Author Topic: Similar to Welcome to Nightvale?  (Read 15356 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: July 17, 2014, 06:28:00 PM
I have a friend who is looking for a podcast along the lines/style of Welcome to Nightvale but without the horror factor.  I don't know of any but figured someone here might know of something

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

RowanBristol

• Extern
  • To Love is to Act
    • The Burnham Society
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:46:52 PM
I'm going to recommend my own. It's much more fantasy than horror, and has some short fiction as well.

It's about the mythical immigrant cultures of chicago, and their history after the 1893 World's columbia exposition.

http://www.arcsylver.com/burnhamsocietypodcast

It's available through most podcast setups. Have a listen, and see if it's appropriate for your friend.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:43:17 PM
I wouldn't say it's exactly along the lines of Welcome to Nightvale, but another podcast that reminds me of it in some respects is "Extruding America".  Like Welcome to Nightvale it pays some homage to place-as-character radio shows like Prairie Home Companion, and likewise it does it in an off-kilter and funny way.  It's not hugely speculative in nature, though in later episodes it gets more so when the host of the podcasts buys a microphone that's so sensitive it can pick up thoughts and dreams.  The podcast features the awesome voice talent of Eric Luke as the host Gerard Armbruster--I don't know who plays Stetson Tudd, his correspondent.

The podcast is mostly defunct since running regularly between 2006 and 2009, but every once in a while a new recording slips onto the feed--the newest one is, wow, from July 2014.  I haven't heard that one yet.  I don't stop by very often because the last post before that was from 2011.

http://extrudingamerica.com/

TerminalLazy

• Extern
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:45:26 AM
Ok, so, necro-bump like whoa, but I was just recently turned on to a wee baby podcast that fits this bill crazy well. It's called Limetown, and it's currently in-progress. It's scheduled to run for seven episodes and it's really fun so far. When I was introduced I was told "It's like if Nightvale was played straight, not for laughs" and that's exactly what I'd call it.

It's spooky, creepy, and well put together. It makes you uncomfortable when it wants you to be and episode two actually scared me. Like, real, squirmy, afraid-of-the-dark scared.

Check it out:
limetownstories.com