Author Topic: Looking For... Space Opera  (Read 6105 times)

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:19 AM
I have a strange hankering to read something Space Opera. Preferably with space pirates. Historically inspired space pirates. Something new and interesting, not tired sci-fi tropes trotted out with fresh makeup. And while we're talking about makeup, I want it to have modern and not despicable ideas about race and gender.

Is there anything like that out there? I'm taking suggestions.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 03:42:27 PM
I have a strange hankering to read something Space Opera. Preferably with space pirates. Historically inspired space pirates. Something new and interesting, not tired sci-fi tropes trotted out with fresh makeup. And while we're talking about makeup, I want it to have modern and not despicable ideas about race and gender.

Hmm, "historically inspired" doesn't really fit, but I think several stories that ran on the Drabblecast come pretty close. They were written by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette, and are set in the same universe. At least one of them involves pirates (female captain).
At the very least, they are all excellent stories. :)

Boojum (parts 1 & 2) - link goes to part 1

Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward (parts 1 & 2), link goes to part 1

Mongoose (also multi-part)

You might be able to find the texts to these somewhere too, but the audio production on DC is excellent.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:09:26 PM
there's always Space Casey

modified because of a damn typo
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:45:27 AM by lowky »

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:19:18 AM

Hmm, "historically inspired" doesn't really fit, but I think several stories that ran on the Drabblecast come pretty close. They were written by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette, and are set in the same universe. At least one of them involves pirates (female captain).
At the very least, they are all excellent stories. :)

Boojum (parts 1 & 2) - link goes to part 1

Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward (parts 1 & 2), link goes to part 1

Mongoose (also multi-part)

You might be able to find the texts to these somewhere too, but the audio production on DC is excellent.

It doesn't count if you recommend something I already listened to. Heck, Norm quoted my blog post reviewing Mongoose Part One as part of the intro to Mongoose Part Two!

And it definitely doesn't count if you don't actually finish your sentence, lowky! ><

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:40:20 AM
(I took your question to Twitter, and following here are some suggestions!)

There's some excellent space opera in The Other Half of the Sky. (Thanks, Cat Rambo! She also reminded me of this EP classic.)

Also, the Solaris Rising anthologies, like this one.

Benjanun Sriduangkaew also writes some pretty spectacular, unusual space opera (the "Hegemony" universe)--you'll have to pick through 'em, but you can find a listing here. (Thanks, Cecily Kane!)

Sandra McDonald's "Outback" series (Thanks, Laurel Amberdine!)

(I'll update this if/when more suggestions come in)

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:54 PM
You know that thing where people "sell" books on Amazon for an absurd price, like 1¢? I love that thing.

I got Outback Stars. It'll be here on Friday. Let me know if anything else pops up, and I'll let you know how I like it!

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:09:13 PM
Oh, please do come back and say what you thought, if you read some of these! I have to admit I've not read most of the things on this list, but they were all recommended by people of good taste. :)

Here's a couple other suggestions sent to me this morning:

"The Waiting Stars" Aliette de Bodard (novelette)

Up Against It by MJ Locke (novel)

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 06:31:11 PM
You like Daniel Abraham, IIRC? Have you tried the Expanse books (which he co-wrote as James S.A. Corey)? They are maybe more traditional in that they don't try to reinvent space opera or its tropes, but they are so much fun, and the authors take on race and gender I think aligns with your own. Especially in Book 2, where one of the viewpoint characters is a female space marine, and the other is a 70 year-old Indian woman who is the U.N. Assistant Undersecretary and is probably my favorite character in the whole series.

You'll also like Jim Holden, the central protagonist just fine, as he exudes the best Kirk-ish qualities.

Other than that, not sure I have anything else here to add...except my obligatory suggestion of Ancillary Justice, which you may have already read?

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 06:31:15 PM
I'm a couple of chapters into The Outback Stars and LOVING it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now, if only I could get my wife to make a space pirate character for me to run a game for…

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 11:27:39 PM
Oh man... Outback Stars was awesome. I'm going to go buy Stars Down Under right now.