Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361400 times)

Steven Saus

• Matross
  • mmmm. goat cheese.
    • Ideatrash
Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 04:12:09 AM
(Hi, my name is Steve, and....  Oh.  You knew that.)

I'm Jeffrey R. DeRego, the writer of the Union Dues stories e!

Hi! I'm J.R. Blackwell. I am a writer and photographer and I live in the Philadelphia area.

[a la Wayne & Garth]
I'm not worthy!  I'm not worthy!
[/Wayne & Garth]

Er.  Yeah.

Sorry, I'm dealing with fanboy-shock.   Badly dealing, mind you, but dealing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 04:17:57 AM by uriel1998 »

Walking is the process of controlled stumbling.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 05:28:22 AM
(And thanks, Moose!)

Moose? you directin that towards me (sorry some peeps call me Moose online... i looove moose!)

[a la Wayne & Garth]
I'm not worthy!  I'm not worthy!
[/Wayne & Garth]

Er.  Yeah.

Sorry, I'm dealing with fanboy-shock.   Badly dealing, mind you, but dealing.
yea i was just as surprised as you to find these peeps on here (except Steve of course)
i love Voices of Tomorrow
and Union Dues....
*splodes*

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

J.R. Blackwell

• Palmer
  • . . . jumps on hotel beds.
    • 365 Tomorrows
Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 05:04:05 PM
Hey Bdoomed. I'm glad you like Voices of Tomorrow! I like recording the episodes. It's cool to know that there are people who are out there that like what I'm doing.

. . .I guess that means I should put up this weeks episode then. . .

My Podcast: http://voicesoftomorrow.libsyn.com
My Blog:http://blackwell.livejournal.com/
My Photos:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrblackwell/

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 02:25:25 PM
Hello to all,

I'm a 23 yr old male and I study economics in Mannheim (Southern Germany).

Normally I'm more of a lurker but this forum is so cuddly I decided to post once or twice. (and I am currently doing a mindnumbingly boring internship, so I've got nothing better to do.)

Russell Nash

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 08:21:17 PM

Greetings from Berlin.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 01:24:44 PM
Hello everyone. 

I knew that if I looked long enough I'd find the introduce yourself thread.  I have been listening to Escape Pod for about six months, but I started at the (almost) beginning and don't have much free ear time, so it's taken me this long to catch up.  Well, almost catch up, I'm on episode 91.  Somehow, the episodes keep coming out.  Since I'm current now, I figured I could participate in the ongoing conversations about the episodes, so it was time to log into the forums.

I'm not, uh, all that interesting but I love SF, specially short stories, and I've been amazed at how much of Escape Pod's content I've really, really liked.  Thank you, Steve.  I'm also very opinionated, and will soon begin throwing around my reactions and analysis of stories as though they count.

(I also mumble mumble put a story in to the flash contest but found the idea of making an account and voting for myself too nerve-wracking to actually do.  Now that voting on my group is closed, it's safe, of course).  I love the idea of story as promo.  It's going to be great.  Good luck to all of you who have entered.

Some of my favorite Escape Pod stories have been "The Craphound", "L'Alchimista", and "Authorwerx".

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 09:04:16 AM

Greetings from Berlin.

And greetings back to you. How long do live in this pretty country?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 10:21:27 AM
I probably should have gotten to this thread before posting over a hundred times and becoming the number 6 lurker on the forums.

My name is William Peters, and I'm 1819(Edit: Updated) and a (on high school credits that carried over, didn't skip a grade) sophomore in college. I'm originally from DC (born in Foggy Bottom, if that means anything to any of you) and raised there my entire life up to the point where I moved to NYC for college. Uh... I'm trying to double major in English and Computer Science... The handle is a butchering of heretic and infidel from my militant atheist days freshman year of high school (I thought the A sounded better, plus the whole greek thing). And yeah, that's about it.

The SF/F addiction goes unstated. Except I just stated it. Hm. Damn Paradoxes.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 02:40:53 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 02:35:10 PM

Greetings from Berlin.

