Author Topic: Call for Submissions: ARTEMIS RISING (UPDATED)  (Read 3885 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: November 13, 2014, 02:23:47 PM
Artemis Rising Submissions Update

This is a brief update on the status of our Artemis Rising submissions.

Initially, when the call for submissions was made, I had thought we’d be able to respond to them all by Christmas (yesterday). We received many more submissions than we’d expected, and as a result, we’re running a little behind. (This is not a complaint – we’re floored and delighted by the quality of submissions we’ve seen.)

As a result, we need to extend our response deadline for a couple more weeks. We plan to have responded to all of our submissions by January 9th.

We do apologize for the delay, and appreciate your patience.

This is going to be a very special month for PodCastle and all of Escape Artists. Thanks for participating in it with us!

Sincerely,

Dave Thompson and Anna Schwind,
Editors, PodCastle

Call for Submissions: ARTEMIS RISING

PodCastle is looking for submissions between now and December 5 to celebrate ARTEMIS RISING, a special month-long event across all three Escape Artists podcasts featuring stories by some of the best female authors in genre fiction.

For ARTEMIS RISING, PodCastle is looking to fill the entire month with original female-authored fantasy fiction. Payment will be $.06 per word.

Who Can Submit

If you identify as a woman, we’d love to see your story.
As always, we at PodCastle strongly encourage submissions from people of backgrounds that have been historically underrepresented or excluded from traditional fantasy fiction, including, but not limited to, people of color, LGBTQ or non-binary gender people, persons with disabilities, members of religious minorities, and people from outside the United States.  Our goal is to publish fantasy that reflects the diversity of the human race, so we strongly encourage submissions from these or any other underrepresented groups.

What to Submit

Send in your best fantasy fiction between approximately 2,000 – 6,000 words. We have a little bit of flexibility here, but keep in mind stories much more than 6,000 words will be a difficult sell for us.

While PodCastle typically features reprints, we’re on the lookout for original stories for ARTEMIS RISING. Please do not send reprints. Actually, do send them – just not for ARTEMIS RISING.

You can send us one submission for ARTEMIS RISING. If we have another story under consideration already (such as a reprint), we’d be happy to consider an additional story for ARTEMIS RISING.

As usual, we do accept simultaneous submissions.

Our goal is to have responses sent out before Christmas Day. If this changes due to the volume of submissions received, we’ll update you.

How to Submit

Email your story to us at submit (at) podcastle.org with the subject headline: ARTEMIS RISING SUBMISSION: [Story Title]. Please follow our usual submission guidelines on how to format your story.

Thanks, and we look forward to reading your stories!

Best,

Anna Schwind and Dave Thompson
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:33:08 PM by Talia »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:36:11 PM
Thank you, Talia  :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:17:12 PM
Question: Is this correct: "As usual, we do accept simultaneous submissions."

Answer: It is. Since most of the stuff we run is reprints anyway (and we're not overly concerned about it being podcasted elsewhere) we don't mind if the story is under submission elsewhere (so long as it's not EP or PP).

ETA: waittaminute. What happened to Eytan's post?!?! Edited above to reflect what I was answering, but it seems to have disappeared...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:26:36 PM by DKT »

eytanz

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:41:51 PM
I deleted it because I checked the regular PC guidelines and saw that I misremembered them. Didn't realize you already saw my post, sorry.

eytanz

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:00:13 AM
Actually, though - if the reasoning for allowing simultaneous submissions normally is that you're normally a reprint market, doesn't the fact that you don't accept reprints for Artemis Rising change the calculation here? If someone submits simultaneously to AR and to another non-reprint market, and gets accepted to both, how will you handle that?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:10:05 AM
True, that's the rationale for why we usually do it :)

With Artemis Rising, the main reason we're doing simultaneous submissions this way is because our submissions window is unfortunately so damn short. So, yes, it's a little bit risky on our end, but we want to give authors as much flexibility to get their stories to us as possible - even if they are under consideration elsewhere.

It's possible that we'll get burned because a story will sell elsewhere, but since we're also going to be hustling to respond to the stories in a shorter than usual time, I'm hoping that's minimized.