Author Topic: EP035: Hero  (Read 4080 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 12, 2009, 02:39:10 PM
EP035: Hero

By Scott Sigler.
Read by Stephen Eley.

There is no defense against a perfect weapon.

The perfect weapon is cunning, calculating and ruthless.

I am all of these things.

There is no defense against me.

The words would die with him, for he was the last. Five centuries of tradition would fade from existence, probably as soon as he killed Timmerman. But that didn’t matter, not as long as Timmerman died this day. Poetic justice is all the more eloquent with your enemy’s brains cooked a crispy-brown.

Rated R. Contains profanity, violence, and poor life priorities.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:17:10 PM
This one was really cool and unexpected.  PTSD as the "hero" of sorts, and the assassin is brought down by his own arrogance.  The plight of the daughter at the end was especially interesting.  She's been saved by this guy many times but his presence perpetuates the danger.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 03:18:30 PM
I really enjoyed this one, very well written. In a way it was quite a grim ending for the old guy. I ponder if it would have been better if the assassin had killed him, ending his misery (if one assumes being in such a state as he was in, is a miserable existence) and easing the burden of his daughter (if he had let her and the baby go).

These old episodes are interesting from a historical perspective also. For example it's fun to hear Steve Eley mention the release of the fourth 'George R. R. Martin book', obviously people didn't refer to the whole series back in 2005 as Game of Thrones.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:02:26 PM
For example it's fun to hear Steve Eley mention the release of the fourth 'George R. R. Martin book', obviously people didn't refer to the whole series back in 2005 as Game of Thrones.

I think they might have?  It's not uncommon to refer to a series by the name of the first book, especially if the book name is more catchy than the series name.  "Song of Ice and Fire" doesn't stick in my head or describe the series as well as "Game of Thrones" does.  Similarly "The Golden Compass" in place of "His Dark Materials" (though that one is more confusing because I think it had a different first book name in other countries).

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 04:52:59 PM
Could be. I suppose it depends. I've always referred to Robert Jordan's series as The Wheel of Time and Pratchets work as Discworld however Douglas Adams series I always refer to as Hitchhikers Guide, although that series didn't really have a name apart from that. I must admit I only learned about Jordan's books (Edit: Meant Martin's books, although a WoT TV series would be amazing!) after season 1 of the TV series was shown so I can't say what I would have called it. I do agree Game of Thrones is a perfect title for the series though!  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:00:51 PM by Supernova »