Escape Artists
November 14, 2018, 06:39:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: EP651/EP105: Impossible Dreams  (Read 34145 times)
Boggled Coriander
Lochage

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »

Like most other people, I really enjoyed this story.  Afterwards I had a thought that I haven't seen posted here.

This story reminded me of others I've seen, in print and on TV, where a protagonist who was dissatisfied with his life got a fleeting glimpse of something extraordinary.  And, either because of choices he made or because "it just wasn't meant to be", the story always ends with the protagonist feeling sadder but wiser, with (at best) some happy memories, some little token to remember the wondrous experience by, or maybe a fresh determination to make the most of his crummy situation in life.

That's what I was steeling myself for, listening to this story.  Instead, what I got was... an unambiguously happy ending.

Sure, there are all those parallel-universe movies the protagonist will never get to see.  Considering that he's gained happiness with his new fellow-movie-geek love interest, that seems unimportant.  And his new love can explore a whole new cinematic universe...

The ending had me flying high.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest
El Barto
Peltast

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »

I kind of like being the first person to comment here in over a year.   Hopefully we will see more comments "way after the fact" as other people stumble on Escape Pod and then listen to all 200+ episodes like I'm doing.

(Reading these discussions right after listening to the stories feels a little naughty -- as if I'm cheating by reading a month's worth of debate all at once when everyone else had to experience it in real-time.)

Anyway, I enjoyed this story.  I liked his unexpected frustrations, momentary thoughts of crime, and the way he handled the money.   I'm not sure why he waited so long to tell her what was happening, but liked that in the end it was her and not him who made the leap.

4 stars

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »

Loved it!  So far this is the only Hugo nominated that impressed me (and no surprise that it's a Pratt--his writing seems to be ideal for my tastes, the worst of his stories were still well above average and the best are just fantastic).

As a mediaphile I could totally relate to this guy.  My tastes tend to spread out more across different types of media, including books, movies, and video games, but I can totally see it.  Now the story's made me a little bit sad that I can't see all those movies!!!  Especially Selleck as Indy and the rendition of Ender's Game.

I like how the alternate universe had very little changes but all the money and technology were so divergent.  There is no "right" way to format a movie, there just has to be some standard, it doesn't matter that much what the standard is.  So tiny differences in history could really throw everything off.

I was rather angry when he just seemed to decide he wasn't going to see her again--I was silently shouting "what the hell are you doing?!  all you have to do is be in the story when the flip happens!"

And a quibble that didn't really diminish my enjoyment:  They're missing out on mucho opportunity by not taking any movies across from her world.  Sure, you can't play them NOW, but that doesn't mean that they'll be unusable FOREVER.  Take a DVD player, a sack of your favorite movies across and hire someone to reverse engineer the DVD player for you and then alter it to deal with current voltages and video formats.  Then rip to a standard DVD.  Sure, the reverse engineering would be expensive, but just think about what you could do with those DVDs once converted!  You could make millions and never have to live off peanut butter again!!  OK, so you probably couldn't sell them in any legitimate way--I'm not exactly sure what copyright law would do in this circumstance.  They wouldn't protect video which had never been recorded in this universe, but any movie that had too similar a script to a released movie would get in trouble.  But the later works of Orson Welles, for instance, you could probably get away with.  But...  It's probably just as well Pratt didn't go there.  It would've been a huge divergence.  But it's what I would've done.  Smiley
Schreiber
Peltast

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2010, 05:12:43 PM »

I'm trying to find a text version of "Impossible Dreams" for my students this week, but Asimov no longer has it online. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,
Sam
Heradel
Bill Peters, EP Assistant
Hipparch

Part-Time Psychopomp.

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »

I'm trying to find a text version of "Impossible Dreams" for my students this week, but Asimov no longer has it online. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,
Sam

Wayback machine to the rescue: http://web.archive.org/web/20070422075939/http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0704/Impossibledreams.shtml

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.
Schreiber
Peltast

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »

Thanks,
Sam

Wayback machine to the rescue: http://web.archive.org/web/20070422075939/http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0704/Impossibledreams.shtml

Thanks Heradel. I owe you a drink of your choice at the next con we both happen to attend. Smiley
Heradel
Bill Peters, EP Assistant
Hipparch

Part-Time Psychopomp.

