Author Topic: PC297: The Tower Of The Elephant (Featuring Conan The Barbarian)  (Read 7011 times)

ChairmanDances

• Palmer
Re: PC297: The Tower Of The Elephant (Featuring Conan The Barbarian)
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:57 AM »
One thing that stands out to me about this story is the inexperience of Conan. The youth in the loincloth is in over his head breaking into the tower, and it's fairly clear that without Taurus's aid (and ultimate sacrifice) that he would've been captured or killed a few times over before getting to the treasure he sought.

I pair the two again since it's a natural juxtaposition given the Theme of "Ill Met in Ulthar", but we see flaws and development in Conan that I, at least, don't see in the two Marla Mason stories run on Podcastle, each set at different times in her career.  Despite the stereotype of the unstoppable barbarian, Conan (as in this story) needs and accepts  assistance in trying to reach his goals.  Often, he needs a lucky break.  Marla seems to know she's the protagonist and breezes through everything.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »
Graeme, Dave- thanks for that fabulous reading of my silly little comment. That was awesome.  ;D

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »
Graeme, Dave- thanks for that fabulous reading of my silly little comment. That was awesome.  ;D

SURPRISE!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

(I'm kind of surprised not too many people have commented on it. I thought it was so funny when Graeme sent me his recording I played it for my wife, who was also thought it was hilarious.)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »
It was so great that I made my husband listen to it and he thought it was hilarious as well! :)

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
Oh, I heard and loved it too!!! Sometimes I just forget to comment on the frequently outstanding intros/outtros. Well done, Graeme, and awesome forum feedback pick. :D
Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Re:
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 07:21:36 PM »
Heard it and loved it!

TrishEM

• Matross
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 05:12:49 AM »
I, too, noticed and loved the reading of the comment! I actually cheered when I realized it was being read ... in that perfect voice for it, too!

albionmoonlight

• Matross
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »
Late to the party here, but I wanted to comment on the awesome narration.

It has to be a bit daunting when you see a character introduced as not built for human speech--and then notice that he ends up giving pages of exposition.  Thought that it was handled very well.

Marsman1

• Extern
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 09:27:39 PM »
I love all the Conan stories that are published here. I think this one was fantastic and fun. We get to see Conan before he was the conquerer or a King. Anyway loved the ending even if it reminded me of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Wait a minute, that was the whole fun about it.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »
For Conan Fans:  "Cimmeria: From the Journal of Imaginary Anthropology" by  Theodora Goss
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/cimmeria-journal-imaginary-anthropology/

It's a modern-day Cimmeria, so the story does not actually contain Conan--I don't think it even mentions him come to think of it.  Nonetheless.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
Huh. I will have to check this out. Thanks, Unblinking :)

Dwango

• Matross
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »
I am just catching up on my PodCastle episodes.  I LOVE when you guys run a Conan because you do it so well.

Soooo.... Please, Please, Please consider running another in the future.

I would run them like Disney did with the old Mickey Mouses, pointing out the bad points and explaining the era they came from.  There are a lot of creative imaginings in Robert E. Howard stories that really establish the genre and are worth the read, despite the obvious issues.

Anyway, Great Read!

Marlboro

• Palmer
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »
Fun episode. Excellent reading.