Author Topic: Podcastle editorial announcement (split from PC345)  (Read 12676 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: January 06, 2015, 07:39:47 AM
Dave and Anna have an announcement to make on the tail end of Podcastle 345 "Makeisha In Time".

This thread preemptively split from the episode thread, and is for discussion of the announcement - please go listen to it before reading the thread.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:07:48 PM by Talia »

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 04:04:54 PM
It's the mark of the very best stories that you never want them to end, and if you're like me, maybe you even get a little upset when you realize it's over and wish the author would write another one (I'm looking at you JK Rowling!). I think I can speak for all PodCastle fans when I say, Dave and Anna, that your editorial stint was one of the very best stories.

I think what it takes to be a really fantastic editor is an underappreciated art, especially from the outside. It reminds me of those friends I have with really ridiculously good taste in music, who'll let you name a few songs you like, and then immediately hand you something completely new that you're going to love. I feel like what Dave and Anna have done on PodCastle has been like that: thinking about their audience, reading through the great stories out there, and making us a playlist designed to create a unique mental space. That's no small task.

So I'd like to encourage everyone who's enjoyed Dave and Anna's run on PodCastle--whether you're a forumite, fan, staffer, author, narrator, or some combination of all these--to take a moment and let them know what their work has meant to you. I think the mods have set up this thread for discussion, but I'd also suggest this would be a great time to drop them some proper fan mail at their Escape Artists email (dave (at) escapeartists.net and anna (at) escapeartists.net). I've already done so myself. :)

Dave, Anna: go chase those dreams. We'll still be here, cheering you along. And I dearly hope we finally get to hear a Dave Thompson story on PodCastle in the near future. :D

"As the weeks turn to months to years, it all runs into one smooth stream, and amid the worst there was still good, because we did it all together. We got through it with our greatswords and glaives, and with kind words and clever plans. We learned not to worship Agani. We learned to see ghosts in the gallery, and little gods in the cinnamon.

"We met angels in the shower. We balanced tiny assassins on our fingertips and fed them our blood. We held hearts in hands and pumped them, lub-dub, the lives of our friends resting in our palms, and at night we slept and dreamed. We called down foxes and furious suns. We caught paper tigers which were letters from our dead mothers. We were sorcerous puppets and apprentice dragons and we did not speak of our dreams. Our memories bled away into wind, and we got drunk in the human fashion with dead Jane Austens. Our brothers were bad gods. Our sisters spoke to crickets. On Easter, we became werewolves and on Christmas, Tim Pratt. All of us slept with Karnun Nameless Dae. We escaped, and we escaped, and we tried to forget the dreams, because they were the one place we could not escape to."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:05:02 PM by Varda »

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

jkjones21

• Hipparch
  • Fiend of borderline obssessives.
    • Catchy Title Goes Here
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 06:26:27 PM
Dave & Anna,

I've always been a very erratic PodCastle fan.  Most of the episodes I've listened to have come about because of circumstance (namely, my wife wanted to listen to an episode, and I listened along with her), but over the years I've developed a genuine fondness for the both of you and the stories you share with us.  I'm sad that I'm finally getting around to listening to more of your work on PodCastle, and it's almost over.  Still, the several hundred episodes you've produced for us will always be there, and with time I hope I get a chance to go back and listen to every one of them.

I wish you both nothing but the best in your future endeavors, and I'm looking forward to seeing your names pop up again around the spec fic community someday (hopefully soon).

Jason Jones
http://jkjones21blog.wordpress.com

I'm a Cage, he's a Cage, she's a Cage, 'cause we're all Cage!

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:25:38 PM
I am still in shock,  but just want to say I love you Dave and Anna.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:37 PM
Right back at you, Danooli  ;)

And thanks again to everyone. It's been an amazing journey.

Dwango

• Matross
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 02:12:06 AM
Wow!  So many changes going on in such a short time.

And how can it be five years already.  I feel like I joined Makeisha in going forward in time, as I swear I was just listening to Dave start hosting with Anna not just a moment ago.  It can't be over sooo quickly.  i'll surely miss both your voices in the show, especially when you are voicing the stories (though I hope you will guest voice once in a while).  I still remember the trip to the library with the full ensemble.  I'll miss both your hosting, editing, and time on the show.  You always kept the show interesting in the way you chose fun works and grouped them occasionally, plus getting the wonderful Christmas shows, as you mentioned.

Good luck with your writing Dave and whatever you decide to do Anna.  I'm sure you'll both be hoisting a Jolly Roger and swarming the deck with the fishy bitches on whatever vessels you choose to charter.  Can't wait to read and hear the results.

So long, and.. well, thanks for all the fish!

NumberFive

• Extern
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:46:47 PM
All the best for your future endeavors. One of my favorite things about podcastle has been the thoughtful, and often hilarious, comments before and after the stories. Dave and Anna, you have done an amazing job. I trust that the new keepers of the castle will keep us listeners posted of your daring new deeds ahead outside of the gates. (In other words, I'd love to know when either of you have future projects available.) Thank you for all your work and dedication over the years. Best of luck.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:58:17 PM
First of all:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOÔÖŒÕ!!!

Dave... I'm going to miss you, man. Your voice, saying "and... welcome back" is written on my bones. Sometimes I hear it when I wake up, or my dreams start. Ok, that's not true, but your voice is definitely up there with the Pseudopod theme (boom boom brakatom boom bakkaboom bakka boom boom) and the sound of monster surf rock on the list of things that get me thinking "ok, folks, it's story time." I still remember when I picked up my buddy Jon from the airport - he was flying in to go to my wedding - and he told me about how he'd laughed when listening to you give me a hard time while waiting for his next flight in Paris. I always hoped that you'd be the Podcastle editor who bought one of my stories, and I'm sad that that's not going to be so. Are you sure we can't have a Dave Thompson retrospective season? Month? A little more time to say goodbye?

*Sigh*

No, I get it. You gotta make your own ending. Still, I'm going to miss you.

[Comments on the story pre-emptively snipped and placed in the proper thread]

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:52:55 PM
Wow... this is a "Steve Eley stepping down" level of sadness for me. Dave and Anna, I love your editorial style and what you've made PodCastle into. I sincerely hope that the new editors can live up to the bar that you've set. And Dave, I'm seriously going to miss hearing your voice welcoming us back, and sharing your insights and reactions to the stories. May you both be blessed in your upcoming endeavors!

Thank you for sharing so many wonderful stories with us.

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 12:37:06 AM
Recently I moved to Austin, and I became friends with this one great couple. I was looking forward to spending more time with them--but they got this amazing opportunity for work elsewhere. So even though I will miss them, I am also so happy that they are following this opportunity...

And it's interesting how well this maps for me: Dave and Anna, you've been there for me when I've washed dishes, walked the dog, driven, shopped, been home sick. I've looked forward to the stories you've curated and your commentary on them. So I will miss that weekly visit. But I'm very glad and hopeful for even more awesome things in the future.

And better you exit now on a high note and not get forced out over all those dragons you've got stashed under your house.

raetsel

• Peltast
    • MCL & Me
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 08:12:24 AM
Oh my!

Well this was a real shock hearing both Anna and Dave are stepping down. I don't think I realise how much Podcastle and Escape Pod are part of my life until something happens that changes it.

I'm going to miss Dave and Anna and I think they have done a fantastic job in presenting stories I might never have come across otherwise. It's not just about the stories they choose and the narrators they find for them though, it's the way they give the podcast personality. The traditions they have engendered from "....and welcome back" to the Christmas stories from Tim and Heather. The thoughtful and informative intros and outros and the way they tie the stories in to themes in the world of Fantasy fiction or just the world in general.

Endings are important and a good ending is often the making of anything. Though it was a shock, this was a good ending too.

I want to join in the chorus of thank yous to Anna and Dave for their stewardship of the castle and wish them well in their future ventures.

I'm glad to say the little trail from the new hosts was very encouraging and I love their choice for the first theme. Bring it on!

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 02:40:24 AM
Dave and Anna,

First of all, congratulations on deciding to end this phase of your life as a decision you made, rather than regretting the opportunities that you may have missed.  I know how hard, and scary, it is to leave something you love and to move on to an unknown future.

I've been listening to PodCastle for about a year.  I won't pretend that every story was a hit for me - and I consider that a good thing.  If every story was a hit, that would have meant that I wasn't experiencing anything new - kind of like that guy who is still only listening to his top 80s bands.  But more stories were hits than misses, and I listened to authors I hadn't heard of.  Thanks!

Good luck in your future ventures.  And I'm hoping that this may be in part related to the metacast where it was mentioned that stories by editors couldn't be aired....

TheVoicesOfBrian

• Extern
  • So many voices...
    • The Voices In My Head
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 04:47:01 PM
Gosh dang it all to heck!

Gonna miss you kids. Been listening to PodCastle since the get-go (I remember the naming contest and everything). This podcast has regularly been one of my favorites and I'm honored to have gotten to narrate for you.

It won't be the same without you two, but change can be good and I totally get the need to move on to do other things. Dave, I really appreciate the need to make time for writing (I can barely make the time for my minimum 250 for Magic Spreadsheet every day).

Best of luck to you both and we look forward to hearing about your next adventures!

And now for the obligatory: I for one welcome our new PodCastle overlords! ;)

Narrator/Voice Actor
@VoicesOfBrian
www.TheVoicesInMyHead.com

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 03:39:03 PM
thanks Anna & Dave, I'm going to miss you

Julychildren

• Extern
  • Democratic Micronation
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 05:35:10 PM
All the best of luck for your future projects, Dave and Anna! :)

I'm a little tempted to cry 'Noooooo' as well. I've lurked on the forum for a while – ever since I was introduced to Podcastle, which I think was around last spring – but never managed to overcome my shyness enough to post. Right from the beginning I loved your selections and the storytelling was delicious... good enough to convert an erstwhile diehard reader-of-text.

Besides, you guys made my beginning of the year by selecting my story (my first international professional sale!) for 'Artemis Rising', so I can't believe you're leaving already. It would've been awesome to get to know you. Ah well. At other venues, then, I hope. Best wishes for the future, again.

