Author Topic: PC093: Giant Episode: The Mermaid’s Tea Party  (Read 18661 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 04:07:53 AM
Instead of "Don't feed the trolls," we could say "Don't feed the fishy bitches?"

augustleo

• Extern
Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 01:02:28 PM
Great story! Very descriptive and wonderfull narration. The story really pulled me in with this one. One of my favorite giant Podcastle stories thus far.  :D

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:13 AM
I now want to find excuses to say "fishy bitches".

You're not the only one. :-)

Excellent, excellent story.  Really vivid description, to the point where I found myself reaching automatically for my bottle of juice when Cassandra started in on how thirsty she was.  I did have a few quibbles -- the desecration of the bodies, and how far into the story you were before Cassandra's age was mentioned (I thought she was older, actually) -- and I'm not entirely sure what to make of the ending.  That she decides to lie her way into a new life is fine, but it did seem to me that it was implying she intended to choose a life at sea, and unless she's going to become "Grace O'Malley, Fishy Bitch Slayer," that strikes me as a little odd.  But those are all minor things.  On the whole, it was fabulous.

(Favorite line?  "Teatime was over."  Me with my headphones on a plane, laughing out loud at something nobody else could hear . . . .)

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 05:10:24 PM
Wow. Just wow, wow, wow.

I loved this story, absolutely loved it. It had me enthralled in suspense from the first moment when we see the nurse's body floating in the water, to when the sailors lift her up. And even when I learned about the flowers, the tea party scene was so suspenseful, I had to stop working and listen while biting my nails.

This is such a wonderful tight story. Tina did a wonderful job narrating, as always. And I felt so sorry for poor Jack/John. I wasn't even surprised with what he did to the mermaids afterwards. For me, what he did was completely in character. Although I am a little hazy on what happened on the getaway boat and Sandra woke up wet...did something happen there, orrrr... ???

Anyway, wonderful story, wonderful reading. Would definitely listen to it again.

Edit: Oh, by the way, I've been hearing "fishy bitches" in my head all day. Thanks story.  :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:35:03 AM by LaShawn »

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 11:24:00 AM
This is such a wonderful tight story. Tina did a wonderful job narrating, as always. And I felt so sorry for poor Jack/John. I wasn't even surprised with what he did to the mermaids afterwards. For me, what he did was completely in character. Although I am a little hazy on what happened on the getaway boat and Sandra woke up wet...did something happen there, orrrr... ???

My interpretation of what happened is that she's soaked from the boat leak.  Jack says something about it to her but of course she's hazy from thirst and sun delirium, etc. 

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

schmetterling

Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 08:57:59 AM
Another great reading from Tina!  The story was OK but I just love Tina's voice for something like this.

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 12:40:25 PM
I loved this story! Really evocative and three-dimensional.

feeder_goldfish

• Extern
    • fate keeps on happening
Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 06:35:20 PM
I listened to this awhile back and am just re-listening. It really stuck with me. I love the way the mermaids are portrayed with just the details we need to envision them. Their characters totally made sense to me.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 11:46:43 PM
The intro tied in quite nicely, but it made me wonder: DKT, what to you have against the Enchanted Tiki Room?

My interpretation of what happened is that she's soaked from the boat leak.  Jack says something about it to her but of course she's hazy from thirst and sun delirium, etc. 

I agree with this interpretation. I think they were too delirious and close to death for Jack to finally succumb to temptation after having been so successful.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DrunkenGamer67

• Extern
    • My Infrequent Blog
Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 05:18:17 PM
I've been in a horrible crisis at work for the last four days and for some reason, I couldn't get "Fishy Bitches" out of my head.  It started with thinking of the fishy bitches as a rock band like "Agnes and the Fishy B*tches" and morphed into a list of possible book or movie titles.

• The Fishy B*tches Take Manhattan
  • I Was A Teenage Fishy B*tch
  • Hot Fishy B*tches In Love
  • The Fishy B*tch Who Loved Me
  • Smells Like Fishy B*tch
  • Fishy B*tches Versus Mermen
  • War of the Fishy B*tches
  • The Fishy B*tch Insomniac
  • Fishy B*tch Beauty Tips
  • The Fishy B*tch of the Opera
  • The Fishy B*tch Who Couldn't Swim
  • The Real Fishy B*tches of Madison County