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »

Thanks,
Sam

Thanks Heradel. I owe you a drink of your choice at the next con we both happen to attend. Smiley

Given my slightly-godly status I usually go for the ambrosia, but it was a quick google search so I don't think anything's owed, though I do need to start going to conventions once I'm out of college and not broke.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2010, 11:48:38 PM »

I wonder if in that parallel universe, Natalie Wood lived and Douglas Trumbull got to finish Brainstorm with the original ending.

(guess what film I just watched)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Number_6
Extern

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »

I need the universe in this story to have Dune directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky instead of David Lynch.
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »

I need the universe in this story to have Dune directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky instead of David Lynch.

You and me both.  Did I already mention that upthread?  I think I did, but it's been so long I don't remember.

[edit]
Not in this thread; must have been another.

Wilson Fowlie
Hipparch

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »

This is the first-ever story I listened to on Escape Pod, possibly even my first-ever podcast (yeah, I came kinda late to the podcast party).

Today, a friend pointed me to this page, which I think people who enjoyed this story (and maybe even the guy who wrote it!) will also enjoy.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2010, 11:01:51 AM »

Those are great  Grin

I got a bit ridiculously excited when I saw Clint Eastwood in The Dark Tower. And Shat as DD would've been a great 70s film. 

Geez. I'm really, really wishing there was a Reyes and Straume TV show these days...

Swamp
Hipparch

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »

No, no, it's Ford and Straume.  I even put them in one of my stories.  But there could be a spin-off called "S.J. and the Bear" starring Sayid (Jarrah) and Hugo Reyes.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »

I would be happiest if it was all three of them: Ford, Straume, and Reyes. And Sayid should definitely have a regular guest spot!

stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »

"Batman IIX" ? If that's supposed to be a Roman number, it's a nonesuch.

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »

Nice link! 

Yeah, Eastwood in the Dark Tower is a good one, though I'm sure it wasn't hard to think of--that's how I pictured Roland throughout the whole series and I'm guessing King pictured that too.

Tim Curry as the Joker--ah, so THAT'S what happened to the sweet transvestite transsexual from Transylvania.

Bruce Lee as Neo--hell yeah!  Though I seem to be the only one who liked Keanu in the role.  I really had no complaints about the casting except for the Oracle's replacement in the 3rd movie.  The conversations with the original Oracle and the Architect are worth the trilogy in themselves.
ibabox
Extern

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2011, 10:56:10 PM »

I know I am a few years late for this post, but I just had to put my two cents in. I loved this episode by far my fav something about the connections that the two main characters have over movies really hits close to home. I was afraid at first that this story was going to have a sad ending almost didn't want to hear it all the way though. I am glad that I did, as a person that decided to move half way around the globe to be with the person that I love, I can see the choice that was presented to both the characters and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that one did make the leave from one world to the next, even if it was not for love.

I really doubt that anyone will read this, but I felt compelled to write it none the less.
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »

I don't think anyone puts a time limit on when you can post happy thoughts.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »

I know I am a few years late for this post, but I just had to put my two cents in. I loved this episode by far my fav something about the connections that the two main characters have over movies really hits close to home. I was afraid at first that this story was going to have a sad ending almost didn't want to hear it all the way though. I am glad that I did, as a person that decided to move half way around the globe to be with the person that I love, I can see the choice that was presented to both the characters and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that one did make the leave from one world to the next, even if it was not for love.

I really doubt that anyone will read this, but I felt compelled to write it none the less.

At least two people have read it.  The forum's nice enough to bring newly commented threads to the top, and I think there are plenty of folks like me who enjoy reading comments no matter how old the thread.

Cheers!
jwbjerk
Palmer

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »

+
One of my favorites on Escape Pod.

The concept was not ground-breaking, but it was explored pretty well in ways that were relevant to the character: i.e. money, electricity, media formats.

What really worked for me was that things were fleshed out enough so that i felt like there really was another world behind that video store-- barely visible, intriguing, remote.  The sense of possibilities...

Maybe it's just the perspective of the down-and-out girl, but i got the idea that this alternate USA was a darker, grimmer place than we currently have.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: