Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 219543 times)

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Re: New Member/Listeners
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:42 AM »
Thank you, BDoomed (Love that username by the way). It's on the lighter side of thing with only a light gray twinge--no black in sight. The vamp/were thing is quite an odd little piece. The other definitely needs to go to pseudopod. Thank you so much, both of you. :)
I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2010, 01:08:25 PM »
So-- a quick question. Would vampires and werewolves now be considered Fantasy?

PC would totally never do a story with either vampires or werewolves. Although...I guess we kind of had some vampires tangentially in a recent one. But werewolves? Never.

*Whistles*

Seriously, though, for the purposes of this contest, it's up to you, and it's up to the listeners/readers. They might feel like a light-hearted story about vampires and werewolves doesn't feel horrible enough for PP. They might feel like horror archetypes don't quite work for PC. Ultimately, you have to decide which one it has a better chance at.

Good luck!

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »
So-- a quick question. Would vampires and werewolves now be considered Fantasy?

PC would totally never do a story with either vampires or werewolves. Although...I guess we kind of had some vampires tangentially in a recent one. But werewolves? Never.

*Whistles*

Seriously, though, for the purposes of this contest, it's up to you, and it's up to the listeners/readers. They might feel like a light-hearted story about vampires and werewolves doesn't feel horrible enough for PP. They might feel like horror archetypes don't quite work for PC. Ultimately, you have to decide which one it has a better chance at.

Good luck!

LOL... you are a funny one, aren't you? :) Thank you for answering, though. I did make that decision (to send for PC), and I think it's light enough to be okay as a fantasy piece (I promise that nothing sparkles or has an alabaster brow. I swear). I hope it works as fantasy, at any rate. Thanks again, man. :D
I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

jrcalvo

• Palmer
    • J. R. Calvo: The Official Site
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »
Hi y'all! I'm Joe and I'm a scifi, fantasy, and everything in between addict. Most recently lots of Sanderson, Gaimon, and Pratchett.

I'm 27, and was introduced to the podcasts about a month ago, and then flash contest really peaked my interest. Combine that with the gauntlet thrown down by a friend over a couple growlers of microbrew, "Wait, weren't you an English major? How come you haven't written anything?" *insert feeble no idea/suck at grammar & spelling/zombies ate my rough draft defense* By the end of the growler I had my idea for not just a modified and portable potato gun, cuz fire pretty :D, not just my flash fiction submission, but also an entire science fantasy series worked out. Still blowing the dust off as I haven't written anything since college but please be blunt and as cutting as you choose on any piece of mine (safe phrase = Romero's Rump).

Other than that, tattoos = shiny :D

-Joe
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:46:17 PM by jrcalvo »
~Joe

Insurance Underwriter
Amateur Puppeteer
Fledgling Writer
Barbarian
King

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/JRCALVO

lolvizzini

• Extern
  • Making feet for childrens' shoes
« Reply #244 on: May 25, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »
I'm a 19 year old English major from Montana. I study lit, and I'm thinking about getting into education and becoming a K-12 librarian. I may also get some kind of CS minor.

I write a little bit, mostly poetry, and a few bad short stories. I'm better at criticizing other people's writing. As they say "those who can't write are bitter and are overly critical of those who can".

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »
I'm a 19 year old English major from Montana. I study lit, and I'm thinking about getting into education and becoming a K-12 librarian. I may also get some kind of CS minor.

I write a little bit, mostly poetry, and a few bad short stories. I'm better at criticizing other people's writing. As they say "those who can't write are bitter and are overly critical of those who can".

Then you should join the Critique Group!  Talk to Heradel about getting in.  For the longest time, Listener and I were really lonely in there (except for cherished visits from eytanz), but we've gotten three or four new people just from the PodCastle contest!
---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

Terri-Lynne

• Extern
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
I signed into Podcastle as Terri-Lynne, but I'm otherwise known as Bogwitch64. I've been listening to the stories here for quite a while, but only recently figured out how the rest of it works (Thanks, DKT!)

I'm a reader and a writer, have probably been both equally as long. I've got a book coming out in the fall. Considering I'm 46, all I can say is, "It's about damn time!"

anoved

• Extern
    • anoved.net
« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2010, 05:35:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been listening to the Escape Artist podcasts for about six months now, so thought I might as well sign up for the forums. (I also started listening to the Drabblecast and StarShipSofa in the same timeframe.)

You might be interested or amused to read my haiku and limerick reviews of stories heard on these podcasts (or elsewhere): http://anoved.net/category/reviews/ They're not really reviews - just short synopses or random comments structured around the gimmick of a few lines of "poetry". It's fun to do, which is what counts, and hope to do more.

Jim

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2010, 12:32:43 AM »
You should post those to the appropriate episode threads here on the board!

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
« Reply #249 on: July 01, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »
Hey fellow-forum goers
 I'm 22 and hailing from Canada. I work as an animator for kid's cartoons. I'm obsessed with Japanese pop music.
 I'm new to the boards but I've been listening to Escape Pod for the past 6 months, and I only recently started listening to Castle Pod as well. I've tasted some Pseudo Pod but I'm not really able to stomach it...
  I just decided to join the boards when I heard about the new Flash Fiction contest. I missed the deadline for the EP contest by one day (waa...) but at least I got writing again. Now I eagerly read everyone's entries.
  I hope to read some interesting discussions here and meet other fans of the podcasts!

