Author Topic: Help please - searching for a story  (Read 4518 times)

Kelseybot

• Extern
on: April 18, 2014, 02:55:21 PM
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm searching for a specific story which I remember nothing specific about. I believe I heard this story on Pseudopod, and wanted to share it with my sister, who also enjoys short fiction.

(Spoilers, kinda)
The story was about a young girl (not human, just female) who had at least 2 cruel brothers, a mother, and other extended family. My main problem is that the characters chose names for themselves based on their attributes, so I can't remember any specifics. The mother was something in line with euthanasia or mercy killings, and the two brothers represented darker, more sadistic figures. I think the main character's uncle was something big, like death, and was a ruler of the kingdom. In the story the young girl finds a mortal pet, who she unsuccessfully hides from her cruelest brother. When the family leaves their home for the uncle's wedding the brother kills the pet. The young girl adopts vengeance, or justice, or something like that as her attribute/name and goes on to be super bad-ass.

With the names/titles I remember I have had no luck searching for the story, and it has become a bit of an obsession. Adding to my frustration, I can't remember exactly which podcast produced it or when I first heard the story. Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:59:00 PM
I don't think this is a PseudoPod story. It sounds like it might be PodCastle, as I haven't run through their whole back catalog yet. Maybe someone from there can step in and help.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 04:02:43 PM
Eugie Foster, "Little Grace of the House of Death," on the Drabblecast. Good 'un. :)

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

Kelseybot

• Extern
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:00:05 PM
Thank you so much Varda!!! This community is amazing!