Author Topic: Story analysis  (Read 3078 times)

arikb

• Extern
on: October 26, 2014, 02:18:50 PM

Hello folks,

There's something that's been bothering for a while, and now it bothered me enough to actually write in the forums.

I'm talking about the fact that after the story ends, Alasdair immediately commences to analyse the story. I find it necessary to either stop or skip it.

Not because It's a bad analysis. It's not. Not because I am tired of Alasdair's voice - I'm not, not since he changed his audio setup anyway. It's because I need the time. I want to take a few minutes and ponder the story. On my own. Explore my feelings about it and develop my own ideas about what it is I just heard. I don't want to be spoon-fed another's analysis, good as it may be. I want to see what it means to me.

Minutes (or hours) later, I might want to go back and listen to it - but not right now.

Is it just me?

Regards,

-- Arik

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:31:54 PM
While I understand your dilemma (contemplative mental "digestion" of fiction after the fact is a necessary part of full appreciation), it seems likely that the answer to it is prudent use of the pause button, as the only other option would be inserting a 30 minute bit of silence or moving commentary to the next week's episode, which is too close to the "feedback" model of the other casts for my liking.  Perhaps make it a habit to start the listening of a new pseudopod episode by listening to the ending of the previous week's episode?

I can honestly say, without any exaggeration, that Al's endcaps are the most popular aspect of the show, possibly even more popular than the stories themselves, and mentioned far more often by commentators and reviewers than any other thing - changing them (not that you're suggesting that) would be like deliberately cutting my throat! 

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:43:28 PM
I agree with Shawn.  Totally makes sense to use your Pause button for that thing, but putting it anywhere else wouldn't make sense and cutting it entirely would be a major loss. 

Personally I listen to it right away.  If I didn't like the story, Al often casts it in a new light that makes me see the value that I missed.  Even if I like the story he may have seen a complete tangent thought process I hadn't noticed.  Does it change my thought process about the story?  Yeah, sure.  But I think it makes an interesting conversation on the story anyway, even if Al's half of the convo is pre-recorded.

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 06:49:03 PM
I'll cast another vote for loving Al's intros and outtros to death. They're thoughtful, thought-provoking, and just plain cool. For me, Pseudopod wouldn't be the same without them. Keep 'em coming, Al! :D

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com