Author Topic: Quick! Get us out of the house!  (Read 4346 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: June 01, 2007, 07:03:41 PM
Argh.  So the event that Anna and I were planning to attend this evening, for which we'd (for the first time ever) retained an outside babysitter, was canceled.

We still have the babysitter.  I want to get Anna out of the house and doing something fun and interesting.  There's a party we could go to for some minor acquaintances.  Or we could catch a movie, but I'm in the mood for something different.

I appeal to all of you.  This is Atlanta, it's a real city, we know that things happen around here.  What's a fun thing we can do tonight, on the spur of the moment, other than the typical dinner-and-a-movie?  It's okay if it involves other people, and it's okay if it doesn't.  If you're in Atlanta and you want to join us for something, that's cool too, if your idea is interesting.  I just want to get us out, and not staring at a screen for hours.

Any suggestions appreciated.  Thank you.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:26:12 PM
Argh.  So the event that Anna and I were planning to attend this evening, for which we'd (for the first time ever) retained an outside babysitter, was canceled.

We still have the babysitter.  I want to get Anna out of the house and doing something fun and interesting.  There's a party we could go to for some minor acquaintances.  Or we could catch a movie, but I'm in the mood for something different.

I appeal to all of you.  This is Atlanta, it's a real city, we know that things happen around here.  What's a fun thing we can do tonight, on the spur of the moment, other than the typical dinner-and-a-movie?  It's okay if it involves other people, and it's okay if it doesn't.  If you're in Atlanta and you want to join us for something, that's cool too, if your idea is interesting.  I just want to get us out, and not staring at a screen for hours.

Well, Knocked Up is supposed to be hilarious.  Everyone here says so.

Not to be a shill for my own company, but here's our events calendar.

Comedy:
Funny Farm
Punchline
(Funny Farm has an arcade and other attractions in the building.)

I believe you live close to Stone Mountain; when's the last time you took in the laser show?

And finally, my friend Melody's friend Matt is in the Shakespeare Tavern's production of Cabaret, and she said it was very good.

Enough stuff for you to pick from, I think.

I'd love to bring my wife out and go with you guys, but unfortunately we do not have a babysitter and our baby is only about 9.75 months old so we're kind of leery about leaving her with a neighborhood teen.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Simon Painter

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:46:50 PM
does Atlanta have any rivers?  Evening river walks can be very nice  :)

"Save the Squonk!"

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 07:49:30 PM
does Atlanta have any rivers?  Evening river walks can be very nice  :)

Just one, and you probably wouldn't want to walk along it.

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 07:59:48 PM

Well, Knocked Up is supposed to be hilarious.  Everyone here says so.

Not to be a shill for my own company, but here's our events calendar.

Comedy:
Funny Farm
Punchline
(Funny Farm has an arcade and other attractions in the building.)

I believe you live close to Stone Mountain; when's the last time you took in the laser show?

And finally, my friend Melody's friend Matt is in the Shakespeare Tavern's production of Cabaret, and she said it was very good.

Enough stuff for you to pick from, I think.

I'd love to bring my wife out and go with you guys, but unfortunately we do not have a babysitter and our baby is only about 9.75 months old so we're kind of leery about leaving her with a neighborhood teen.

I saw Cabaret here in Berlin, obviously a different group, a few months back.  It was pretty good.  Of course it takes place in Berlin, so I'm a little biased.

I've done the comedy club thing a few times. Catch a Rising Star and such.  It can be a kick or a disaster.

Atlanta is flooded with jazz clubs.  A few friends were there over the years and they said it was the best thing to do in town.  As a personal preference I don't like fee-form, but they said many of the clubs are one kind or the other and normally not both.  Sorry I don't have any names.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 08:01:01 PM

Hey, cool idea!  I see it's running through the start of July, so we'll have to make it out to that sometime.

For right now, though, we settled on Martinis & Imax.  If anyone wants to join us, e-mail me at sfeley@gmail.com and I'll give you my cell.

Bummer.  I remember those times!  Enjoy them!  (Actually, for a while when Alex was under a year, we'd take him with us to movies.  He slept through everything, so it wasn't disruptive.  >8->  We stopped that when he started staying awake.)

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 08:27:52 PM

Hey, cool idea!  I see it's running through the start of July, so we'll have to make it out to that sometime.

For right now, though, we settled on Martinis & Imax.  If anyone wants to join us, e-mail me at sfeley@gmail.com and I'll give you my cell.

Bummer.  I remember those times!  Enjoy them!  (Actually, for a while when Alex was under a year, we'd take him with us to movies.  He slept through everything, so it wasn't disruptive.  >8->  We stopped that when he started staying awake.)

Have a good time.

Alyssa is like I used to be -- she hates to go to sleep (except at bedtime, when she accepts it) because she's afraid she'll miss something.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 08:53:41 PM
Babysitters are angels, man.  I hope you guys have a good time on your night out.