And greetings back to you. How long do live in this pretty country?

Almost six years now. Married a Berlin girl and she brought me here.

Are you originally from Mannheim or is that just for school?

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 02:51:00 PM
I'm originally from a small town ('bout 6K) near Ulm and go to university in Mannheim.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 03:35:38 PM
Hi!
I'm a 42 year-old married father of one that lives in Louisville, Ky.  As I said in another post somewhere, I'm the lamest excuse for and SF&F fan in the multi-verse - mostly because of what I haven't seen or read. I have always loved the genre (my love of reading started in the 2nd grade with the Narnia books) but I have so little free time, that I haven't been able to read nearly as much as I want to. I've been playing D&D (with mostly the same people) since around 1980 and most of my creative energy has been channeled into that.  Most of the stuff I've read in the last few years has been classic SF short stories - Fred Pohl, Alfred Bester, Asimov...  I think the most recent genre book I have read is "The Diamond Age."  I discovered Escape Pod back in November and have been addicted ever since. I've never taken a crack "real" writing. My writing career officially started when I entered the Escape Pod Flash contest. I decided that if I ever make it big, I'm going to refer to myself as "the old beast that came from Escape Pod."
Also, I am/have been a foster parent and am a cancer survivor (10 years now). Someday I'll write about each experience.

Sometimes I have to try hard not to take a "let me impart wisdom upon you" tone in my posts (not about writing, there are very nice people in the forums who know WAY more about writing then I'll ever know) or a "things I wish I had known when I was younger" post. If I had to say something, I'd say this: "Love your children. They are the greatest things you have in your life and you are the greatest things they have in their lives"  and "If you smoke, quit.  If you don't smoke, don't start. I've had cancer, though it was not smoking related, and having cancer sucks."
Ok, I said it.

Welcome!

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 11:35:18 PM
Oh, so this is where the introduce yourself thread has been hidden!  I've been looking all over for it.  Maybe this should be stickied?

I'm Hilary Moon Murphy, mom, librarian and fantasy writer.  My best friend Bret introduced me to Escapepod months ago, so I'm an unabashed fan.  He's also the one who pestered me to submit to you, Steve.

My story, "The Grand Cheat" was accepted (pause while Hmm checks watch) four hours ago.  I look forward to seeing what the Escape Artists do with it.

Hmm

PS Where is the new member FAQ?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 12:53:24 PM
Welcome Hilary!
I can't wait to hear your story.

As for the FAQ, we ain't got one.
At least on this incarnation of the forum (it's only like 4 months old) we haven't had any frequently asked questions. I think that's because there isn't too much history here for a new members can't just read a few threads and catch the vibe here. We don't have any real taboos, and everyone here has been really mature when dealing with some potentially inflammatory topics.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 02:59:09 PM
Welcome and congratulations!

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #39 on: April 06, 2007, 06:33:14 PM
Well I guess I may as well introduce myself.  I am a 37 year old male living in Waterford Michigan (NW suburb of Detroit) [handmap] I am right here [/handmap]  I think i found escape pod (might have been Pseudopod first) surfing on itunes for podcasts.  Escape Pod and Pseudopod have turned me on to almost every other podcast I listen too I think.  Escape Pod to Scott Sigler, Sigler to 7th Son, Sigler and 7th Son to Billibub Baddings.  Escape Pod pointed me to Podiobooks.com, Variant Frequencies, etc.  I am podcast Junkie, and I have Steve to thank for it.  Thanks Steve, I appreciate it, as around the same time frame my car died and I started using public transit, escaping into a podcast beats the hell out of interacting with some of the freaky things that ride the bus with me.    I have been a lifelong sci-fi/fantasy/horror fan.  I think i started on Tom Swift and ... books.   Waiting anxiously for more Union Dues (Thanks JRDerego).  I look forward all week to my escape pod and pseudopod updates. 

