Author Topic: PC328: The Old Woman With No Teeth  (Read 11411 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: September 11, 2014, 04:19:37 PM
PodCastle 328: The Old Woman With No Teeth

by Patricia Russo

Read by Wilson Fowlie and M.K. Hobson (PodCastle’s Sons of Buttery Thunder)

Originally published in Clockwork Phoenix 4, Edited by Mike Allen.

When The Old Woman With No Teeth decided to have children, she didn’t go about it in the usual way.  Well, really, what else could you expect from The Old Woman With No Teeth?   If she ever did anything the usual way, even boiling a pot of water, the world might start spinning widdershins on its axis.

“Now you just stop that.  I can read perfectly well, you impudent ragger.  Set down what I told you, and don’t believe all the stories you’ve heard about me.”

There are many stories about The Old Woman With No Teeth, but people should not believe all of them.  The most popular one is that she wore away her teeth by chewing a tunnel to the six-sided world.  Nobody knows if this story is true.  Many people have looked for the passageway she is supposed to have gnawed through reality, but none of the venturers have managed to pinpoint it.

“None of the ones who’ve come back, you mean.  Silly bastards.”

Rated PG.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:43:41 PM by Talia »

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 01:55:00 AM
Without a doubt my favorite part was listening to the hack scribbler re-write at the demand of the Old Woman with No Teeth.....

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:51:55 AM
All I can say is that the she seems to speak pretty clearly for an old woman with no teeth.

"The Old Woman With No Teeth (tm) was able to speak clearly because of a potion she brewed every fortnight, which used the blood of grandparents, but a small enough amount that with her large contingent of old people living with her, she could draw a small enough amount from each that it was not noticed."

Will you quit making things up? I am able to enunciate clearly with no teeth because of long practice.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 02:02:12 PM
I had the absolute pleasure of listening to this yestrday during my lunchtime walk.  I work in a very large "industrial park" and I have gotten into the habit of taking long walks while listening either to podcasts or audiobooks, and this was the first time that I was actually a bit self-conscious as the cars drove by. I was literally laughing out loud, wide grin full of teeth and all.  I had to look a bit unstable.

I like the memoir style for stories, and this for me was a new twist on it. The Old Woman With No Teeth is a fantastic character, I love cranky old women who aren't quite as cranky as they appear to be. Someone once referred to me as "The Diet Coke of Evil" when I was trying to be diabolical, and TOWWNT reminded me of that. I am going to imagine she and the Scribbler having many years of companionable banter ahead of them, perhaps even together caring for the "children".

May we please have more Sons of Buttery Thunder? Please?

And, Dave, I really appreciated the amendment to the ending quote :)  Thank you!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:11:01 AM
I thought it was a delightful story, though I really didn't like the interaction between the narrator and the old woman with no teeth. It was just not my kind of humour.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:24:10 PM
I liked this one. It was short, sweet, and delightfully bizarre.

I wonder if the Old Woman With No Teeth is related to the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home?

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Chuk

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 04:30:54 PM
The readers were very well matched to the story -- definitely one case where the audio version is (probably) better than the plain text.

--
chuk

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 12:14:26 PM
I was having a bad day when I listened to this one, dealing with all kinds of nonsense from my natural gas company that resulted in me taking half a day off of work to wait for a repairman that never ended up coming.  Then I listened to this story, and it had me laughing.  Fun story, made all the more fun by the awesome pairing--this audio is better than the text alone would be because of that.  I loved how the old woman with no teeth kept correcting the writer, especially when he started taking poetic license writing what she was supposed to have been imagining etc.  Great humor, that.  I tend to like cranky old women characters who aren't so cranky as they put on--Granny Weatherwax is one of my all time favorite characters.

Good show!

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:39:52 AM
I straight-up loved this story both because of the reading (all my wildest audio-fantasies have come true at last in one glorious butter-drenched Hobson/Fowlie reading!) and because the story itself reminded me of a friend of mine. Who is neither old nor a woman. Also, he has all his teeth. But I loved this story as a hilarious character-sketch of the sort of person who projects a certain prickliness but is basically all kittens and old-people-children inside. Plus, the way the Scribbler gradually emerges as his own character who also thinks the Old Woman is a complete badass was delightful. :)

I'm also with Danooli on the compulsive cackling. I was out on a run while listening to this one, and by the end was so out of breath from random uncontrollable laughter that I had to stop and walk a few minutes. :D

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 03:13:12 AM
This was so great! The story was very cute, and I too loved all of the on-the-fly editing going on as the Old Woman corrected the Scribbler. But, hearing this read by our own "Sons of Buttery Thunder" elevated it to one of my favorite episodes ever for sheer enjoyment. Such a win! ;D

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 10:41:51 PM
In my head, this was animated by Studio Ghibli.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Cynandre

• Palmer
  • I May be Addicted to Words...
    • Cynandre
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:04:41 PM
In my head, this was animated by Studio Ghibli.

