Author Topic: 28 Weeks Later  (Read 10949 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: May 12, 2007, 03:02:10 AM
Holy crap this was a good movie.

I'm highly motivated to do a review of it for Pseudopod, so I won't say much here.  I'll just say this: 28 Weeks Later is to 28 Days Later what Aliens was to Alien.

See it.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:57:57 AM
nice!
i love 28 days and was a bit worried about how 28 weeks would turn out

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 02:38:43 PM
Holy crap this was a good movie.

I'm highly motivated to do a review of it for Pseudopod, so I won't say much here.  I'll just say this: 28 Weeks Later is to 28 Days Later what Aliens was to Alien.

See it.

Sold.

When I saw 28 Days the first time it ranked, along with a couple of SERIOUSLY ill advised Julia Stiles romcoms (One with a lawnmower racing subplot, swear to God) as one of the worst movie experiences I'd ever had.  I still have huge issues with the first one, but I've warmed to it, at least a little.  Conversely, the trailer for 28 Weeks absolutely sold me.  I'll be checking this out.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 02:44:20 PM
must be something about that film
its one of my firm favorites now but on the first viewing i thought it was a bit week

its now the bases for one of the most successful rpg i have ever run

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:41:05 PM
Wow, that's high praise.  28 Days Later is probably one of my favorite horror movies ever.  I was somewhat skeptical when I heard they were making a sequel without Boyle directing or Garland scripting but the previews looked pretty good. 

Steve, I look forward to your review!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 03:31:39 AM
Hmm, ill have to see it, i wasnt going to because TWW of Air Out My Shorts absolutely hated it, i was kinda disappointed.  Ill have to see it now!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 02:50:47 AM
I enjoyed 28 Weeks Later as a zombie flick, but I didn't think it had the depth of 28 Days Later.  To me 28 Days was about people (the marines) and how they could be worse than the zombies.  Also, I have a hard time thinking of a more tragic movie moment than when Frank died.  28 Weeks didn't have the same emotional pull for me.  Sure, it was cool to see thousands of zombies firebombed, but it didn't have the same impact as 28 Days.

An aside: the scene with the bombers blowing the hell out of the island reminded me of a Simpson's quote.  Excuse me if I paraphrase.  Homer to Marge: "Marge, the first time I kissed you it felt like watching a cluster bomb go off in a graveyard full of zombies".  I tried that one out on my wife (before she was my wife).  She didn't quite get it.  Luckily she married me anyway.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 02:53:12 AM

Has anyone seen the trailer for the upcoming Will Smith film "I Am Legend".  The movie looks to be similar to the "28" movies.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 02:22:58 AM
Fan-damn-tastic movie.
I've been meaning to see it for some time now, but being in a mixed relationship makes things like that difficult some times.

:Spoilers:
There are no "heroes" in this movie. Everyone dies. Anyone who would have lived to see the ending credits in another movie got to
I think the soldiers were, in my civilian experience, accurately portrayed.
I loved that there wasn't a "love will overcome" moral.

My favorite scene was of the first re-infection. When Don kisses his wife, goes insane, then beats her to death. There was no delay, she wasn't spared, it wasn't intentional (I don't think). As soon as he started to change I figured his love would let him resist killing her and let him run away. Instead he shoved her cornea in to her cranium.
This is followed bye a blood-spittingly close second of the scene of the chopper trimming the grass.

My only gripes were that some of the first-person stuff was a little too shaky and panicked. I was too busy to figure out what I was supposed to be scared of to actually be scared of it. Also, respect for quarantine and fear of the disease seem a little lax.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 08:25:06 AM
Fan-damn-tastic movie.
I've been meaning to see it for some time now, but being in a mixed relationship makes things like that difficult some times.

Mixed relationship:  Is that one who likes horror and one who likes romantic comedies?  Those are tough.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 12:41:20 PM
Fan-damn-tastic movie.

Mixed relationship:  Is that one who likes horror and one who likes romantic comedies?  Those are tough.
It's not quite that bad, but Shwankie doesn't like realistic human-on-human or animal-related violence. So scary horror movies aren't her cup of tea.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 05:01:57 PM
It's not quite that bad, but Shwankie doesn't like realistic human-on-human or animal-related violence. So scary horror movies aren't her cup of tea.
There isn't a lot of  human on human violence though.  It's mostly human on zombie.

If she doesn't watch it how does she expect to get desensitized to it?  (I think that's a Simpson's quote.  It doesn't work on my wife either...)

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 05:50:00 PM
When I saw 28 Days the first time it ranked, along with a couple of SERIOUSLY ill advised Julia Stiles romcoms (One with a lawnmower racing subplot, swear to God) as one of the worst movie experiences I'd ever had. 
Are you sure you're not thinking of the "Sandra Bullock in rehab" film?  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising