Author Topic: Expanding EA's reach  (Read 9732 times)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
on: November 29, 2014, 07:00:09 PM
A few weeks ago, I responded (probably cryptically) to the call for an "intern" to help EA expand their presence in the world.

I said in my note that while I want to help, I don't think it's something I could "lead" on... not with a full time job and family obligations, etc.  but it reminded me that there are a lot of ways to help increase the general public's awareness that Escape Artists exists, so in my small way, I'm looking at some ways that I can make that happen.

1. The Library - I tried this in 2008, and it was shot down by the branch manager at my local library, but I took another crack at it, and submitted a purchase request to get the PodDisc collections (or at least a few discs) into circulation at my library.  It might help that I can say this about the company:

The Escape Artists publishing team has included Ann Leckie, whose debut novel won the 2014 Hugo Award, and the show has run stories from well known classic authors (Isaac Asimov, Clifford D. Simak, H.G. Wells, and L. Sprague de Camp) as well as modern greats (Mike Resnick, Cory Doctorow, Eugie Foster, and John Scalzi).

2. Local festivals - I went to the Baltimore Book Festival in September, and noticed that there were quite a few empty/available booths near the SFWA panel's tent. Applications for booths for the 2015 event will be accepted in the spring. Baltimore is also home to ArtScape, which is a huge draw every summer.

I've never run a booth at one of these things, but I've visited plenty of them, and Escape Artists already has a lot of the key ingredients: t-shirts, CDs & DVDs, and a kick-ass soundtrack. Put your logo & url on a few thousand bumper stickers and keychains, and you'll have everything you need. You can put me down as a volunteer to help set-up, take down, store stuff, and generally Be Excited about it all. (I don't think three days in a tent blasting Daikaiju sounds like a bad way to spend part of my summer.)

Anyway, all of that is to say, "If you find someone to take charge of all of this, count me in as a helper monkey!"

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:13:11 PM
Hi!

Excellent, thank you:) Please send me your email address in a PM and I'll put you in touch with the relevant folks

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:03:52 AM
I unexpectedly have this weekend off, so I'm going to Balticon! If there are any Escape Artists or their minions doing outreach-y things there, I'd be happy to gofer or just meet. There are a few panels I want to attend, and some people I want to spend some time with, but if I can help in some way, tweet @PEMatson and I'll try to make it work. I'll also PM Alasdair in case more direct contact info is needed.