Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: Pseudopod 361: The Murmurous Paleoscope  (Read 9504 times)

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 02:40:14 PM
I've been away from the 'Pod for a few years and this story was my first reintroduction, and what a pleasure it was. There's no doubt that I'm a sucker for Lovecraftian 'unseen horrors'; there's just something about an author setting the stage but letting my mind populate it with nightmares that I find satisfying in a story. The steampunk was not integral to the plot, but it's an aesthetic I enjoy and I think it was well used. For instance, the details about the heroine's care for the lens seemed genuine, rather than contrived just to show of a device.

As for the medium the story was told in: Pseudopod, like all great horrors, hasn't aged a day, but oh, how it's might has grown! I've consumed a dozen or so stories in the last couple days and I'm delighted hearing not only the quality of voice work, but the stories that have been chosen. They're all beautiful, fleshed-out, quality stories.
My hat is off to the editors, directors, readers, slush readers, and those-who-shall-not-be-named, that have been making this possible.

Praise N-sh. ;)

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 02:59:50 AM
On behalf of everyone who works very hard on this podcast, thank you for your appreciation!

eytanz

Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 11:54:50 AM
So, I'm catching up on the massive backlog I've developed over the past few months, and have now gotten to this story. Loved it, for all the reasons elaborated by others above, so no need for me to get into detail.

I do wonder if I'm the only one, who, upon listening to this story, wondered if either one of the creatures survived - or, alternatively, one of their distant descendants still lives free - and can be found down by the sea.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 03:42:22 AM
I've been away from the 'Pod for a few years and this story was my first reintroduction, and what a pleasure it was. There's no doubt that I'm a sucker for Lovecraftian 'unseen horrors'; there's just something about an author setting the stage but letting my mind populate it with nightmares that I find satisfying in a story. The steampunk was not integral to the plot, but it's an aesthetic I enjoy and I think it was well used. For instance, the details about the heroine's care for the lens seemed genuine, rather than contrived just to show of a device.

As for the medium the story was told in: Pseudopod, like all great horrors, hasn't aged a day, but oh, how it's might has grown! I've consumed a dozen or so stories in the last couple days and I'm delighted hearing not only the quality of voice work, but the stories that have been chosen. They're all beautiful, fleshed-out, quality stories.
My hat is off to the editors, directors, readers, slush readers, and those-who-shall-not-be-named, that have been making this possible.

Praise N-sh. ;)

And hey, welcome back! Didn't think I'd see anyone from TCoRN again any time soon :)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 06:19:19 PM
Holy blast from the past, Batman! TCoRN!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 03:03:19 PM
I nominated The Murmurous Paleoscope for  Hugo Best Short Story.  :)
http://www.diabolicalplots.com/?p=4134

also nominated Shawn Garrett, Norm Sherman, Escape Pod, Pseudopod, and Podcastle, among others. 

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 04:41:26 PM
Thank you!

petegrinder13

• Extern
Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 02:33:44 PM
Been catching up on old episodes and although this is a little late, just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this story.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 06:13:36 PM
I put this as #33 on my Best Podcast Fiction of All Time:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/05/the-best-podcast-fiction-of-all-time-31-40/