Author Topic: EP074: Paradox & Greenblatt, Attorneys at Law  (Read 3821 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 17, 2009, 09:50:21 PM
EP074: Paradox & Greenblatt, Attorneys at Law

By Kevin J. Anderson.
Read by J.C. Hutchins.

“The man talked a mile a minute in a thin, squeaky voice; even if he hadn’t been panicked, it probably would have sounded unpleasant. “All I did was try to stop him from buying her some deep-fried artichoke hearts. How could that be construed as attempted murder? They can’t pin anything on me, can they? Why would they think I was trying to kill anybody?”

“Maybe you’d better tell me, Mr. . . . uh?”

“Hendergast. Lionel Hendergast. And I read the terms of the contract very carefully before we went back in time. It didn’t say anything about deep-fried artichoke hearts.”

Rated R. Contains some profanity and explicit sexual imagery.

Today’s Sponsor:

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 10:32:23 AM
Honestly, this one needed to be like about half the length.  Futurama was way funnier when they did it, and the story seemed to be under the impression that you DIDN'T know what argument the lawyer was going to make before he made it.  Too much explaining of a fairly simple one-liner gag.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:45:19 PM
Cool idea to have a law firm based around time travel problems, but I'm with Scattercat that it could've afforded to be shorter.

Also, the ending where the client is suddenly buddy-buddy with his bio-dad was horrible.  I've never understood why bioligical parenthood should trump actual child-upbringing parenthood.  Before:  "Delano is the spawn of Satan because he drove my parents to divorce, my dad to commit suicide, and my mom to leave me."  After:  "Delano is my daddy and I love him!  He caused my parents to divorce and my mom's husband to commit suicide, and my mom to leave me.  But that's okay, cuz my mom's husband was just some guy and not my daddy at all."  If this guy could actually switch from one view to the other, he's much more twisted than he'd seemed.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 02:30:09 PM
I swear, the other case that his law partner was working on was A Gun for Dinosaur.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”