Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 362065 times)

asgardian

• Extern
Reply #300 on: February 01, 2011, 07:34:47 AM
The real story behind the avatar is less interesting than it looks.  I caught one of our cats yawning.  I happened to get it at that moment that made her look like she was going to leap up and scratch my eyes out - other than a quick crop there was no Photo-shop involved - honest :-)

“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.” - Tolkin

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #301 on: February 02, 2011, 02:49:34 AM
Nice.  :)

Welcome to the fold!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #302 on: February 06, 2011, 06:03:18 AM
It like the Party-Line in here! HI! I'm Keith and I'm an Aquarius, no now I'm a Capricorn. I use to work in radio and now I just work. Love the shows and I am so glad I found such a cool place to hang. So who brought the chips?

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #303 on: February 06, 2011, 06:09:16 AM
The chips are already down...

welcome though

FoggyEthan

• Extern
Reply #304 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:37 AM
I've been listening to EscapePod and PodCastle for a couple years now, but this is my first post. Why? Because I only just today caught up with both podcasts, starting from episode 1 of each. I am now finally listening to the episodes as they air. And there was much rejoicing.

I want to offer my thanks to all the people who've worked on the two podcasts, from the beginning through the present. Thanks to the narrators, hosts, authors, and all the behind-the-scenes people. It's good stuff. (Well, usually... There was that episode about the... 8)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #305 on: March 07, 2011, 09:21:56 AM
Welcome kind sir!  Feel free to poke around, resurrect a thread if you feel you have something to add (we do not ban threadomancy here, especially over at Pseudopod :P)

Hope you find yourself at home here

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #306 on: March 07, 2011, 05:38:32 PM
I've been listening to EscapePod and PodCastle for a couple years now, but this is my first post. Why? Because I only just today caught up with both podcasts, starting from episode 1 of each. I am now finally listening to the episodes as they air. And there was much rejoicing.

I want to offer my thanks to all the people who've worked on the two podcasts, from the beginning through the present. Thanks to the narrators, hosts, authors, and all the behind-the-scenes people. It's good stuff. (Well, usually... There was that episode about the... 8)

I remember that stage! It's followed quickly by the "Is the new EP/PC story up yet?"

*REFRESH REFRESH REFRESH*

Glad to have you here, and thanks for saying hello!

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #307 on: March 16, 2011, 09:17:54 PM

Welcome! And definitely give PsuedoPod a try. I put off listening to it for ages, but now I prefer it over the sci-fi stories, generally speaking.

sketchylines

• Extern
  • http://sketchy-lines.blogspot.com/
    • Sketchy Lines
Reply #308 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:32 AM
Hi, I'm 19 years old, Singaporean girl, always wanted to be an astronaut since 8 yrs old, but fate has put me in the architecture/design field. I've been obsessed with outer space since I was a kid, started out read pop physics books at 13, then progressed on to science fiction short stories. I read science fiction anthologies regularly, because I believe the short story is the purest, most incisive form of science fiction.

Favourites include: Ted Chiang, Nancy Kress, Ursula K Leguin and Samuel R Delaney.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #309 on: April 25, 2011, 11:11:05 AM
Welcome Sketchylines. Hope you stick around, its a good community here.

Corcoran

• Palmer
    • My shop-page (Only in German)
Reply #310 on: June 09, 2011, 04:11:34 PM
Hello together. I am 50, listening for years, but because of lack of time I am not really catching up, so I started a least to listen to the new podcastle stories, so I can post an opinion on stories that are out of date.
I am selfemployed with a little shop and a webshop, hence the lack of time. I sell ....mostly cotton rope.

A lot of boardsgames gather dust, I stopped buying books, when the unread pile reached frustrating heights.
But between work and familiy I sometimes find some work, that allows me to listen to podcasts. I´m from germany, so please excuse the funny english. Germany is a great place to live at the moment, what do you need Fantasy, when you live in interestinge times ?  ;D

I have the kids, cats and whatever you´re supposed to have at my age.
Since I wrote and deleted the next few sentences again and again I take that as a sign to stop.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #311 on: June 11, 2011, 07:05:14 AM
Heya Corcoran, good to have you on board! Look around, take in the sights, post a few opinions -- join in! Hope you enjoy.

Brynn

• Extern
Reply #312 on: July 12, 2011, 03:12:40 AM
Hey all,

Been listening to the podcasts for a few months now, and always wondered about the contributors of PodCastle's episode feedback. Who are all these mysterious and insightful people, I thought? I must know them!

So, here I am. :)  Good to meet all of you :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #313 on: July 12, 2011, 07:45:04 AM
Hiya!  How are your beanplating skills?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #314 on: July 12, 2011, 03:29:24 PM
Hey all,

Been listening to the podcasts for a few months now, and always wondered about the contributors of PodCastle's episode feedback. Who are all these mysterious and insightful people, I thought? I must know them!

So, here I am. :)  Good to meet all of you :)

Welcome, welcome!

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #315 on: July 14, 2011, 03:51:08 PM
I usually don't post in the 'Hi threads' in older established communities as I usually doubt any of the older denizens go to the shallows, but, hey what the hell. I'll give it a go. This place seems to be different and I like different, even when different leaves a few scars.

