Author Topic: Podcasting Setup Suggestions?  (Read 3717 times)

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
on: May 06, 2007, 04:23:43 PM
I saw that the Samson CO1U Pack was mentioned earlier. If I had a budget of say... $250-500 for hardware, what would be some good items to get? Like that Rode Podcaster Broadcast quality mic, anyone hear anything on that? Is there much difference between the 'pop stoppers'? Any suggestions on mixers? Or ditching mixers? Anything else I forgot? I'm extraordinarily noobish in this so, please have mercy

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:49:10 PM
If you're noobish, then stick to the basics.  Get yourself a $20 headset mic and free copy of Audacity.  And then play around with them.  Don't worry about mixers, pop stoppers, and other such rigamarole.  Just get the bare minium you need to start, and start.  Once you get the hang of it, have a few episodes under your belt, and feel you have a good idea of what kind of podcast you want, then you should get equipment to facilitate that.  But if you're just starting out, don't make it harder than you have too.

Equipment is fun and exciting, but you don't need much to start. And some of it might not be nessary (you aren't going to need a mixer, for example, if your only imput is one mic) Save your money for when you have a better idea of what you want to do.

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:15:41 PM
I chanced upon a inexpensive Podcasting kit for 40% off at a CompUSA that was closing.  The M-Audio (about $150, w/o 40% discount) Podcast Factory includes:

-A decent XLR Microphone with small stand and 3' cord.
-A rudimentary stereo/mono recording interface with a guitar jack input and about three knobs.
-Audiology on a disc. You can get this for free at their site but its nice to have it on cd.
-A couple of useless complementary programs that didn't work.

Having a strong sound card is a must.  The only problem is that I have to manualy switch between the M-Audio and Soundblaster drivers in the control panel.  Also, I can get my speakers to work with it.

Otherwise, If you are starting out like me and don't want to spend too much, it worked for me.

You may hear my novice attempt on M-Audio here: http://www.diabeticincandyland.com

Diabetic in Candyland -
Stories about Winning at Losing and Failing Successfully.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:08:23 PM
EXCELENT ideas! I do get a bit geeked and feel the whole "I gotta get an uber setup so i can omgwtfpwn everyone NOW" coming on. probably best I goof around first.