Author Topic: EP455: Keep Your Shape  (Read 8177 times)

Windup

• Hipparch
Re: EP455: Keep Your Shape
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 06:12:47 AM »
But this made me wonder, in 60 years, will we be sitting around discussing the cute and naive stories of our era? How cybernetics, nanotechnology and the singularity didn't actually pan out as we blithely thought it would? I hope we all live long enough to find out.

I'm going to go with the bold prediction that they will not be as great as the people trying to sell them to us make them out to be, but not as disastrous as the opponents anticipate. We will ignore some obvious opportunities for improvement in the name of "deregulation" and clamp down senselessly in other areas and it will take us decades to let go. Plus, there will be some massive, unintended affects that won't even be obviously related to the technologies, and by the time some historian teases out the relationship, no one will care. 

And I STILL won't have a jet pack...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:04:47 AM by Windup »
"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

albionmoonlight

• Matross
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 04:13:27 PM »
A solid golden-oldie that holds up well and is a great example of the era.  I do not have much to add that has not already been said.

I think that, given the chance, I'd become a dolphin.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »
How has no one mentioned this connection yet?

Also, the trope-heaviness of this story irked me a little bit, but I kept reminding myself that this was before the tropes. This story and its kin helped shape the tropes (see what I did there?).

I have the same problem with Tolkein's stuff.  It is so overly tropey because it was the source of the trope.  It's like saying "this water's awfully wet, isn't it?"  Still, it niggles.

I see what you did there. Personally I think we do ourselves a disservice when we reduce every story to a box of parts, and we spend more time looking for the individual pieces rather than enjoying the ride.
All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

hardware

• Matross
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
Yeah, another solid classic, probably the light-heartedness also helped me get over any outdated science tropes. But yeah, I also wondered what this very lightly guarded atomic energy source might be. Perhaps it takes place in the future when we are all powered by local fusion stations?

davidthygod

• Peltast
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »
All good things.  Fun, interesting, and funny and it flowed and held my interest perfectly.  I really like sci-fi from this era, and am definitely going to find more from Sheckley.  I like this era of sci-fi even better when it offends forum members sensibilities with its code of ethics from a simpler bygone era, see "A Rose for Ecclesiastes", which is awesome.  In this case, "Keep Your Shape" had the simple message of government control bad / freedom of choice good, which definitely works for me. 

The narrator and feedback voice talent was perfect.  IMO Nathan should do more narration, he has a perfect voice for Sci-Fi.
The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 04:35:45 AM »
Definitely enjoyed this one. It was fun! You knew the captain would cave eventually (because everybody who went before did), but it was still fun to see him go through the transformation.

Marlboro

• Palmer
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 03:40:16 AM »
I'm happy to see this episode was so well received. I recently became interested in Robert Sheckley's writing after hearing some of his stories on Mindwebs. Previously, I had only read his terrible DS9 novel and a couple of his Hugo nominated short stories. None of which are examples of his best work, imo.

Over the last few weeks I've read over 200 of his short stories and Ive enjoyed several of them. He had a knack for writing entertaining and memorable stories. It's a shame that an author who was so popular in the 50s seems to be almost forgotten today.

A few of my favorites:

Beside Still Waters
The Gun Without a Bang
The Petrified World
The Store of the Worlds
The Accountant
A Wind Is Rising
Paradise II
The Native Problem
Pilgrimage to Earth
Dawn Invader
Double Indemnity