Author Topic: USA National Health Service  (Read 4944 times)

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
on: May 20, 2007, 07:42:28 PM
I heard a BBC report today that was suggesting that "America" has a grass roots pressure building towards a National Health Service.

I find this odd, I havn't seen or heard anything like that in any of the media I listen to that comes out of the states.

I think the ball-park figure over here in the UK is something like 20% of our income is tax to pay for the NHS.  Does that figure sound like a lot to Americans, how does that compare to current insurance schemes?

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 08:57:26 PM
Someone ran the figures a while back -- Americans pay more for (taxes + all the stuff that European governments provide) than Europeans pay for (taxes).

Basically, the people who stand to financially lose in the equation are the richest 1% or so of Americans. Unless you're in that percentage, then financially, national health insurance is a good deal for you.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:52:23 AM
Michael Moore's latest project, Sicko, is going to blow the lid off the US health care "industry."

Go read about it at Salon.com. Gonna be big, gonna be big.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:12:04 AM
You mean the way Bowling for Columbine had that huge effect on gun control? 

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:09:21 AM
Or the way "Roger and Me" had that enourmous impact on the outsourcing practises of US companies?

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:52:18 AM
Someone ran the figures a while back -- Americans pay more for (taxes + all the stuff that European governments provide) than Europeans pay for (taxes).
´

Different countries count different things as taxes. In Germany for example health insurance (which is mandatory and will be provided by the government if you can´t provide your own) is not included in taxes. Unemployment insurance is also not counted in the taxes. In Australia those are taken from within the "taxes" definition.

Of course your figures may already take that into account in which case....sounds expensive.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:10:00 AM
It is a complex issue, but America has too many people with no health insurance at all now--they live without it until they get very sick and present at Emergency Rooms for very expensive care, which they cannot afford and thus don't pay for, and those cost then get shifted onto the backs of those who do have insurance.  It is not a sensible system--anyone who has ever looked at it, left or right, agrees it needs fixing.

The problem is the most sensible fix would cost some very rich companies their livelyhood, and they are effective politcal opposition. 

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 01:26:26 PM
Different countries count different things as taxes.

You're right. Without digging up the link (my GoogleFu is weak!), I think the comparison was between Americans and the highest rate of taxation in Europe.