Author Topic: Black Mirror  (Read 5245 times)

crdola11

• Extern
on: December 19, 2014, 04:38:15 PM
Hi all,

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Black Mirror as great horror television series from BBC. I've only recently devoured it via Netflix marathon and found the nuisances of every individual episode to be compelling and driving. You really can't tell where the time's gone. Multi-layered, intricate and completely understandable to everyone, it takes modern advances in technology and society, pushes them to their absolute limits as we watch a seemingly utopic society crumble into Dr. Mengele's nightmares. What did you guys think of this show, if you've watched it?

EDIT: Spelling
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:55:02 PM by crdola11 »

The worst excesses of mankind springs from the all-too-human traits of cruelty, apathy and arrogant misapplication of our own talents. The heroes who triumph in my stories are those who demonstrate the most kindness, common sense and ingenuity.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:46:49 PM
Excellent show - the closest thing modern television has produced to a legitimate heir to THE TWILIGHT ZONE's legacy. "Fifteen Million Merits" and "White Bear" were especially good - razor sharp incisive social/cultural commentary that won't let anybody off the hook ("Merits" gets extra points for the savvy of understanding how revolutionary fetishism works, "Bear" for being something that would have made Shirley Jackson smile wryly).  I am looking forward to BLACK MIRROR: WHITE CHRISTMAS very much.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 04:12:48 AM
And, as expected BLACK MIRROR: WHITE CHRISTMAS was great! Was especially pleased to see one of the themes of WHITE BEAR reinforced.

crdola11

• Extern
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 04:42:47 AM
I felt completely enamored with the premise. Engaging and Suspenseful with a very fast pace Jon Hamm was unexpectedly portraying a modern day Don Drapper. My only criticism would be separating the story in 5 parts; it wasn't necessary.

The worst excesses of mankind springs from the all-too-human traits of cruelty, apathy and arrogant misapplication of our own talents. The heroes who triumph in my stories are those who demonstrate the most kindness, common sense and ingenuity.

Chairman Goodchild

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:13:56 AM
I had strong reservations about Black Mirror doing a Christmas special, but I was wrong about that.  Black Mirror is a fantastic series, and there really is nothing like it on television.  Hopefully, Charlie Brooker can give us some more.

crdola11

• Extern
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:31:38 PM
The beauty of English TV programming and what truly sets it miles above American programming is it's concise and poignant delivery of interesting shows. Further, American executives in charge of programming exhaust their creatives behind some of their best shows. This inherent difference makes English shows far more appealing (to me) than the cookie cutter shows here in the states.

If Charlie Brooker never writes another Black Mirror episode, I'd be satisfied on how it ended. However, if he does continue this series, I'd be the first to comment and shout praises.