Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: Pseudopod 336: The Abyss  (Read 9152 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 04:40:49 PM
This one is definitely worth hanging around for. The bleak and brutal ending has stood the test of time. I felt distinctly uncomfortable by the time the closing music rolled around.

However, if this was written today, the intro could benefit from tightening. The philosophical response to other works has no easy context, so I struggled with staying focused. I think this would be near perfect if we had a construction of the innocent loving relationship followed by its destruction without the extra material. This is also probably why I don't read Russian literature.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Marlboro

• Peltast
Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 03:35:55 PM
Andreyev's "Lazarus" is a story that I read in high school and has always stuck with me. Nice to hear some of his other work.

“The Abyss” (1902) was published as a response to “The Kreutzer Sonata” (Leo Tolstoy’s fictional argument for the ideal of sexual abstinence).

I wasn't aware of Tolstoy's nutty opinions when I first read "The Kreutzer Sonata" and, while reading it, I thought that he had done a masterful job of creating a Poe like tale of madness and obsession. And then I read the afterword by Tolstoy where he proclaims that all of the beliefs of the lunatic main character are his own.  That afterword is the equivalent of tearing down Edgar Allan Poe's house and finding an old woman in the chimney, a dead cat in the wall, and an old man's heart underneath the floorboards.

p.s. Here's a link to the online text of Lazarus if anyone is interested:

https://americanliterature.com/author/leonid-andreyev/short-story/lazarus