Author Topic: What a drag it is getting old...  (Read 5126 times)

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
on: May 06, 2007, 04:55:05 AM
Wednesday night at Hapkido, I get all the ribs on my left side compressed and bruised while grappling, now I know what someone who needs CPR feels like. Friday I wrench and mangle my knee doing yard work.

Anyone got a spare robot body laying around?

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 06:46:08 AM
Pffft! Why go robot body when you can purchase a much more compatible clone body? Robot body... how silly.

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:37:57 PM
Personally I prefer synthetic...all the fun of organic with none of the annoying associated processes. 

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 03:55:39 AM
Well, think of all the Union Dues stories you can write while you recuperate.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 02:00:31 PM
Well, think of all the Union Dues stories you can write while you recuperate.

I am pretty much all mended now, save for a few twinges and aches here and there. I haven't written a new UD story since completing The Saga of Tam Suji about a month ago. In the interrum I've -

Written two 5000+ word drafts of a "zombies on a slave ship" story called Lady of Mercy. They both stink.

Started tearing down "Union Dues: All About the Sponsors" to rework the present-day part of the story and throw a few more smoking guns around to lead into the end of the Team ShiKariGaki stories.

Edited out the song lyrics from "Union Dues: A Noose with Jade Accents" because I could not secure rights to use them.

Written a 15 page series of carefully though out, informative, and funny answers to the questions presented to me by Paula B of "The Writing Show" in preparation for an interview to air in the next week or two.

Deviated from those answers almost as soon as the interview started so I will no doubt sound like an insane asylum escapee.

Spent two days after the interview kicking myself as hard as I can with my good leg for being a doofus during the interview.

Added a nice blog entry to try and premptively control damage from the interview on my MySpace page.

Added 4000 words to my ersatz Zatoichi novella.

Renumbered Chapters and did a type-o check in my novel Tears of Amaterasu.

Prepared a better agent/publisher submission packet for said novel.

Started to grow gill as 7 days of continous rain has activated latent Salamander DNA somewhere in my double helix.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 04:13:24 AM
wow.
just... wow.
i couldn't get that much stuff done if i had a full year of nothing!
kudos!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 01:34:36 PM
wow.
just... wow.
i couldn't get that much stuff done if i had a full year of nothing!
kudos!

I was raised in a restaurant kitchen, so I've been conditioned to work at 100% speed and effort for every waking moment. Since writing that post, I've -

Completed two drafts of Lady of Mercy - the first at 7600 words, the second at 6000, the first one doesn't stink, the second one does.

Started the next Team Shikaragaki story, The Trial of Johnny Toroku (currently about 1500 words)

Continued rework on "All About the Sponsors" to bring the modern part of the story into line with the Union Dues arc.

Added another 2500 words to the ersatz Zatoichi story.

Cut my enormous lawn (3 acres) twice and rototilled the vegetable garden.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 06:09:57 PM
Since my last post, I've eaten a few meals, posted some obnoxious stuff on various message boards, did a little gaming, installed a new mattress and box spring, and, um, well, that's about it.

Animals in hibernation are more productive than I am, most of the time.

Scares me how much Jeff gets done.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:11:38 PM by Jim »

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 08:19:05 AM
I was raised in a restaurant kitchen, so I've been conditioned to work at 100% speed and effort for every waking moment.
Off topic, but I am convinced that this is the secret of success.  Successful people are smart and stupid, well and poorly educated, start rich and start poor, immigrant and non-immigrant.  The people who achieve their goals work hard.  I'm guessing that jrderego doesn't spend a lot of time watching Will and Grace reruns.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 12:14:00 PM
I was raised in a restaurant kitchen, so I've been conditioned to work at 100% speed and effort for every waking moment.
Off topic, but I am convinced that this is the secret of success.  Successful people are smart and stupid, well and poorly educated, start rich and start poor, immigrant and non-immigrant.  The people who achieve their goals work hard.  I'm guessing that jrderego doesn't spend a lot of time watching Will and Grace reruns.

Nope :) I watch a fair share of TV though, but it's usually some variant of The History Channel. Though, I watch a lot of baseball and because I have kids, a lot of Spongebob and Curious George.