Author Topic: Best PodCastle of 2013 Nominations  (Read 15855 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 10:03:45 PM
I feel like I'm not quite qualified for this because I haven't heard all the stories from last year, but all three of these stories got listened to several times.

You don't need to have heard them all, you just need an opinion :) Thanks for sharing.

Bartok

• Extern
Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 10:17:09 PM
If it's not too late, I'd nominate:
PC 257: The Queen and The Cambion by Richard Bowes, read by Wilson Fowlie
PC 267: Western Chow Mein Red Dawn by Lavie Tidhar, read by Bob Eccles
PC 286: The Calendar of Saints by Kat Howard, read by Amal El-Mohtar

With especially honorable mentions to:
PC 245: On the Acquisition of Phoenix Eggs (Variant) by Marissa Lingen, read by Tina Connolly
PC 246: Where Virtue Lives by Saladin Ahmed, read by Rajan Khanna

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 01:37:38 PM
It's not too late.  Nominations will be closing... soonish.  Probably around the 10th, unless there is a big push between here and there.

ChairmanDances

• Palmer
Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 05:56:23 AM
It was fun reading through the responses and being reminded of many of these.  My top three favorites were:

PC 280: The Devil and Tom Walker by Washington Irving, read by Wilson Fowlie
Not a new story, but new to me.  A lot of fun and a great reading.

PC 271: Nightfall in the Scent Garden by Claire Humphrey, read by Kara Grace
Not one I would have expected to like, but very touching and a spot-on narration

PC 269: Selected Program Notes From the Retrospective Exhibition of Theresa Rosenberg Latimer by Kenneth Schneyer, read by Peter Wood
A really unique story in terms of format.

Honorable Mentions

PC 268: The Phoenix on the Sword, featuring Conan the Barbarian by Robert E. Howard, read by Graeme Dunlop
I love Conan and this is a good story and a great reading, but I've read it a bunch of times since I was a kid so it didn't give me the same "wow" feeling as the ones above - not to say I wouldn't want more Conan (or Solomon Kane)!

PC 276: Juan Caceres in the Zapetero’s Workshop by Derek Kunsken, read by Roberto Suarez
Despite its modern setting, I think this was a much better fairy tale than Episode 300.  An archetypal Trickster hero, a sense of menace and Ogre Toe!

PC Miniature 75: Doctor Diablo Goes Through The Motions by Saladin Ahmed, read by Roberto Suarez
Just a fun listen.

Thinking through these selections, I've realized that the quality of the reading makes a huge difference.  I usually listen at night when I'm walking my dog so I can really focus on the story and a good reading adds a tremendous amount to my enjoyment.  I read to my two oldest children when they were smaller and they still best remember the books that allowed me to ham it up a little (Wee Free Men, The Hobbit).  My youngest is hooked on the My Weird School series and expects a different voice for each of the main characters.

I also realize that two of my favorite stories were ones I probably wouldn't have listened to if I had read through the descriptions.  People are able to customize so much of their entertainment these days (Netflix, Pandora) - it's nice to have something like Podcastle where you can just listen without having to make a selection.  This does mean that you listen through some episodes you just don't like, but it also means that sometimes you find something new that you'd never would thought you'd like.

Cynandre

• Palmer
  • I May be Addicted to Words...
    • Cynandre
Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 04:41:05 PM
I have a love for stories where Pets, Toys, and even Monsters are the Guardians for Children.
PC 254: Sundae by Matt Wallace, read by Dave Robison

Even though I did not agree with Mercedes' treatment of Vren, I had a feeling the result of the Tale would be him intervening on behave of Princesses and their Destinies.
Also, I enjoy when Dave Thompson reads.

PC 258: The Discriminating Monster’s Guide to the Perils of Princess Snatching by Scott M. Roberts, read by Dave Thompson

The Outsider in me still cries over this Tale.
Also I had finish all of John Meagher's TotLH at the time and wanted to hear him read again.

PC 270: The Secret of Calling Rabbits by Wendy Wagner, read by John Meagher

Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 05:41:02 PM
official notice - Nominations are now closed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:46:24 PM by Ocicat »