Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: EP435: Made of Cats  (Read 10472 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 02:37:23 PM
This story was a floon. Short and cute and amusing and wonderful if you like floons.
Some people like their stories to be cats: funny and complex and full of conflict. Without going into the while cat-person dog-person thing, I liked this story because even though I usually like my stories more catlike, sometimes you need an ocasional floon.

I'm a dog person.  Should I have liked this story or not?

tibbi

• Extern
Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 04:25:50 PM
Good story.

The sound was fine. I've heard worse and still enjoyed whatever the story was.

I liked this glimpse into the MomNet. I've always suspected it existed.  :D

blue_hitchhiker

• Extern
Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 01:12:15 AM
I found two elements of the story very interesting, but haven't seen them mentioned here, so here you go!

First, I thought the narrator's intimacy with powerful figures was interesting.  The back and forth on MomNet, Calling out the aliens at their first meeting, and eventually becoming an ambassador.  It seems that the speaker is very close to the representatives and leaders of earth, but at the same time seems very average.  One idea was that the population was such that it does not really require a leading plutocracy.  Earth is more like a large neighborhood, making this somewhat post-apocalyptic.

Additionally, I thought the inverted gender roles was interesting, as it was repeated numerous times throughout the story.  Female characters in power, references to "househusbands", ect.  I thought this was a really interesting aspect of the story, how would a matriarchal society deal with aliens.  For me the silliness and relentless positivity is part of the commentary regarding issues of conflict and distrust (or lack thereof, in this case) that is a part of so many alien encounter stories!

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #43 on: May 02, 2014, 06:51:08 PM

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 12:55:02 PM
I liked this glimpse into the MomNet. I've always suspected it existed.  :D

As someone who once worked for momslikeme.com and is dating someone who used to run an "adult" group for moms... it exists, and it is powerful.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

hardware

• Matross
Reply #45 on: June 19, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
I liked it: light-hearted, fun and full of clever little twists if you pay attention.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 05:12:00 AM
For me, this story didn't deliver on it's promise. It started on the right track, being sort of cute and cat-like (but not too much), but then did a weird thing at the end, which just didn't work for me.