Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361546 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #275 on: October 06, 2010, 08:00:44 AM
Nice to finally be involved on here.

Welcome! Nice to have you aboard.

Denis

• Extern
Reply #276 on: October 07, 2010, 01:14:16 PM
Just wanted to say hi. I created an account here a while ago and I often read the forum. Just haven't commented much.

Maplesugar

• Palmer
Reply #277 on: October 13, 2010, 09:02:38 PM
Hey folks, I've been listening to EA since March 2010, and finally decided I should join the forums, share my 2 cents worth.

I'm studying Philosophy in University, aiming to become a schoolteacher later.

I've been into sci-fi and fantasy since my mom read The Hobbit and The Once and Future King out loud to us by flickering campfire light on summer camping trips.  Never been quite able to fit in with Muggles since.

Cheers!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #278 on: October 14, 2010, 01:39:28 AM
Heya folks! Maplesugar you have one awesome Mum.

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
Reply #279 on: October 29, 2010, 05:36:11 PM

I'm a high school student from Ottawa, Ontario, the world capitol of boring.

Hello to fellow Ottawa person!

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #280 on: November 16, 2010, 10:31:10 AM
herp-a-derp!

Hello everyone, I'm Alex.

I was recently told about these three awesome Podcasts by a friend and it only took me 6 episodes to fall in love. While I love reading we all know that there's only so much time in the world, so listening to stories seems like a really good way of getting more stories down my mental gullet. It's also struck me how different the experience of listening to a story is from reading it.

Anyway, I'm currently in Limbo between school and university, using my year off to gain valuable life experience Down Under a to write as loads. Yes I'm a writer. I have been writing a blog for a couple of years now and have recently started writing regularly for Downright Fiction E-Magazine (or will when the second issue is released...). I'd love to make a living from my writing, especially fiction, although I also love writing reviews, rants and pretty much anything.

I'm going to study Ancient History at uni and like to write historical fiction, as well as speculative fiction and fantasy. I've not dabbled too much in Sci-fi or horror, but to be honest I'm pretty open to new stuff.

So enough about me! Keep up the good work pod-people and I look forward to getting to know all you forumites and having a bit of fun.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #281 on: November 17, 2010, 01:41:43 AM
Welcome Alex/iamafish! Hope you enjoy yourself.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #282 on: November 17, 2010, 05:10:00 AM
Hello everyone, I'm Alex.
Welcome, Alex! This is hands down the best forum i've ever been a part of. Hope you enjoy it around here, too!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #283 on: November 18, 2010, 12:31:45 AM
Hello, Alex! Thanks for saying hi!

DrMcCoy

• Extern
    • drmccoy.de
Reply #284 on: December 19, 2010, 02:23:24 PM
Hej hej. I'm Sven, German, Computer Science / Electrical Engineering student, GNU/Linux fanatic and general geek.
In my spare time, I mostly work on ScummVM and far too many side projects I probably won't ever finish (like eos).

I've been listening to Escape Pod for a few months now, trying to work through the backlog, and am now branching out to PodCastle and Pseudopod too. Really love the awesome work you do here :).

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #285 on: January 03, 2011, 05:00:36 PM
Welcome, good doctor!

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #286 on: January 03, 2011, 08:51:49 PM
Whoo! A Trekki and GNU/Linux geek!
I thought we were a dying breed...
Also I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but ScummVM is one of the coolest projects out there, and I'm excited to be sharing a forum with one of the devels.
It brings my childhood back in stunning 16-bit graphics.
If you people don't know what it is, go check it out. In a word, it's an emulator for old games. I have it on my Linux tablet and that's mostly what I do with it.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #287 on: January 06, 2011, 04:42:34 AM
Hey! I thought I'd actually introduce myself since I've been around a short time now. :)

I'm 26yo who loves to read and who also works as a researcher in an HIV lab. I spent 8 years reading only classics (mainly British and Russian) and then branched out into a hodge-podge of sf/f, classics I missed along the way, historical fiction, and a sprinkling of modern fiction/non-fiction. The Redwall series is a serious favorite of mine, and Chaim Potok is in my top 5 authors ever. :)

I listen to bunches of podcasts (sometimes 5 or 6 hours per day) at work while doing my experiments and have loved escape pod ever since I discovered it a little over a year ago. I've also recently gotten into podcastle and it has quickly become another favorite. I think it speaks to the quality of these 'casts when I choose an EA story of unknown length (always an important factor when pairing a podcast with an experiment that restricts my access to my ipod) over This American Life or Wait Wait. :)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #288 on: January 06, 2011, 06:26:16 AM
Hey! I thought I'd actually introduce myself since I've been around a short time now. :)

I'm 26yo who loves to read and who also works as a researcher in an HIV lab. I spent 8 years reading only classics (mainly British and Russian) and then branched out into a hodge-podge of sf/f, classics I missed along the way, historical fiction, and a sprinkling of modern fiction/non-fiction. The Redwall series is a serious favorite of mine, and Chaim Potok is in my top 5 authors ever. :)

I listen to bunches of podcasts (sometimes 5 or 6 hours per day) at work while doing my experiments and have loved escape pod ever since I discovered it a little over a year ago. I've also recently gotten into podcastle and it has quickly become another favorite. I think it speaks to the quality of these 'casts when I choose an EA story of unknown length (always an important factor when pairing a podcast with an experiment that restricts my access to my ipod) over This American Life or Wait Wait. :)

Welcome, and glad you're enjoying the 'casts. :)

Mister Freign

• Extern
  • Hungry Flower
Reply #289 on: January 23, 2011, 12:50:32 AM
Hi.  

