Escape Artists
July 17, 2018, 04:53:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC324: Without Faith, Without Law, Without Joy  (Read 4607 times)
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »

But in reality we are all so much more complex than that

Everyone except me.  I look like an annoying forum pedant and that's really all I am.   Cheesy 

Break free! Get away from Faerie and come back to Earth. We miss you. I promise, most of what you've lost will return to you if you get out of there. Follow your memories. Come back to us!

Obviously, his true name is "Blinking". C'mon, Blinking, remember who you are!

Ha!  You guys are awesome.  Oddly, my eyes are actually more sensitive to light and other things than your average person.  My optometrist probably hated me when air-puff eye blood pressure tests were the norm because I'd shut my eyes in anticipation every time.  I know that the lady who tried to help me put in my first pair of contact lenses hated me because that was a horrible ordeal for both of us--it took some weeks of constant practice before I could keep my own eyes open when I put the contacts in myself!

I don't want to be "Blinking" though.  "Unblinking" just sounds cooler, and I always smile when I hear it in a story. 
Although, if I were "Blinking" then I would get to be in Robin Hood: Men in Tights with the awesome Cary Elwes, and also in a Shel Silverstein poem.  Smiley
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 08:16:10 AM »

And general optical sensitivity is probably not the kind of defining personality trait that would end up working in the same way as these guys.  Would probably be something more along the lines of being a project magpie--always collecting new things to do.  Maybe the polar version of me just sits and watches TV idly.  Tongue
ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »

I have that same problem, but I always thought mine was psychological. I got a cut on my cornea during a judo class as a child and have never been able to tolerate putting things on my eye ever after. I've never even bothered trying to put in contact lenses. Even just thinking about them makes me feel slightly ill.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:05 AM »

I have that same problem, but I always thought mine was psychological. I got a cut on my cornea during a judo class as a child and have never been able to tolerate putting things on my eye ever after. I've never even bothered trying to put in contact lenses. Even just thinking about them makes me feel slightly ill.

I'm sure mine is psychological too, at least in respect to air-puffs and contact lenses.  Once I got in the practice I could get the contact lens in there (though they gave me such chronic itching that I eventually abandoned contact lenses entirely and now just wear glasses).

I think the light sensitivity is physiological, because I do get splitting headaches and just generally feel ill if I forget to protect my eyes on bright days.
SpareInch
Hipparch

Will there be sugar after the rebellion?

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »

Ha!  You guys are awesome.  Oddly, my eyes are actually more sensitive to light and other things than your average person.  My optometrist probably hated me when air-puff eye blood pressure tests were the norm because I'd shut my eyes in anticipation every time.  I know that the lady who tried to help me put in my first pair of contact lenses hated me because that was a horrible ordeal for both of us--it took some weeks of constant practice before I could keep my own eyes open when I put the contacts in myself!

Those air puff things are for the pressure of the Ocular Fluid inside the eye, not blood pressure. And it's a lot better than the instruments usually used in hospitals here in TheUK in the 80s and 90s, which used a small plastic probe touched to the front of the eye.

There! Now I've got that off my chest. I had decades of those tests while I was going blind. Sight is SO SO SO SO SO important, so REMEMBER THOSE SUNGLASSES!  Cool

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »

Those air puff things are for the pressure of the Ocular Fluid inside the eye, not blood pressure. And it's a lot better than the instruments usually used in hospitals here in TheUK in the 80s and 90s, which used a small plastic probe touched to the front of the eye.

There! Now I've got that off my chest. I had decades of those tests while I was going blind. Sight is SO SO SO SO SO important, so REMEMBER THOSE SUNGLASSES!  Cool

Ah, I guess I thought the fluid inside the eye was blood--didn't realize it was other than that!

All my optometrist visits in the last ten years or so have used the plastic probe touched to the eye instead of the airpuff, which I found to be a huge relief because even though it's creepy that it touches my eye I find myself better able to subject myself to that test than to the airpuff--the only thing I find a little annoying about the probe is that the numbing drops make my eyes feel sticky all day afterward.

ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »

Ah, I guess I thought the fluid inside the eye was blood--didn't realize it was other than that!

All my optometrist visits in the last ten years or so have used the plastic probe touched to the eye instead of the airpuff, which I found to be a huge relief because even though it's creepy that it touches my eye I find myself better able to subject myself to that test than to the airpuff--the only thing I find a little annoying about the probe is that the numbing drops make my eyes feel sticky all day afterward.

Oh, no. It's this amazing clear jelly called the vitreous humor!

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 01:40:04 AM »

This episode was voted the fifth best PodCastle story of our first ten years, and was re-aired as PodCastle 516a.

Happy Birthday to PodCastle! Cake will be served in the flying castle's west tower.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: