PodCastle > Fantasy Discussion

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER

(1/2) > >>

Max e^{i pi}:
Well, that happened.  :-[
I'm a lot more broken up about this than I would have thought, especially considering that I suspected that this was coming soon.
I discovered Discworld relatively late in life, but I quickly made up for lost time. There were 32 books out when I first read Mort (my personal first), and I read the remaining 31 in less than half a year. Ever since then I've reread the entire series (more or less) every time a new book came out. To sort of get in the mood. I played the MUD, the point-'n-click, and watched every live-action reproduction I could get my hands on. Terry's name on American Gods Good Omens is what made me read it, and that was my introduction to another one of my favorite authors whom I seem to have discovered a couple of decades after everyone else.
His forms of humor and candor and irony are constantly in my thoughts, and I often find myself using examples of his writings to help make a point. (Just the day before yesterday I had a long discussion with my wife about narrativium).
Better writers than I have eulogized Sir Terry all over the internet. This is just me saying that he will be missed.  :'(

Scattercat:
A huge part of my formative years and current philosophical outlook. 

TheFunkeyGibbon:

--- Quote from: Max e^{i pi} on March 12, 2015, 07:17:43 PM ---Terry's name on American Gods is what made me read it

--- End quote ---

Do you not mean Good Omens?

Anyway, the fact he could work with somebody as different in style as Neil Gaiman and produce something so wonderfully funny and clever between them speaks to Pratchett's skill as a writer.

Scattercat:
You can totally see the seams in Good Omens, though.  Like it's not even hard.  Still a fun read, mind you.  :-D

Talia:
I've been quite upset about it all day. One of my all-time favorites.

--- Quote from: Scattercat on March 13, 2015, 02:38:57 AM ---You can totally see the seams in Good Omens, though.  Like it's not even hard.  Still a fun read, mind you.  :-D

--- End quote ---

Someone in another thread today said they tried writing in each other's "voices" to try and mislead readers trying to figure it out :p

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version