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
« Reply #250 on: July 01, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
  I just decided to join the boards when I heard about the new Flash Fiction contest. I missed the deadline for the EP contest by one day (waa...) but at least I got writing again. Now I eagerly read everyone's entries.

Psst:

Actually, Escape Pod contest starts on July 5th.  I'm still accepting stories until July 4th, midnight Pacific Daylight Time.

And welcome.  :)
"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

DToland

• Matross
  • Imagine Tomorrow - Bring it to life.
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
Hello, fellow Pod People.

I'm an as yet unpublished writer in my second half century.  I am a software engineer by profession, and a scientist by training.  Most of what I write is science fiction, but I dabble in other genres as well.

A friend told me about this site, and the Escape Pod Flash Competition, so I decided to join.

-Dave

(PS - If you believe you recognize me from elsewhere, I'd appreciate it if you please keep it to yourself.  Thanks.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 08:15:02 PM by DToland »

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2010, 08:10:20 PM »
Welcome, Dave!  And good luck in the contest... just so long as you don't edge out my stories.

Seraphim

• Matross
« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
I just signed up recently having learned of Escape Pod by way of Dead Robot Society by way of Raygun Revival.  I saw the contest and it piqued my interest...so I started reading the forums, being who I am was soon enough chiming in with my earnest, heartfelt, and utterly unsolicited opinions.

Otherwise I'm an over 50 English teacher and occasional technical writer from the deep South with aspirations of literary nichedom. Generally speaking I'm an amiable curmudgeon. Innovation and individualism are way overrated in the creative arts in my book...much more the fan of traditional forms in the hands of those who master them. What I like to see is creative self-negation rather than self-expression.  This is not to say I never appreciate novelty, but I appreciate it more when done by those who have mastered the traditional....basically until you can awe me with a sonnet, or grip me with a narrative told in iambic hexameter, don't bore me with self-indulgent free verse.  See, I told you I'm a curmudgeon...I really am.

The test I apply to my own writing above and beyond all proofreading is to read it aloud, over and over and over...and if I don't hear music in the words, or if the cadence and flow of any part jar me I won't like it, and have to fix it, or at least try to.

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »

Psst:

Actually, Escape Pod contest starts on July 5th.  I'm still accepting stories until July 4th, midnight Pacific Daylight Time.

And welcome.  :)

Thank you very much! I managed to submit in time :)

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »
Hey all. 

I'm an unemployed (hopefully soon to change) 33 y.o. research biochemist/chemical engineer down here in Atlanta who grew up in the midwest.  My hobby is collecting truly atrocious (as well as genuinely good) horror movies, subjecting my friends to them, and dabbling around the edges of other genres.  I came to escape artists through an article on podcasts (in Rue Morgue) pointing me to Pseudopod, and caught up on all the sci-fi and fantasy as well because I'm an obsessive completist.  Been following them all for quite a while now (good for working at the more boring procedures under the hood) but didn't visit the boards until the recent flash contest.

I'd like to write more, but always seem to have my free time stolen from me.  Stupid gnomes.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
Oh fine. Since MCW finally showed up here I suppose I should say "hi" officially. I am 34yo anesthesiologist here in sunny California. Most of you that are reading the flash contest already know a lot of that from me having a Major Grousing Attack on occasion. I found Escape Pod and then Pod Castle via a friend at work who caught me reading Asimov's. Not listening to Psuedopod because I'm that person, that still, after all this time puts her hands over her eyes or hides behind the couch at certain scenes in almost all horror films. I have never seen all of Silence of the Lambs, for instance.

I have always wanted to write and I am trying to wedge it into my life right now. The Flash Contest has been a great set of training wheels, although, to my horror, I have realized that all that excellent English that I learned in college and before, has been shoved clean out of my head by Medical Knowledge. Although I'm sure my patients are grateful for this, I still want to bang my head against the desk every time Scattercat mentions the past perfect tense, or any other tense for that matter. What the Hell are Those?

Nice to meet you all. Really. I have been a closeted Geek for so long that this is like the biggest breath the real me has ever taken.
“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2010, 02:53:41 PM »
I have always wanted to write and I am trying to wedge it into my life right now. The Flash Contest has been a great set of training wheels, although, to my horror, I have realized that all that excellent English that I learned in college and before, has been shoved clean out of my head by Medical Knowledge. Although I'm sure my patients are grateful for this, I still want to bang my head against the desk every time Scattercat mentions the past perfect tense, or any other tense for that matter. What the Hell are Those?

Well, those training wheels certainly worked out well for you, didn't they?   ;D

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »

Then you should join the Critique Group!  Talk to Heradel about getting in.  For the longest time, Listener and I were really lonely in there (except for cherished visits from eytanz), but we've gotten three or four new people just from the PodCastle contest!

And by talk to me you should Private Message me with the header reading something like "I want to join the crit group". (Look to the left of the text you're reading right now, under the avatar of my eye (It is blue, and has a bit of my nose and entirety of my left eyebrow) there will be an icon of a speech balloon that you can click that will bring up the private message dialog).
I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
« Reply #259 on: August 04, 2010, 10:45:51 PM »
I am not new, but since I was gone for a while, I figured I may as well post here.  I went by Zathras, left, and returned.  The details are in old threads, and that is as much of that mess that I want to dredge up.  I am a small business owner and am actively expanding my company.  While I will normally come across as a goof or just plain angry, I am capable of more insightful conversation.
Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.