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #40 on: April 06, 2007, 07:55:11 PM
Well I guess I may as well introduce myself.  I am a 37 year old male living in Waterford Michigan (NW suburb of Detroit) [handmap] I am right here [/handmap]  I think i found escape pod (might have been Pseudopod first) surfing on itunes for podcasts.  Escape Pod and Pseudopod have turned me on to almost every other podcast I listen too I think.  Escape Pod to Scott Sigler, Sigler to 7th Son, Sigler and 7th Son to Billibub Baddings.  Escape Pod pointed me to Podiobooks.com, Variant Frequencies, etc.  I am podcast Junkie, and I have Steve to thank for it.  Thanks Steve, I appreciate it, as around the same time frame my car died and I started using public transit, escaping into a podcast beats the hell out of interacting with some of the freaky things that ride the bus with me.    I have been a lifelong sci-fi/fantasy/horror fan.  I think i started on Tom Swift and ... books.   Waiting anxiously for more Union Dues (Thanks JRDerego).  I look forward all week to my escape pod and pseudopod updates. 

Thanks for the kind words! "Union Dues: Send in the Clowns" is coming soon to Escape Pod :)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #41 on: April 06, 2007, 10:28:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words! "Union Dues: Send in the Clowns" is coming soon to Escape Pod :)

HORRAY!!!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 12:53:07 AM

HORRAY!!!
oh so seconded!!! i cant wait!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:42 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread in the hope that some of our new members will take a moment to introduce themselves.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #44 on: December 11, 2007, 11:59:57 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread in the hope that some of our new members will take a moment to introduce themselves.
Can you pin this to the top of the forums?

Peregrine

• Extern
Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 05:05:23 PM
Hello everybody.  I'm a new forum member, and have been listening to Escape Pod for about a year. 
I'm 24, and am studying in Norwich, UK- I'm actually from just outside of London. 
I found Escape Pod by searching for "science fiction podcast" in Google and haven't looked back.

qwints

• Peltast
  • A fine idea, but who bells cat?
Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 06:32:01 PM
Hi, I'm a 21 year old student from Austin. I found Escape Pod off of boing boing a few years ago and have listened to it on and off ever sense. It is probably my favorite pod cast, although I'm also a big fan of Skepticality.

The reason I joined the forums was to elongate the breaks I allowed myself from Escape Pod and because talking about science fiction is almost as good as reading it.

The lamp flared and crackled . . .
And Nevyrazimov felt better.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 07:54:53 PM
It is probably my favorite pod cast, although I'm also a big fan of Skepticality.

I am also a big fan of Skepticality.....have you tried Skeptic's Guide to the Universe?  That's my fav. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Russell Nash

Reply #48 on: December 12, 2007, 08:13:15 PM
Welcome Qwints.  I noticed you took no time getting right into one of our EPDebates©.  Have fun, don't take it personally, and no flaming, but kick some ass.  So far I'm mostly on your side.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #49 on: December 12, 2007, 09:39:05 PM
Okay, I'm not exactly new here anymore.  Started listening to Escape Pod about the time the hugo noms were being read.  Eventually joined the forums... well, I guess 10 weeks ago, since I started the first film poll pretty much right off. 

As for myself, I live near Seattle and break software for a living.  Have a physics degree, and had some ambitions of being an SF author, but I don't really have a gripping *need* to write.  I do love making up worlds and characters, but those get used for my roleplaying games. 

I live on a little ranch that has two horses, a few chickens, and six cats.  I ski, go dancing a lot, and of course ride horses.  I'm polyamorous, vaguely pagan, and plant a lot of trees.  I'm rather active in local science fiction conventions, and have even been an invited guest to Worldcon once. I'm probably most famous for founding the Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide. Despite running the film poll, I'm not an extraordinary cinemaphile, I just like polls - and movies are something that everyone has an opinion about. 

I listen to Pseudopod too, but I'm not much into horror.  If the stories don't grab me in about ten minutes it gets turned off.  I'm really looking forward to PodCastle though!