Author Topic: PseudoPod 742: The Sea Thing  (Read 878 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: January 29, 2021, 06:11:55 PM
PseudoPod 742: The Sea Thing

Author: Frank Belknap Long
Narrator: Andrew Leman
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

This story was first published in Weird Tales, December 1925.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:22:40 PM
Interesting. Anything narrated by Andrew Leman is bound to be worth a listen. One nitpick: I wasn't crazy about the effect used while the narrator was reading from the old book.

Coincidentally, I recently listened to another pretty good story by Frank Belknap Long, "The Horror in the Hold."  It's as much an adventure story than a horror story I suppose but it's still worth a read. Before these two stories I had only read a couple of FBL stories before, and both of them were very much in the HPL  "scary geometry/indescribable colours" vein and I wasn't very impressed.

Alasdair Stuart is right - there's just something special about ocean based horror stories. Speaking of our host, an episode he narrated "The Last Sailing of the Henry Charles Morgan in Six Pieces of Scrimshaw (1841)" is not only a great "horror on the high seas" story, it's also one of the very best (imo) Pseudopod episodes of all time.

Pseudopod episode #250 "The Voice in the Night" is also another sea tale that is quite good. The podcast Tales to Terrify also does a nice version.

Edited to add: The story "The Ocean Ogre" that appeared in the July 1937 issue of Weird Tales is very similar to this one. It's credited to an author named Dana Carroll.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:15:45 PM by Marlboro »