Author Topic: EP431: The Golden Glass  (Read 5387 times)

inqydesu

• Extern
Re: EP431: The Golden Glass
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 01:17:23 AM »
I thought the story was interesting, as I love these types of bootstrapping type stories, but didn't love how it ended.  It wasn't clear to me why we needed to hear about evangeline, as I had nothing invested in this side of the alternate reality throughout the story.  Did the alternate universe captain deserve the backstabbing, such that Evy/Evangeline was doing the right thing? Or was this a flipside completely. 

It also seemed to end to abruptly as well, with no real transition or balance after the Evangeline thread.  I think it suffered for this.  I went back and read through again to see if I could figure out where that led us, and thought maybe it was that the unprepared can do well because they "make the most of a bad situation".

That said, i would have loved to hear more of the story, interstellar plucky trader types always do it for me, and the big concern was this was just an awkward length.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »
It also seemed to end to abruptly as well, with no real transition or balance after the Evangeline thread.  I think it suffered for this.  I went back and read through again to see if I could figure out where that led us, and thought maybe it was that the unprepared can do well because they "make the most of a bad situation".

The best that I could figure, the last section was there to support Evangeline's character development.  They are both, at root, the same person, so it's showing that even though she initially might've seemed a valley girl airhead, she is versatile and capable no matter her circumstances.

(Not that you're wrong about many of your statements, that's just what I think that scene was supposed to accomplish)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 02:24:16 AM »
I enjoyed this story pretty well when I listened to it, but now that I'm getting around to commenting my memory is fairly fuzzy. I think I agree with Unblinking that I would have been more interested in a story that focused more on how Evie actually managed to pull them out of the collision without greater catastrophe. I also think I went through a similar evolution of opinion on the narration in that her valley girl voice was really annoying at first and then I got to like her anyway. :)

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 04:24:24 AM »
I enjoyed this as a fluffy little story.  The plot was minor and fluffy - like cotton candy. I liked the choice of voice for Evie and I liked her character development.  While I could see why Alejandro thought what he did, that brief description of her life (skiing and playing on a planet) before discovering her love of piloting made me like her.  I did totally get a Joss Whedon/Firefly feel for the ship and universe. 

That said the plot was weak.  It's a bit of a cliche that there had to be something about the cargo worthwhile, but the readers were not given enough of a clue beforehand to have the pleasure of figuring it out on our own.  As soon as the champagne was discovered and Evie being from a wine making family, it was sort of obvious, but the readers still needed the explanation from her as much as Alejandro did to be clear.  Since Alejandro, the dumb jerk, was getting his comeuppance during that explanation, it was no fun for the reader to be in the exact same position as him.

Also the trip to the ST mirror universe (mirror Alejandro had evil mirror facial hair mustache and everything) at end was also fun, but didn't serve any purpose to whatever the point of the main story.

In short this was fun enough while it lasted but completely forgettable.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 04:34:32 AM »
I totally agree with SF Fangirl. I was enjoying the fluffy story candy and then we got to the "end". I though, "gee it would be great to hear what happened in the other dimension", when lo-and-behold that is exactly what I got. But that part was so unsatisfying as to make me take my wish back. It made no sense and added nothing at all to the main dimension's story. Oh, well. Half-win.

hardware

• Matross
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
Like devoted, I seemed to go along with the story while listening, but already less than a week after, I don't remember what really happened, especially towards the end. I liked that we got the view into the alternate (our?) world, but it didn't go anywhere really interesting.