Author Topic: PC023: Moon Viewing at Shijo Bridge - PodCastle Giant  (Read 36649 times)

CoachPaul

• Extern
Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 04:08:20 AM
Is it possible to get a word count on this story?

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 07:23:12 AM
Approximately 13,400.

CoachPaul

• Extern
Reply #52 on: October 10, 2008, 08:53:20 PM
Thank you.

Zathras

Reply #53 on: October 27, 2008, 06:37:25 PM
After stepping away from PC for a while, I came back for this one.  I haven't read any other comments yet, so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse.

I absolutely loved this story!  It had a depth that most podcasts lack.  Back in the day when I had to rent my audiobooks from truckstops, these kinds of stories are what kept me renting.

More giants, please.

Now I'm off to listen to Goose Girl and start catching up...

izzardfan

Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 10:42:33 AM
It doesnt help that Steve Anderson was the reader, no offense to the man but i have to resist the urge to fall asleep when he reads stories, everything just comes off as dull and flat

Wow, I think just the opposite of Steve!  To me, he adds depth and emotion to his readings that some others don't.  He's my second favorite reader, behind Mur Lafferty, and only slightly ahead of a tie between Steve (Eley) and Cunning Minx.  M. K. Hobson is running a close fourth (fifth?).

Edit:  added "(Eley)" for clarification

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:23:13 AM by izzardfan »

izzardfan

Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 07:39:59 AM
I posted earlier after only hearing about the first third of the story.  I've now finished it, and wondered if Rachel can post the text of the individual poems from the story.  I would have to go back and listen again to find them, but I'll do it if she can't do it.  I became intrigued by the format and content, but can't remember exactly what each was, and I listen in my car (as many do) which makes taking notes difficult (or dangerous, in traffic).

Thanks in advance,
Tamara

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 03:49:54 PM
The beginning was too slow and descriptive for my tastes, I just had trouble getting interested in what was happening because of this.  This is a matter of personal tastes--I have trouble reading Tolkien for the same reason.  Tolkien can write a really rip-roaring adventure and then kill every bit of momentum by describing something too long (that's why I like the Lord of the Rings movies better than the books). 

And, in any case, very few novella-length stories merit the length in my opinion.  Not that there's anything wrong with the stories in novellas, but the story just seems to be buried under so much other stuff it's hard to really get to it.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #57 on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:45 PM
I missed the part where the protagonist was the father, as I took at face value that the protagonist was not lying to us. His affection was easily justified in my mind via honor/chivalry.

If we're going to be deceived as part of the subtle court intrigue, then pick a third person perspective. I can appreciate an unreliable narrator, but this was a narrator lying to us consistently throughout. Also, there were some parts that really dragged. It could have lost 15 minutes of fluff and no one would notice. It could have lost 30 minutes of material and been stronger for it. But then again, it could be the excess length just annoys me all the more because of the dirty author trick of the lying protagonist.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Wyndy

• Extern
Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 11:36:25 PM
This was longer than I usually like listening to, but I really enjoyed it.