Author Topic: PC285: Dragonslayer  (Read 10441 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 09:11:51 AM
Hmm.  How good would Sir Timor be at fighting a dragon if he's not willing to use all of the draconic dirty tricks, though?  ;-)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 03:27:17 PM
Hmm.  How good would Sir Timor be at fighting a dragon if he's not willing to use all of the draconic dirty tricks, though?  ;-)

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that twist either. My thought was Full On Epic Dragon Battle! Rawr!!! Haha, like I said, your version is better. :D

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 04:57:33 PM

Two words: rap battle! :D

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

olivaw

• Matross
Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:11 AM
Really liked this one. Naming magic has always been powerful, but to turn that on its head - 'who are you' - question magic is pregnant with possibility. Although even when it wasn't magic, just a philosophical question that changed a dragon's life, that was pretty cool. St Buddha and the Dragon, or something

I did find Lessa a little annoying, for some reason. The obviously perceptive kid just threw the cosy balance without taking it anywhere. And then she rides in as the cavalry - is she also a dragon? - is the horse a dragon? - is she a dragonrider like her namesake? - and it's a cool scene but kind of dropped as window-dressing for the transformations of the core protagonists.

Another thing that worries me from time to time, especially in fantasy, is when a person is persistently described as 'dark'. What is the author getting at? Is it a physical/ethnic description? Is it some kind of ringwraith where only the clothes are seen? Is it indicating mood or the darkness of the soul? Here I get that it's the traditional 'dark knight' thing, and the story's all about traditional labels, but I wonder how helpful it is to use 'dark _person_' as a negative epithet over any other.