Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: EP438: Enjoy the Moment  (Read 5617 times)

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 08:47:13 PM
I liked this story, but I felt it didn't go quite far enough. I was left hanging at the end.

I do agree with this.  It felt like the beginning of a story and I really hope the rest of the story is told in the remaining volumes.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 03:37:24 PM
Okay, I am very late to the party, here, but I have to post, because I am surprised no-one mentioned what to me was the main point of the story. Many people danced around it, but no-one brought the bits together quite the way I did.

The ending, where Miriam talks about enjoying a simple dinner with her family is a major growing point for the character. In the beginning, she was all about her career, spending much of her spare time *away* from her family in order to chase her professional goals. But at the end, she realizes what is important and you know she will spend then next 20 years enjoying her family.

Yes, I realize this is very cliche, but it resonated with me, because as a scientist, I struggle with this work-life balance problem all the time. And I confess, I haven't quite gotten to where Miriam is. But that's okay, I guess, because we aren't facing an imminent apocalypse at the moment.... right? ;)