Author Topic: EP432: Inappropriate Behavior  (Read 23900 times)

hardware

• Matross
Reply #75 on: May 30, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
I really liked this story, in spite of thinking that we are reaching some kind of saturation point for stories with narrators in the autism/asperger spectrum. Oftern I think that it is a bit too easy way to make a character interesting. But this one did it so well that I was completely won over. I was especially impressed with the first scene with the doctor, where the sensory overload killed her attempts of communication. Also, the way the fairytales were used and interpreted from Annies POV was excellent. Sure, towards the end the plot might have hinged on one too many convenient coincidences, but by then I was ready to go with that. The narration bothered me a bit in the beginning (not so much the voice as the audio quality) but ten minutes in I had adapted. 

TheArchivist

• Palmer
Reply #76 on: June 16, 2014, 04:43:22 PM
However, I could have done with a bit less backstory in Uncle Mars's section of the story. The tension was wound very tight at that point. Will Evan be rescued? If he isn't, will Annie be blamed? Will Annie learn to care about a human being, maybe trust someone? But, let's take some time out to explain why everyone is in their various positions and talk about the politics of running the mining company. Really? Right there?

Yes, indeed. While I found the general pacing too slow and the narration annoyingly poor and the NT characters too unidimensional and all the other things people have complained about, it was this point, a very long way into the story (I mean, I'd finished my walk and eaten my lunch and run out of lunch time by then), that I finally gave up on it.

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #77 on: July 11, 2014, 01:43:50 AM

Just for the record, they are continuously monitoring Voyager and have been doing so since it launched. I've heard many reports on its progress over the past few years, but that's because I listen to five podcasts that are exclusively dedicated to reporting on science news.
[/quote]

What are those five podcasts???  I'd like to check them out.

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #78 on: July 11, 2014, 01:52:32 AM
I too am way behind on episodes (almost read this on a beach) but like PotatoKnight and others I absolutely loved this story – in part because it was so frustrating at first but then paid off.

At the outset I absolutely hated the narration and was confused/furious at the mechano operator character.  Like others,  I couldn’t tell if it was an AI or a human.  And then when it became clear it was a human I couldn’t figure out why it was acting so weird.  And then slowly the author revealed the answer.  Very well done.

It would have been nice to have a different narrator do the other characters, but I understand that full cast episodes are much harder to do and more expensive.   To that end, I was actually hoping that at the end it would turn out that the main character was reading from a story that someone wrote later.  I agree with Max e Pi that it seemed as though the whole thing was written by Annie.

On the narration, I would probably not want to hear another story by the same narrator unless she was purposefully reading flat here and has broader range.

One criticism I have is that the author only explained once was “NT” was and then used it a million times.  In print I could just flip back to see what it meant but here I was left wondering. 

And lastly I’ll suggest once more that EP develop a standard audio sound to be inserted to signal changes of POV.

meggzandbacon

• Extern
Reply #79 on: July 11, 2014, 03:05:49 AM
I agree that multiple narrators would have been cool, but the changes didn't throw me off personally.  I actually really enjoyed this story a lot.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #80 on: July 12, 2014, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: Devoted135
Just for the record, they are continuously monitoring Voyager and have been doing so since it launched. I've heard many reports on its progress over the past few years, but that's because I listen to five podcasts that are exclusively dedicated to reporting on science news.

What are those five podcasts???  I'd like to check them out.

The Naked Scientists, Naked Scientists Special Editions, Science Friday, Nature Podcast, Scientific American's 60-second science. The only drawback to this lineup is you might hear 5 different reports on the same study in a one week period... ::)

The Naked Scientists are a particular favorite and they have several off-shoot podcasts (genetics, astronomy) that are also worth a listen.