Author Topic: Gravity  (Read 4049 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: October 19, 2013, 01:15:01 AM
Recently saw Gravity in IMAX 3D, and thought it was amazing.  Both in spectacle and in it's simple but well executed story.  But mostly because they took some care to make the science and experience of being in space seem realistic.  They weren't perfect - I spotted a few scenes were they went for pretty over accurate zero gravity mechanics.  And quite a few places were our heroine gets thrown around enough that she really should have a concussion at the very least.

But still, I was really transported and on the edge of my seat.  I really recommend everyone go see it.  And the 3D works for this film, and this from someone who hates all the lame-ass 3D conversions that are popular for some unknown reason right now.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:18:23 AM
I'll ditto all that - very enjoyable movie and the images of last few moments are wonderfully symbolic.  Nice to see a powerful, engaging movie in the theater again - and just by treating us like adults!

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:44:33 AM
I'll third all of that. It's a seriously fantastic movie. :)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:45:14 PM
I really enjoyed it as well, though I didn't personally think the 3D added much (or maybe I'm just smarting because it was a $17 ticket...) Quite visually spectacular. It's nice to see a genuinely great movie do well at the box office, instead of say, another dreadful Transformers movie. Or Saw XXVVIIVVIIXXX.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:12:55 PM
I really enjoyed it as well, though I didn't personally think the 3D added much (or maybe I'm just smarting because it was a $17 ticket...) Quite visually spectacular. It's nice to see a genuinely great movie do well at the box office, instead of say, another dreadful Transformers movie. Or Saw XXVVIIVVIIXXX.

Haven't seen Gravity but I'm of the opinion that 3D ultimately adds nothing to a movie; it's a gimmick.
The only movie I actively chose to see in 3D was Avatar, and I'm glad I did, because pretty visuals were all that film had going for it. Every other modern 3D movie I've seen, it's been more of a distraction.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 05:22:21 PM
I completely agree with you.  3D is only worthwhile for Avatar... and Gravity.

Gravity has more going for it than pretty, but the 3D helps give a sense of distance in space.  It was well done and not obnoxious like so many other movies.  Before Gravity there was a 3D preview of The Hobbit part 2, and the 3D looked horrid.  Gravity though didn't make me keep thinking about the 3D, it just felt natural.  That's not something I've really experienced before.

Anyway, it's well worth seeing in 2D as well, to be sure!

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 03:19:10 AM
I liked this movie well enough. Sandra Bullock was great, and there were some shots were I literally couldn't breath because of how beautiful they were. The 3D did not work for me, but I think that may be a lack of depth perception on my side. Although, Avatar worked great for me in 3D. Wonder if IMAX screen vs normal screen is a different factor in terms of being able to perceive 3D? Either way, I ended the movie with a terrible headache, but still left pretty happy!

Citizen Q

• Extern
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:07:47 PM
On the subject of 3D, I read a term people are using to describe a certain gentle approach 3D as "conservative" 3D.

I believe GRAVITY used conservative 3D, as did PROMETHEUS. Both looked amazing for it.

I recall that AVATAR was probably more aggressive 3D (my term), in that it tried to bring objects in front of the cinema screen, whereas GRAVITY and PROMETHEUS mostly showed depth beyond the screen...an approach I much prefer. It is less taxing for your eyes, that's for sure.