Author Topic: What do you look for in Horror books/Movies  (Read 10768 times)

twitcat

• Extern
Re: What do you look for in Horror books/Movies
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 10:19:38 AM »
I don't really have any preference when it comes to 'types' of horror (although I do have a penchant for Lovecraftian themes), what really draws me to a movie or a book is an interesting premise.

I think you can take almost any kind of book/movie, no matter how strung-out and over done it is, and make it into something good.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 01:46:51 AM »
Novels: The name "Stephen King". Anybody else's work just doesn't seem as "real", somehow, and I'm usually disappointed.
I'm much more forgiving with short stories though. (Like many of the pseudopod stories.)

Movies: David Lynch, post-apoc themes, and unpredictable villains/monsters. With post-apoc movies though, I mostly keep thinking "Now here's what I would do...".

I think the last movie I ever saw that scared me was "The Exorcist" when it first came out, so I've given up on expecting horror movies to actually scare me. Well, maybe "Threads" and "The Day After" were somewhat disturbing, but for different reasons.
I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 12:47:27 PM »

I think the last movie I ever saw that scared me was "The Exorcist" when it first came out, so I've given up on expecting horror movies to actually scare me. Well, maybe "Threads" and "The Day After" were somewhat disturbing, but for different reasons.

Only movie I ever really remember being scared watching was Vamp with Grace Jones.  Not even sure why it scared me so much, though at a guess I was ten to twelve when I saw it, and lets face it Grace Jones is kinda creepy anyways.  I doubt it would have the same effect on me now.  Most modern horror movies don't go for scary so much as momentarily shocking.  IE something pops out of the dark kills someone and is gone, ala most slasher flicks.  It's startling not scary.  If I am not scared I would rather have some humor with my horror.  Kinda like Idle Hands.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 07:27:52 PM »
... lets face it Grace Jones is kinda creepy anyways. 
Gee. Whatever would make you say that?

I feed The Pod.

Russell Nash

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 05:00:14 AM »
... lets face it Grace Jones is kinda creepy anyways. 
Gee. Whatever would make you say that?

http://www.gordonmunro.com/adm/photo/89_GraceJones2.jpg

Please put up a warning before you do something like that!

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 01:45:41 AM »
Now here's a bit of video I had not seen before a few days ago, and I'm not sure what sub-genre you would call it. Sort of a "David Cronenberg does Music Video for X-files" thing.

All I know is that it was the most disturbing thing I've seen in decades (aside from the evening news, of course).

I discovered it while searching for the title asnd author of a story I'd read long ago (see this thread - http://forum.escapeartists.info/index.php?topic=938.0 - Which turned out to be "Born of Man and Woman" (1950) by Richard Matheson. The forum message (not on escapepod.org) where I found it invited comparisons between it and this six minute video:
"Rubber Johnny", by Chris Cunningham. It's probably on youtube, but I got better results (ie. no jerky video or choppy sound) viewing the .swf version, at http://www.wimp.com/rubberjohnny/
Fewer distractions on the page than at youtube too.

Best enjoyed if you view it with the lights out (how else?), wearing headphones, and don't look up any reviews or synopses ahead of time.

Not knowing what the hell exactly what I was looking at was the most enjoyable part, and the sorta' documentary look that gave it a surreal edge. When the music came up I thought it broke the mood like an actor stepping out of character, but it still kept my interest.

Okay, maybe that's what I look for in a horror book or movie. Surreality.
Like Grace Jones, up there.
I feed The Pod.