Author Topic: RIP Leonard Nimoy  (Read 3182 times)

Chairman Goodchild

• Peltast
on: February 28, 2015, 02:35:57 PM
When I was a kid and the idea of renting video cassette tapes and watching them on a home television was viewed with the same sort of awe that virtual reality is now, I watched my way thru all four of the Star Trek movies.  And loved every one of them.  Those were the awesomest movies for me as a child, even better than Star Wars.  

For all of the problems and plot-holes of Nu-Trek, the highlights of both of the movies for me were the Leonard Nimoy cameos.  Mr. Nimoy, with help from Gene Rodenberry, invented a pop culture icon that will live on thru the ages.  

For reference, the character of Sherlock Holmes, having first appeared in print in 1887, is now 128 years old.  

The character of Mr. Spock, having first appeared on TV in 1966, is 49 years old, nearly 40% of the age of Sherlock Holmes.  

And both of those characters are the kind of iconic archetypes that live on thru history.  I'm sure Leonard Nimoy and his portrayal of Spock will be remembered 100 years from now, the same way that Sherlock Holmes is.  There's no better way to achieve immortality.  Well, unless one were to be buried on the Genesis planet...

And just for the hell of it, because Leonard Nimoy was a man that could definitely laugh at himself,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:38:12 PM by Chairman Goodchild »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:46:11 PM
That's not the link to the Hobbit song, is it? You should warn people if you're going to do stuff like that.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

thebroken

• Extern
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:51:38 AM
Oh my goodness. That's an awful song. I got about 1/3 of the way through.