitely needs to go to pseudopod. Thank you so much, both of you. :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #241 on: April 13, 2010, 06:08:25 PM
So-- a quick question. Would vampires and werewolves now be considered Fantasy?

PC would totally never do a story with either vampires or werewolves. Although...I guess we kind of had some vampires tangentially in a recent one. But werewolves? Never.

*Whistles*

Seriously, though, for the purposes of this contest, it's up to you, and it's up to the listeners/readers. They might feel like a light-hearted story about vampires and werewolves doesn't feel horrible enough for PP. They might feel like horror archetypes don't quite work for PC. Ultimately, you have to decide which one it has a better chance at.

Good luck!

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #242 on: April 14, 2010, 09:45:28 PM
So-- a quick question. Would vampires and werewolves now be considered Fantasy?

PC would totally never do a story with either vampires or werewolves. Although...I guess we kind of had some vampires tangentially in a recent one. But werewolves? Never.

*Whistles*

Seriously, though, for the purposes of this contest, it's up to you, and it's up to the listeners/readers. They might feel like a light-hearted story about vampires and werewolves doesn't feel horrible enough for PP. They might feel like horror archetypes don't quite work for PC. Ultimately, you have to decide which one it has a better chance at.

Good luck!

LOL... you are a funny one, aren't you? :) Thank you for answering, though. I did make that decision (to send for PC), and I think it's light enough to be okay as a fantasy piece (I promise that nothing sparkles or has an alabaster brow. I swear). I hope it works as fantasy, at any rate. Thanks again, man. :D

jrcalvo

• Palmer
    • J. R. Calvo: The Official Site
Reply #243 on: May 21, 2010, 07:44:40 PM
Hi y'all! I'm Joe and I'm a scifi, fantasy, and everything in between addict. Most recently lots of Sanderson, Gaimon, and Pratchett.

I'm 27, and was introduced to the podcasts about a month ago, and then flash contest really peaked my interest. Combine that with the gauntlet thrown down by a friend over a couple growlers of microbrew, "Wait, weren't you an English major? How come you haven't written anything?" *insert feeble no idea/suck at grammar & spelling/zombies ate my rough draft defense* By the end of the growler I had my idea for not just a modified and portable potato gun, cuz fire pretty :D, not just my flash fiction submission, but also an entire science fantasy series worked out. Still blowing the dust off as I haven't written anything since college but please be blunt and as cutting as you choose on any piece of mine (safe phrase = Romero's Rump).

Other than that, tattoos = shiny :D

-Joe
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:46:17 PM by jrcalvo »

~Joe

Insurance Underwriter
Amateur Puppeteer
Fledgling Writer
Barbarian
King

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/JRCALVO

lolvizzini

• Extern
  • Making feet for childrens' shoes
Reply #244 on: May 25, 2010, 09:34:51 PM
I'm a 19 year old English major from Montana. I study lit, and I'm thinking about getting into education and becoming a K-12 librarian. I may also get some kind of CS minor.

I write a little bit, mostly poetry, and a few bad short stories. I'm better at criticizing other people's writing. As they say "those who can't write are bitter and are overly critical of those who can".

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #245 on: May 26, 2010, 10:32:49 PM
I'm a 19 year old English major from Montana. I study lit, and I'm thinking about getting into education and becoming a K-12 librarian. I may also get some kind of CS minor.

I write a little bit, mostly poetry, and a few bad short stories. I'm better at criticizing other people's writing. As they say "those who can't write are bitter and are overly critical of those who can".

Then you should join the Critique Group!  Talk to Heradel about getting in.  For the longest time, Listener and I were really lonely in there (except for cherished visits from eytanz), but we've gotten three or four new people just from the PodCastle contest!

Terri-Lynne

• Extern
Reply #246 on: June 14, 2010, 10:46:34 PM
I signed into Podcastle as Terri-Lynne, but I'm otherwise known as Bogwitch64. I've been listening to the stories here for quite a while, but only recently figured out how the rest of it works (Thanks, DKT!)

I'm a reader and a writer, have probably been both equally as long. I've got a book coming out in the fall. Considering I'm 46, all I can say is, "It's about damn time!"

anoved

• Extern
    • anoved.net
Reply #247 on: June 26, 2010, 10:35:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been listening to the Escape Artist podcasts for about six months now, so thought I might as well sign up for the forums. (I also started listening to the Drabblecast and StarShipSofa in the same timeframe.)

You might be interested or amused to read my haiku and limerick reviews of stories heard on these podcasts (or elsewhere): http://anoved.net/category/reviews/ They're not really reviews - just short synopses or random comments structured around the gimmick of a few lines of "poetry". It's fun to do, which is what counts, and hope to do more.

Jim

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #248 on: June 29, 2010, 05:32:43 AM
You should post those to the appropriate episode threads here on the board!

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
Reply #249 on: July 02, 2010, 04:15:51 AM
Hey fellow-forum goers
 I'm 22 and hailing from Canada. I work as an animator for kid's cartoons. I'm obsessed with Japanese pop music.
 I'm new to the boards but I've been listening to Escape Pod for the past 6 months, and I only recently started listening to Castle Pod as well. I've tasted some Pseudo Pod but I'm not really able to stomach it...
  I just decided to join the boards when I heard about the new Flash Fiction contest. I missed the deadline for the EP contest by one day (waa...) but at least I got writing again. Now I eagerly read everyone's entries.
  I hope to read some interesting discussions here and meet other fans of the podcasts!