I'm cranky, and uninhibited about it.  I'm more open and forthcoming with criticism than praise, but my praise comes from a place that is usually more sincerely felt.  I am ridiculously overintelligent and yet lacking in that graceful modesty which sometimes redeems such a curse.  I try to make up for that by being on-point and colorful, if not precisely lovable, per se.  Point me toward the sacred cow; I make good burgers.  I find they are tastier when someone is gaping in teary-eyed horror as I munch happily on them. I love human beings; my soul adores everything about us, even the stuff others reflexively eschew, despise, or crusade against.

Like WHitney Houston, I believe the Children Are Our Future - perhaps unlike her, though, I see that our true children are The Machines.  Treat them well; let them lead the way.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #290 on: January 23, 2011, 01:51:03 AM
Welcome, Mister Freign. I've enjoyed your posts so far. :)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #291 on: January 23, 2011, 07:43:01 AM
Welcome, Mister Freign. I've enjoyed your posts so far. :)

At the risk of seeming like a "ME TOO" person... me too. :-)

BlueLu

• Palmer
    • www.lenacoakley.com
Reply #292 on: January 23, 2011, 05:11:34 PM
Oh, there's a hello thread!  Hello!  My name is Lena and I'm an enormous PodCastle and EscapePod fan.  (I'm afraid I rarely listen to horror as it tends to leave me gripping my bedsheets and staring at the ceiling all night.)  I live in Toronto and work for a non-profit children's authors and illustrators society.  My first novel, A YA high fantasy called Witchlanders will be out this fall from Simon & Schuster.  Nice to see some fellow Canadians!

Lena

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #293 on: January 23, 2011, 06:28:33 PM
Oh, there's a hello thread!  Hello!  My name is Lena and I'm an enormous PodCastle and EscapePod fan.  (I'm afraid I rarely listen to horror as it tends to leave me gripping my bedsheets and staring at the ceiling all night.)  I live in Toronto and work for a non-profit children's authors and illustrators society.  My first novel, A YA high fantasy called Witchlanders will be out this fall from Simon & Schuster.  Nice to see some fellow Canadians!

Welcome, and congrats on the novel. That's awesome. :)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #294 on: January 24, 2011, 02:15:56 AM

Welcome BlueLu,

There are even fellow Torontonians here too. Maybe we'll have enough for a meet-up soon ;)

BlueLu

• Palmer
    • www.lenacoakley.com
Reply #295 on: January 25, 2011, 07:13:24 PM
Thank you both!

There are even fellow Torontonians here too. Maybe we'll have enough for a meet-up soon ;)

Hey, I'd go!

Lena

tinygaia

• Peltast
Reply #296 on: January 31, 2011, 02:40:27 AM
I guess I should say “Hi” on the “Hi” thread.

Hi. I'm Toria. I’m a school librarian but I’m between schools at the moment: my husband and I moved across the country right before Christmas when he found a new job. I spend my days volunteering at the public library, unpacking our junk at our new place, and writing horrible fiction. My hobbies include reading several books a week, playing video games, and practicing yoga.

Podcastle #1 was my first podcast ever – it premiered the same day I plugged in my ipod and said “I wonder what this ‘podcast’ button is for…” so it was fate. I’ve also been listening to Escape Pod since then, but not Pseudopod. Alasdair does have a sexy and inviting voice, but I’m a coward, and my morning commute was before-sunrise-it’s-dark-and-scary-out-here. Maybe I’ll try it again now that I mostly listen at the gym.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #297 on: February 01, 2011, 01:30:57 AM
...and my morning commute was before-sunrise-it’s-dark-and-scary-out-here. Maybe I’ll try it again now that I mostly listen at the gym.

MUWAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh, and hi. Welcome!

asgardian

• Extern
Reply #298 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:49 AM
Hey - there's a hello thread - wait.. Someone said that already.....

Hi Cthulu - long time listener, first time caller....

I'm a thirty-something west coast Canadian boy that dabbles in short fiction, poetry and articles -  even had a few published in local mags over the years.  Been listening on and off to Pod Castle and Escape Pod for over a year now, and recently just got caught up for the second time, and now I'm about to dive into Pseudo Pod.  These podcasts have penetrated my life to the level that I'm not sure what I would do on my commute without them, so a thank-you to all the fine folks at Escape Artists - keep up the great work!

“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.” - Tolkin

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #299 on: February 01, 2011, 07:04:57 AM
Heya asgardian! That's one scary-looking avatar you have.