Yep, in my head as well.  :)

Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.

mkhobson

• Palmer
  • "Only the irrational is unendurable." -Epictetus
    • M.K. Hobson's Webpage
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 04:32:16 PM
Wilson and I had a lot of fun reading this together. What I'd really love to do with PodCastle someday is a full-on old-time radio play, like the old "Shadow", with sound effects, etc.  I know we've done full-cast recordings, but I'm talking a realtime play where the actors can actually work off each others' energy instead of having their lines edited together later. But unless you could get everyone together live in a studio (which would be the biggest blast *ever*) you'd have to figure out how to do it virtually -- and Wilson and I struggled to do that with just the two of us.

In any case, I would pay cash money to hear Wilson read the line "who know what evil lurks in the hearts of men ... The Shadow knows (bwahahahaha)!"

Check it out, I've even got a signature now!
www.demimonde.com

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 06:17:18 AM
What I'd really love to do with PodCastle someday is a full-on old-time radio play, like the old "Shadow", with sound effects, etc. 
<snip>
In any case, I would pay cash money to hear Wilson read the line "who know what evil lurks in the hearts of men ... The Shadow knows (bwahahahaha)!"

I second that emotion…..

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 06:03:49 PM
Hmm, should I start a Kickstarter?  ;D

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

mkhobson

• Palmer
  • "Only the irrational is unendurable." -Epictetus
    • M.K. Hobson's Webpage
Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 06:10:48 PM
Wilson, if we could find a script that we liked, maybe we could identify potential cast members, and a con where we could all meet up and do the recording at a local studio. The upcoming Worldcon in Spokane might be a good candidate ...

Check it out, I've even got a signature now!
www.demimonde.com

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 02:50:36 PM
Wilson, if we could find a script that we liked, maybe we could identify potential cast members, and a con where we could all meet up and do the recording at a local studio. The upcoming Worldcon in Spokane might be a good candidate ...

That would be super cool!  And even if it didn't fit in at Podcastle on the main feed, could always publish it some other way, or have it be an incentive episode or something. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 03:15:20 PM

Hobson and Wilson - I like the way you both think :)

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 03:56:03 PM
That sounds like fun! I know a couple of people who may have such a script, so I'll make some inquiries.

I have to admit, though, when I mentioned the Kickstarter, I was (jokingly!) riffing on this part of what you said (and which I assumed InfiniteMonkey agreed with):

:D

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

danooli

Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 06:11:59 PM
I am going to pout until this happens.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 07:34:27 PM

This week's PodCastle is sponsored by Danooli's Pouts!

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 08:41:59 AM
I'd say this episode was adorable except that The Old Woman With No Teeth would probably smite me.

Wow, that town, though, ghettoizing all its older denizens to avoid making the tourists uncomfortable! Sort of like a cross between Logan's Run and, well, how a number of towns treat their homeless. I'd leave with TOWWNT too.

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 10:21:28 AM
I'd say this episode was adorable except that The Old Woman With No Teeth would probably smite me.

Wow, that town, though, ghettoizing all its older denizens to avoid making the tourists uncomfortable! Sort of like a cross between Logan's Run and, well, how a number of towns treat their homeless. I'd leave with TOWWNT too.

Have you never wondered what Sheltered Housing is all about?

Ostensibly, it's to allow the elderly to live independent lives in their own homes, but with help on hand at the touch of a button if they need it.

But...

It also has the effect of making all the old people live in the same neighbourhood, shop at the same supermarket, and use the same street to walk between the two.

So maybe the new bylaw in the story wasn't so far from the truth after all. :(

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

danooli

Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 12:40:32 PM

Ok, I lied. That broke the pout and produced an enormous grin. :D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 03:38:52 PM

Ok, I lied. That broke the pout and produced an enormous grin. :D

Wait, does that mean that we now won't get this week's episode?  Danooli, you've gotta pout again!