Author Topic: EP047: Poet for Hire  (Read 4163 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 14, 2009, 03:17:52 PM
EP047: Poet for Hire

By Sue Burke.
Read by Mur Lafferty.

She had been wondering if she should start her own poetry business. She believed Milwaukee might need a poet for hire to spread the magic of verse around the town. Sometimes, in her current job as a medical secretary, she secretly wrote poems for especially ill patients. They got well, and Verity felt certain the focused mental energy from the poems helped them. She wanted to write poetry full-time to spread its energy to more people — to become the city’s first commercial free-lance poet.

Rated G.  Contains implied violence and the sordid crimes of the pickle business.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 03:26:36 AM
Delightful.

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 03:05:04 PM
Fun and silly, and it left me wondering if anyone could actually do that for a living.  Probably not, but maybe someone could do it on the side of their regular job for a little supplemental income.  I saw the twist coming a little way off, but enjoyed the ride nonetheless, and twas good to see her come out ahead of the villain.  I'm sure in the future she will only use her poetry for good!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:02:31 PM
There were some great set pieces for a spec fic story.

These domes had a significant influence on my early childhood, both the exterior and the interior. I loved visiting them. The story was nice, and enhanced by a shot of nostalgia.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

dSlacker

• Extern
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:06:25 AM