If you blinked out the part where I told you I was several people, you've missed the only thing I've ever said that was true about me.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 03:23:14 AM
Anna and Dave,

I've already said it all elsewhere but it's worth saying again: YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

May I say, without any trace of irony, missing you already. :)

And a big welcome to Kitty and Dawn -- looking forward to the new editorial direction!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:26:03 AM by kibitzer »

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 03:29:12 AM
Thank you so much for all your absolutely wonderful work over the years, Anna and Dave! I hate change, especially when the people who have become fond friends need to part ways. You will be missed.

I will do my best to welcome our new PodCastle Overladies.  you've set the bar high, I hope they can levitate.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

eytanz

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:53 AM
You know, I've written you privately but this bears saying here as well - thank you, Anna and Dave for all the wonderful work you've put in over the years. Podcastle had quickly become my favourite story podcast when Rachel started it, and when you two took over, you didn't just keep it excellent, you kept improving it. I'm sad to see you go, and I'm going to miss hearing Dave's voice every week (and Anna's voice less regularly), but I trust your judgment, and you know best when it's time to go.

And, of course, welcome to Kitty and Dawn. I'm very much looking forward to Podcastle evolving with your editorial direction in charge. :)

Marmot

• Extern
Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 12:14:38 AM
Podcastle has been a godsend to my commute, and has expanded my horizons of fantasy fiction again and again.  I am so grateful for the firm and adventurous hands of Dave and Anna at the helm of the Podcastle ship.  I will miss you SO much, enough that the announcement got me off my butt and here into the forums (I wasn't crying, I swear, that was just...um...fairy dust in my eye).  I must admit, that I too will also miss the distinctive Dave "aaaaaand...welcome back".

That being said, one of the most important parts of my experience with Podcastle has been that the stories are clearly so carefully chosen to include women and POC authors, along with equally varied characters and leads, and stories that cross away from "Western" culture often and brilliantly.  When I decided that I needed to be financially contributing somewhere in support of my podcast habits, it was this obvious editorial bent (even without Dave's poignant statement somewhere in the middle of 2014) that led me to contribute to EA for Podcastle.  I didn't hear anything direct about continuing or deviating from that in the new editorial introduction.  I hope that we will hear something to address that directly, and either way, that the tradition will continue amidst the dark and surprising, as well as the quarterly themes, that were promised.

Liminal

• EA Staff
    • These Liminal Days
Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 09:41:54 PM
As a present to Dave & Anna, I made a fun little music track with some samples of their intros/outros. I've just posted it on Soundcloud and thought some of the PC fans might want to check it out.

https://soundcloud.com/livingtheliminal/raving-podcastle

Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness? - Artemus Ward

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir

Rhonda

• Extern
    • Rhonda's Blog
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 12:38:01 AM
I've been tempted several time to comment here, but I'm just not sure what to say.

I'll just leave off the mushy stuff and say, "thank you, Dave and Anna."

albionmoonlight

• Matross
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 02:41:51 PM
The announcement encapsulates what I will miss most about Dave and Anna.  Above all else, they are huge fans of fantasy fiction.  And that joy came through in their work.  Sad to see them go.

albionmoonlight

• Matross
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 03:16:10 PM
I also don't know if this is the place to offer feedback to the new editorial team.  If it is not, then please delete or move this.  I noted in your initial announcement that y'all are planning to run quarterly themes on PodCastle.  Is there any danger of the tail wagging the dog with that?  From my perspective, I like the best possible stories being run.  Do y'all see a danger in choosing stories that might not be the strongest because they fit better with the theme?  If so, what might you do to help counteract that danger?

Oh, and thanks for taking the reigns and welcome aboard.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 04:59:21 PM
I also don't know if this is the place to offer feedback to the new editorial team.  If it is not, then please delete or move this.  I noted in your initial announcement that y'all are planning to run quarterly themes on PodCastle.  Is there any danger of the tail wagging the dog with that?  From my perspective, I like the best possible stories being run.  Do y'all see a danger in choosing stories that might not be the strongest because they fit better with the theme?  If so, what might you do to help counteract that danger?

Oh, and thanks for taking the reigns and welcome aboard.

I've honestly wondered about that too.  Particularly with the combination of limited duration themed windows in combination with preferring reprints.  When a window is announced there's not enough time to write a new story, find another home for it to get published, for rights to revert, to submit here.  Which means that a submitting writer can either write something new and submit here despite the preference for reprints or to hope that something in their published backlog fits the bill.  It seems like the slushpile would be a trickle compared to what it normally would be.  As opposed to, say, Crossed Genres which has limited time themes but they only take unpublished works so that's an ongoing challenge to write things to fit the themes before the windows start. 

Generally I would just prefer that the best stories can be found be published, it seems needlessly limiting to draw a boundary around the possibilities with the themes.

But I'll reserve opinion until after the stories start coming out.  I hope that our new editors will give it an honest try and if it doesn't work out will consider cancelling the theme structure.  There's no shame in trying something new and going a different direction if the results aren't what they hoped.