Author Topic: Sci-Fi we can do without  (Read 45766 times)

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 05:36:11 PM
There was this god-awful sci-fi movie a few years back that was, essentially, a horror movie set aboard a spaceship.  It started promisingly, and then degenerated into standard horror with characters so damnably stupid, they should not have survived to adulthood. I remember the "money shot" of the entire movie was a guy getting his head sliced in half by a laser as it swept right through his screaming mouth, horizontally.

Gruesome.

Now, if only I could remember the name so I could properly pan it. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 06:57:55 PM
I don't think Supernova is the movie you're talking about, Kaa, but it certainly deserves a mention in this thread.  1 1/2 hours I can never get back.  I'm sure the film I saw represents nothing of the script Angela Bassett and James Spader signed on for.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 06:56:08 PM
Could we do without "Dark Star"?  Or is that the wrong thing to say?

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 10:06:45 PM

I could do without "Dark Star", unless by the laws of changing parallel universes we would also have to do without "Alien".  That would be bad.

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 10:18:38 PM

Great for a student project, creative use of a beach ball, overall not much of a movie in a CGI world. 

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 01:08:30 AM
Disney's "The Black Hole"

Slim Pickens as a robot?

I have two memories of seeing that movie in the theater.
1) When the black hole was eating everything, people were chanting "Go black hole!  Go black hole!"
2) When the villain finally got sucked in, someone in the audience yelled "Bye bye, wimp!" and lots of people laughed.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 03:59:42 PM
Dude, I saw that movie when I was a kid and it rocked me.  I remember being so shocked when the Maximillian put on his little helicopter buzz saws and ripped into the one guy.  And then one guy tried to escape (I think) and got blown up with his ship.  It felt darker than a lot of other stuff I'd seen at that point (I was like 5) and very weird.  I might have a different opinion if I rewatched it, but when they all dived into the black hole, I was pretty shocked. 

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 05:00:25 PM
I saw it in the theater when I was maybe 14 or 15 and it almost put me to sleep.
Maybe I should go back and try it again.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

plantedbypiggies

• Extern
  • Oink!
Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 02:13:27 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking that The Great War of Magellan won't really be science fiction that should be remembered. Let's be proactive and ignore it from the get-go.

Russell Nash

Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 09:45:45 AM
This could break Steve's as yet unwritten "Second Rule of EP Forums", but here goes.

I could do without Star Wars Episode I, II, and III. 

Talk about taking a national treasure and totally *bleeping* it up.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 11:32:41 PM
I could do without Star Wars Episode I, II, and III.
No argument here.

I don't think "Jedi" was the best movie in the world, either.  Because most of us were young when it came out, and it was still within the afterglow of "A New Hope" (I hate having to write that now), it has achieved beloved status.  But if it was the movie to come out 30 years later I wonder if we would have such fond feelings.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 12:47:20 AM
I think "Return of the Jedi" had to be a bit less exciting because it was the final arc.  The denoument of a great story is never as exciting as the climax.  Remember "Jedi" gave us Jabba, Princess Leia in a bikini and Bobba Fett falling into a sarlak pit.  Granted the Ewoks took most of that away, but then we had the "unfinished" Death Star, and the speeder bikes....

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 01:23:16 AM
Mansquito or any SciFi Channel Sci-Fi Saturday movie.
ohhhh yes... i recently saw part of Basilisk, and i was ready to murder someone about 5 minutes into it... if it weren't for the fun bloodspatter, i would not have gotten past 2 minutes.

oh and, i saw this a long while back, Hypercube.  That had the dumbest ending i have ever seen, and the movie itself was just bad.  I dont know about the other two movies in the trilogy but Hypercube was terrible.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 01:38:35 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 02:11:08 AM
Remember "Jedi" gave us Jabba, Princess Leia in a bikini and Bobba Fett falling into a sarlak pit.  Granted the Ewoks took most of that away, but then we had the "unfinished" Death Star, and the speeder bikes....

You're right.  My argument against Jedi is more of a musing than a definitive lumping it in with the Last Three.  For me, any good will that the Ewoks did not obliterate was taken care of by Evil Darth Vader becoming Poor, Misunderstood Darth Vader.   

And what's up with the Sarlak?  It's stomach acids will take 1,000 years to digest me? A suite at the Ritz Carlton will digest me in less time. 

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 03:01:10 AM
And what's up with the Sarlak?  It's stomach acids will take 1,000 years to digest me?
I wondered about that myself - so he starts eating when he's born and he's not done for 1,000 years?  Sheesh, hope he doesn't need many calories?  And who would walk into the giant tooth filled hole?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 03:28:58 AM
I'll put in my vote for "Mission to Mars".

Good frigging grief that was a horrendous piece of crap, as much as I happen to adore tim robbins and gary sinese.

I will have to admit to liking lexx, what I saw of it. It was different, and amused me. I met the guy who played stanley a few years ago, he was pretty cool.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #41 on: May 30, 2007, 04:05:29 AM
And what's up with the Sarlak?  It's stomach acids will take 1,000 years to digest me?
I wondered about that myself - so he starts eating when he's born and he's not done for 1,000 years?  Sheesh, hope he doesn't need many calories?  And who would walk into the giant tooth filled hole?
contrary to popular belief, tooth filled holes are the hottest vacationing spot for many indigenous creatures to that planet

Russell Nash

Reply #42 on: May 30, 2007, 07:37:16 AM
contrary to popular belief, tooth filled holes are the hottest vacationing spot for many indigenous creatures to that planet

I tried going there, but do you know what they want for a tooth with a good view of the stomach?? It's insane.

Mfitz

• Peltast
    • Flying Whale Productions
Reply #43 on: May 30, 2007, 04:48:30 PM
Maybe the whole 1000 year thing was a metaphor.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 05:39:30 PM
I tried going there, but do you know what they want for a tooth with a good view of the stomach?? It's insane.
thats a shame, but the cheap teeth arent that bad....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:11:44 AM by Bdoomed »

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #45 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:05 PM
Donnie Darko -- The Director's Cut.

Way to take a flawed yet intriguing movie with a forigvably massive time travel logic hole and turn it into a flawed movie with comical pseudoscience and a massive time travel logic hole that somehow seems less forgivable.

If you enjoyed Donnie Darko, I implore you to give the Director's Cut a miss.  Buy a second copy of the theatrical release if you want to show your support.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #46 on: May 31, 2007, 07:59:13 AM
And who would walk into the giant tooth filled hole?
I would if it added 900 years to my life. 

Russell Nash

Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 08:04:16 AM

900 years of pain or at the very least boredom?  I'll just take the 1-70 years I have left.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #48 on: June 01, 2007, 04:31:45 AM

900 years of pain or at the very least boredom?  I'll just take the 1-70 years I have left.
ehhh, bring an iPod or portable tv... crank power, and a bag of cheetoes... id be just fine.

and how are you sure about the 1-70 years left? how do you know you have at least a year left? scary no?

Russell Nash

Reply #49 on: June 01, 2007, 08:12:11 AM

ehhh, bring an iPod or portable tv... crank power, and a bag of cheetoes... id be just fine.

and how are you sure about the 1-70 years left? how do you know you have at least a year left? scary no?

Based on a bunch of calculations I just made up.  I have a 99.85% chance of making it through the next year.