So here goes nothing. Hi all, Spindaddy here. You can call me what you like as the evolution of 'Spindaddy' started years ago before the internet was a series of tubes. The name was birthed as a reference to a William Gibson book I particularly enjoyed. The name went downhill rapidly as will anything which involves a group 17 year old boys. Over the years, most have come to call me 'Spin' and while a few have called me 'daddy', safe words and cuffs aside, refer to me as you wish. I'm a recovering video game addict where I lost most of my brain matter to MMOs and other escapist pursuits. What was left of my soul has been soaked in writing horrendous fanfiction, deviant works and for a few months I wrote some really trashy stuff that is probably still hanging out somewhere on deviantart. I haven't quite given up on writing, but in view of so many successful writers, I feel my cheap crayon scribblings should probably best kept to the shadows until I can graduate to colored pencils.

Um... I'm not a terribly interesting person, but I have been labeled "flypaper for weirdoes". I have a penchant for ending up in ridiculous situations where, as I tell the story, I hear a male 1950's voice in my head saying "Had Spin thought his actions through, none of this would ever have happened." It's safe to say I'm not an intellectual and I dislike thinking too long on the macroform. I'm a working cog in the machine and I'm the best cog that I can be. As joke I once referred to myself as the "Base Unit of Badass" among friends and now moviestar action heroes are measured in 'Spin Units'.(I randomly decided I was the base unit because I'm roughly the size of an undernourished ogre. I was amused with constantly hearing the words "This guy was big, like Spin here, except he was slightly taller/more muscular/etc/etc...." )

I have an obscene love of all things silly and ridiculous--Internet memes and stupid jokes make me laugh. I have a blinding hatred of white knights and faux damsels, so I feel in my afterlife, I'll likely to sup in Valhalla as the only berserker pacifist. I love food, especially any food that is inherently bad for you. I don't bother with logic and I substitute my own reality not because it's more convenient, but due to it's ability to cause a ruckus. I know the secret joys of sunrises and sunsets in a distopian society and believe that good and evil are relative terms for bards and historians to bandy about as they see fit. I try to live in the Now, but I have the sneaking suspicion it's passed me by when I stopped to smell the roses. I'm not a special little snowflake, I'm that guy... yes THAT guy. I'm probably your neighbor, or perhaps someone you worked with for years. I'm not a fly in your soup, but I'll stick one in your ointment.

In closing, my grammar is horrible, but my grandma loves me.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #316 on: July 14, 2011, 05:31:10 PM
Hehe, awesome introduction. Hallo thar and welcome aboard (get it?? AHAHA I slay me).

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #317 on: July 14, 2011, 05:33:03 PM
Hey there, Spindaddy and Brynn! Good to have you here :)

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #318 on: July 15, 2011, 12:54:40 AM
Hehe, awesome introduction. Hallo thar and welcome aboard (get it?? AHAHA I slay me).
ARRRRR!!!

Did I mention I'm also pirate > ninja? I assure, its mostly about the awesome style and I'm partial to rum.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #319 on: July 15, 2011, 01:23:26 AM
ARRRRR!!!

Did I mention I'm also pirate > ninja? I assure, its mostly about the awesome style and I'm partial to rum.

Thus you are on the side of righteousness!

Pirates FTW :P

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #320 on: July 15, 2011, 03:13:54 AM
...as I usually doubt any of the older denizens go to the shallows, but, hey what the hell. I'll give it a go.

Denizens. Bwahahaha. We has monster sharks.

NomadicScribe

• Palmer
Reply #321 on: July 22, 2011, 01:20:10 AM
Hi, just thought I'd check into this thread. I discovered Escape Pod through Geek's Guide to the Galaxy. I love narrated fiction and audio books. I grew up with my mother reading to me, and I reading to my siblings. So Escape Pod and Podcastle are now two of my favorite podcasts. I write my own fiction and hope to someday see my work in print!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #322 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:57 AM
Hi, just thought I'd check into this thread. I discovered Escape Pod through Geek's Guide to the Galaxy. I love narrated fiction and audio books. I grew up with my mother reading to me, and I reading to my siblings. So Escape Pod and Podcastle are now two of my favorite podcasts. I write my own fiction and hope to someday see my work in print!

Welcome NS! Glad you're enjoying it!

bluetube

• Palmer
  • Old geeza.
Reply #323 on: January 24, 2012, 09:02:49 AM
Hi all. Just want to say "hello", as I've finally got around to joining the forum.  ;D

I've been a listener to Escape Pod since late 2011, after hearing an interview with Escape Pod editor Steve Eley in an archived edition (#7) of the "Geek's Guide To The Galaxy" podcast.  (They recently moved from io9 to their own site at geeksguideshow dot com. If you haven't tried the GGG podcast, I recommend taking a look.)

I'm pleased to have found the Escape Pod site and started out with the "Best of Feed" for a flavour of the kind of stories I might expect. Needless to say, I am now a regular listener (via my Android phone, using the DoggCatcher app).

I've enjoyed good sci-fi since my early-teens when I read all the Asimov I could lay my hands on, moving on to Philip K Dick and Harry Harrison, among others. That was many (many) years ago.  Lately, I've been catching up on the John Carter Barsoom series (which completely passed me by), some of China Mieville's books (Embassy Town and The City & The City) and The Jack Stein Omnibus by Jay Caselberg which I found via the Kindle books list. My most recent reads are Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and the new English translation (by Bill Johnston) of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris.

Well, that's all for now. I look forward to joining in the discussions here on the forum.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #324 on: January 24, 2012, 12:29:28 PM
Hi Bluetube! Glad to see a fellow hitchhiker. :P

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!