Author Topic: EP467: Trash  (Read 11865 times)

hardware

• Matross
Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 10:46:42 PM
My problem wasn't so much the bad science itself as much as the story dwelling on it too much instead of getting on with the fun that those characters, setting and setup deserved. Because that was all great, but all the detailed description of what they were doing or trying to do really tested my patience. And just like a Nolan film, insisting on exposition invites all those details to be picked apart.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 02:51:33 AM
Again, that isn't a problem, as long as the rest of the story matches your explanation in tone. If you've got an epic space opera sci-fi going on, you can do something kind of goofy, like "the FTL drive accesses an artificial hyperdimensional space made by ancient aliens" or "there's a phenomenon linking gravity wells which allows you to travel faster than light between stars," but if you're trying to do hard sci-fi, these explanations will clash with the rest of your story, and it'll fall flat.

It's all about consistency. Choosing when to gloss and when to delve, and what kind of explanation to go with... it's all about creating a consistent world.

Perfectly sums up the problem. Pity, because I enjoyed the characters and their interactions with each other.

UnfulredJohnson

• Palmer
Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 01:39:16 AM
Not much on psychics myself, so I had a nice time picturing all the grappling and what not in my head. I was put in mind of gravity, but then I'm told the science on that isn't great either. Still, I liked it.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 02:07:27 AM
Add me to the list of people who said WTF when the skeeter went to get another rock to help push the rocket....
It definitely affected my enjoyment of the story.