Author Topic: Cosmos  (Read 4634 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: March 10, 2014, 02:15:16 AM
what did people think of Cosmos.  I know it's more fact than fiction, but...  The closing where he talks about meeting Carl Sagan was so moving.  I wish that Neil inspires a new generation of scientists as Carl inspired him.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:38:41 PM
It's on my DVR, I haven't even seen it yet. Regardless, I'm prepared to say it's one of the top 3 most significant and valuable things to happen to television in 15 years.

SonofSpermcube

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:47:44 PM
I'm not sure people in this forum are mostly the intended audience, at least for the first episode.  I certainly didn't learn anything I didn't know before; but I'm sure there were plenty of children and people who slept through science class and never read a science magazine who did.  

Still, if you like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, or you want to go nostalgic for the original (which was dated by the time I saw it, while this is fresh), it's worth the time.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:04:17 PM by SonofSpermcube »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 02:01:57 PM
I thought it was splendid on multiple levels. I even enjoyed the animated bits, which some people seemed to not care for. And yeah, his anecdote at the end made me misty-eyed.

Looking forward to next week.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:57:10 PM
I haven't watched it yet - I plan on watching it with my kids this weekend, but I've seriously considered breaking the "No TV on school nights" rule we have for this show, which should give some indication how excited I am :)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 04:31:11 PM
I adored it. It brimmed over with passion for the information, knowledge, humor and eloquence. It managed three big ideas in under an hour, dealt with history elegantly and even handedly and wrapped up in a way that not only honored Sagan but helped make the central point. Plus it looked stunning. Can't wait for the next one:)

SonofSpermcube

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:23:04 AM
I've seriously considered breaking the "No TV on school nights" rule we have for this show

I'm pretty sure that's what they made it for.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 01:52:43 PM
I've seriously considered breaking the "No TV on school nights" rule we have for this show

I'm pretty sure that's what they made it for.
And when you do, it makes it all the more special. I recall the original Cosmos for similar reasons. They used to run all kinds of good family stuff on Sunday evenings -- Disney movies, Amazing Stories, Wonder Works, etc. -- that made it worthwhile to let the kids stay up a bit later once every so often.

Sursum

• Extern
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 12:04:47 AM
Well, I have to say I was not impressed. Production values were okay, but I could not shake the feeling I was being talked down to. Most of what was covered was old ground, that and sparkling generalities.  Lots of pretty CGI and Gee Whiz Ain't That Purty kind of stuff and precious little substance. Sorry, but Cosmos did not deliver. Carl Sagan would have been furious.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 02:14:40 AM
Well, I have to say I was not impressed. Production values were okay, but I could not shake the feeling I was being talked down to. Most of what was covered was old ground, that and sparkling generalities.  Lots of pretty CGI and Gee Whiz Ain't That Purty kind of stuff and precious little substance. Sorry, but Cosmos did not deliver. Carl Sagan would have been furious.

Heh! Did you watch a different show by accident? Production values were quite good, I thought. And the show is designed to be accessible to people who maybe haven't been all that interested in science previously. The intial episodes are designed to give an overview of basic topics, which I think it is doing very well.

I would bet everything I own Sagan would be quite pleased.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 03:05:26 PM

Heh! Did you watch a different show by accident? Production values were quite good, I thought. And the show is designed to be accessible to people who maybe haven't been all that interested in science previously. The intial episodes are designed to give an overview of basic topics, which I think it is doing very well.

I would bet everything I own Sagan would be quite pleased.
We watched the original on a video tape in 6th grade science class. Think of it in that respect, and I think you have to agree that the new is a worthy update of the old in every way.