Author Topic: Sci-Fi we can do without  (Read 45752 times)

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
on: April 19, 2007, 08:02:30 PM
So... what sci-fi shows or movies could you do without?

For me, I never really liked Enterprise. It seemed to abandon a lot of the original premise of the first shows in favor of flashy, more appealing action and eye-candy. Personally, if you have to throw in sex just keep my attention, you've lost me for good.

I also never got into Dark Angel. Maybe same reasons, but for the most part I didn't see the fun in another "human superweapon created by the government that escapes and tries to make a difference in the world" premise. Maybe it was the fact that it was James Cameron. Aliens and Terminator 2 were the only movies of his I liked.

Finally, can someone please take Charmed off the air? It may not fall completely into the SF realm, but too close for my liking. It was ignorable when it was a simple Buffy knock-off... but it's getting more and more obnoxious to see it on at least three channels as I flip around.

What other shows or movies need massive swift kicks of da booty?

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:33:32 PM
I had trouble getting into DS-9.  I think in part because I had difficulty getting past the toady from Benson and Hawk from Spencer for Hire.  People said that it improved esp after the first season, but I had already stopped watching by then.

Buffy had definitely jumped the shark by the time it went off the air.  There was maybe only 1-2 standouts from season 6 and 7. 

and while not tv/movie related we can do without Sci-Fi like this: http://techdirt.com/articles/20070416/175502.shtml

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:07:32 PM
Mansquito or any SciFi Channel Sci-Fi Saturday movie.

Enterprise - Let's throw every bit of Trek lore out the window and re-write the universe.

Aeon Flux - There isn't a good thing to be said about it. <- Edit I'm talking about the movie version

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:16:41 PM
Now that you mention it... I think Battlestar Gallatica is the ONLY good Sci-Fi Channel original.

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 12:43:02 AM
Now that you mention it... I think Battlestar Gallatica is the ONLY good Sci-Fi Channel original.

They've done some damn good miniseries.  Dune and The Lost Room were great gambles that paid off.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Simon Painter

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:23:11 AM
I'm probably one of the few people that never liked Farscape.  I've only seen the pilot so far, but it came accross as so silly and derivative that I never worked up the enthusiasm to watch any more episodes.

It may be worth mentioning, though, that I'd just finished watching a season of the West Wing before trying Farscape, and just about anything would pale in comparison  :P

Simon Painter
Shropshire, UK

"Save the Squonk!"

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:48:13 PM

They've done some damn good miniseries.  Dune and The Lost Room were great gambles that paid off.
Yes but Mansquito and Chupacabra pretty much erode any good will I may have had toward them for it  ;D

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 04:25:37 PM
I've read reviews of Painkiller Jane being excruciatingly horrible so much so that I have absolutely no desire to ever watch it.  Kind of a bummer, because I thought the title was cool, even though what I saw did make it look like another Dark Angel.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 04:42:37 PM
I also never really got into Andromeda. The spaceship looked too silly and I could never get past the Hercules thing.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:33:37 PM
I also never really got into Andromeda. The spaceship looked too silly and I could never get past the Hercules thing.

While there was some of the Hercules thing, I actually liked the show better than most star trek stuff.  I think because it had a bit more storyline instead of always trying to wrap up in one episode.

Startrekwiki

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 12:02:17 PM

While there was some of the Hercules thing, I actually liked the show better than most star trek stuff.  I think because it had a bit more storyline instead of always trying to wrap up in one episode.

Have to agree.

The worst show on the Sci-Fi channel (to my opinionated mind) is re-runs of "Star Trek: Enterprise". I don't quite understand why I don't like it, it just bugs me for some reason.

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 02:37:15 PM
I actually liked the last season of "Enterprise".  I thought they were starting to pull out.  Alas, it was not to be, and they dove yet again into alternate history.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

Startrekwiki

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:54:51 PM
Alas, it was not to be, and they dove yet again into alternate history.

I think that's why it died as a show. If they had had more exploration, maybe it would have done better.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 08:08:13 PM
The first bunch of episodes post September 11th were actually pretty good (in a reflection of the disaster, a huge swath of Earth is wiped out by some alien probe/satellite thingy, and Enterprise chases down who did it) - but as mentioned above Time Travel showed up and wrecked the whole thing.  Someone told me about a collection of episodes from the various ST that involved time travel, and that there were no Enterprise titles - we both figured it was because that's most of the bloody series.

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 06:11:55 PM
Yes but Mansquito and Chupacabra pretty much erode any good will I may have had toward them for it  ;D

How dare you talk ill of MANSQUITO!!!!

He is a monster who only wants your love and understanding!  Why must you be so cruel?  WHY?!?

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 06:16:37 PM

How dare you talk ill of MANSQUITO!!!!

He is a monster who only wants your love and understanding!  Why must you be so cruel?  WHY?!?

You know, as I watched Mansquito all I could think about was why the non-mansquito characters didn't just spray themselves down with Deep Woods Off and get on with their work.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 06:21:33 PM
You know, as I watched Mansquito all I could think about was why the non-mansquito characters didn't just spray themselves down with Deep Woods Off and get on with their work.

That would have been the only way that movie could have been better, really.

Especially if there was a scene where some Red Shirt got the can last, and it was all out.  Which led to a daring run down the halway to becuase he...had...to get...another....CAN!!!

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 06:41:20 PM

That would have been the only way that movie could have been better, really.

Especially if there was a scene where some Red Shirt got the can last, and it was all out.  Which led to a daring run down the halway to becuase he...had...to get...another....CAN!!!

ROFLOL... The desperate last scene was the remaining scientists hurredly rubbing against each other to try and spread the Deet around so the last one could plug in the giant bug lamp.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Mfitz

• Peltast
    • Flying Whale Productions
Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 08:02:23 PM
I had trouble getting into DS-9. 

I liked DS-9 the best of all the Treks.

I never got Buffy at all, and I tried becasue I had friends who liked it.

On a more general way I hugely dislike what I think of as "bug eyed mosnster" stories or stories were the monster is a monster just becasue it's an alien, and  it goes around eating people's brains, just 'cause that's what aliens do.  These stories can have a camp appeal, and if they are done well, as in Alien they can scare the pants off you, but I don't really think they are SF.  It sort of pisses me off that these sort of stories are the first thing that comes to mind with the general public when they think of SF.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 07:22:28 PM
Lexx is, to my way of thinking, the worst thing to happen to Sci-fi in a while.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 11:27:05 AM
Lexx is, to my way of thinking, the worst thing to happen to Sci-fi in a while.

I saw part of the pilot for Lexx at a Con many years ago. A buddy and I sat down to watch it, because if it had Rutger Haur in it, it couldn't be that bad, right?   After about thirty minutes, we gave each other the "WTF?" look and just left.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Zathras

Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 03:40:46 AM

I vote for Battlefield Earth.  Dreadful.  Saw some of it on a cable channel and it was so bad I couldn't stop watching.  Ouch.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 05:14:51 PM

I vote for Battlefield Earth.  Dreadful.  Saw some of it on a cable channel and it was so bad I couldn't stop watching.  Ouch.

Yeah. I saws the trailer and I immediately tried to burn my eyes out.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 05:20:50 PM
The "Wing Commander" movie was pretty bad.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 05:31:39 PM
The "Wing Commander" movie was pretty bad.

It was bad, but it was still fun.  Maybe because I was such a big fan of the games.  (There's a whole game genre that died a mysterious death - why?)

I kind of liked how the spaceship designs had a WWII motif going on. (Which the games did not.)

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.