Author Topic: Pseudopod 146: The Button Bin  (Read 15050 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 06:36:16 PM
I mean, the story's being told as though I experienced it, but I didn't.  And even if I did, why would I need someone to tell me what I experienced?  Without a justification for that question, any 2nd person story is certain to annoy me (even if the plot itself is fantastic).

Maybe because someone is wearing your entire body and they're in control?

But if someone were wearing my entire body I wouldn't be driving across South Dakota for vacation, would I?  Even given that view, it makes no sense whatsoever.

nathonicus

• Extern
Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 10:09:31 PM
Love the story with the single caveat of hating that it was told int he second person.  Why?  I don't think it added a thing to the narration, and in fact it took me out of the story since I had to work to get around the voice.  Other than that, solid.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 04:36:44 AM
The button concept was phenomenal, and I loved the Lenahan monster. However, the 2nd person narrative and the incest subplot detracted from what could have been a truly amazing story.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

merryoldsoul

• Extern
Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 09:10:03 PM
great story; you knew the button box was sinister, but, boy, how sinister!
great reading too.

erachima

• Extern
Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 03:07:51 PM
Apparently I'm in the vast minority here, but personally, I appreciated the story's second-person narrative. Strongly enough to register for the sake of disagreeing over it, even.

Of course, identifying with the main character was probably a bit easier for me than the general audience.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 03:17:00 PM
Of course, identifying with the main character was probably a bit easier for me than the general audience.

At the risk of getting a disturbing answer, why would that be?

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

erachima

• Extern
Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 11:23:03 PM
To the extent that it's relevant? I had similarly bad judgment as a teenager, though I had slightly more self control, and none of my relatives were involved.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 02:05:04 PM
I put this story on my Best Podcast Fiction of All Time list, at #41:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/05/the-best-podcast-fiction-of-all-time-41-50/

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 03:26:13 PM

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/05/the-best-podcast-fiction-of-all-time-41-50/

Based on this high praise, does this mean you reconciled your dislike of the second person for this story? What does 2014 Unblinking think compared to 2009 Unblinking?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 04:47:42 PM

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 01:56:58 PM

Based on this high praise, does this mean you reconciled your dislike of the second person for this story? What does 2014 Unblinking think compared to 2009 Unblinking?

I still think the story would've been better in 1st or 3rd but the images related to the button bin have stuck in my head for years and years, and still creep me out after so much time, so the story clearly worked for me despite that. 

Interestingly, I've talked to Mike Allen about the 2nd person and he believes that it was absolutely necessary to the story.  He tried to write it in other perspectives and the story didn't happen until he switched to 2nd.  I concede that anything a writer can do to get to The End is worthwhile, and if a change in perspective does that, so be it.  Personally, I still think it would've been better as a late-stage revision to change it all to 1st or 3rd.