Author Topic: Mind Games  (Read 5717 times)

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
on: May 01, 2007, 03:13:10 PM
Coming out later this year there will be toys that work off brain waves.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:17:44 PM
Well, we've all seen that coming for a long time.  I honestly think we'll see such sci-fi staples as telepresence, cybernetics and virtual reality within our lifetimes (I'm 23, so I count that as within the next 70 years).

We've got progress all over the place with brain-to-gadget interfaces, like artificial eyes (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health_medicine/1281076.html) and telepathic control over machines is coming along.  I don't remember where, I read an article about some researchers who rigged up an RC car to be controlled mentally.

I figure it won't be more than 20 years before we start seeing Matrix-style interfaces between humans and computers, with the human user sending commands and receiving information without moving a muscle.  Whether that will good or bad (or rather, in what degrees it will be both good and bad) is something I'd love to hear speculation on.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:59:06 AM
I just discovered Make magazine.  The most recent issue has instructions for building a device that you strap to your head, and it induces brain waves by creating droning sounds in your ears and blinking lights in your eyes at the right frequencies.   Supposedly the brain waves cycle to put you into a deep meditative state and then gently bring you back to the surface.

Assuming this thing works, you could hook it up with brain wave readers and get some bitchin bio-feedback going.  Either non-stop orgasms or a a fast boat to the booby hatch.  Or both, I guess. 

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 05:54:59 PM
I just discovered Make magazine.  The most recent issue has instructions for building a device that you strap to your head, and it induces brain waves by creating droning sounds in your ears and blinking lights in your eyes at the right frequencies.   Supposedly the brain waves cycle to put you into a deep meditative state and then gently bring you back to the surface.

Assuming this thing works, you could hook it up with brain wave readers and get some bitchin bio-feedback going.  Either non-stop orgasms or a a fast boat to the booby hatch.  Or both, I guess. 

Orgasms:  Too much of a good thing can actually be bad.  We've all heard about that constant-orgasm syndrome that seems like it's so great until you realize you could be in a board meeting and *wham* there it is.  And for guys it would be really messy.

"Fast boat to the booby hatch":  What does that mean?  Have I missed something?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:45:37 PM
Well, we've all seen that coming for a long time.  I honestly think we'll see such sci-fi staples as telepresence, cybernetics and virtual reality within our lifetimes (I'm 23, so I count that as within the next 70 years).

Oh for the dreams of youth...

Hmmm...  next seventy years...

Global warming, sea level rise, Dutchland drowns.  Massive weather pattern changes.  Massive migrations in europe and around the world.  Migrations lead to war to defend or take what people need.  Nuclear weapons made by radical states run by nutters who will use them despite Mutual Assured Destruction.  The widespread flu pandemic that WHO predict. Coke and Pepsi merge. Cats and Dogs living together. McVitie's stop making choclate HobNobs  AAARGGHHH.  New Christian world order.  Peace for all.

... yep, should be fun.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 09:01:55 PM
dont forget the mass unexspland sponge migrashon

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 09:21:15 PM
Actually, none of those things contradict my "dreams:"  Radical nutters guide their nukes through telepresence onto cyborg immigrants who are buying virtual Poke to taste through their head plugs.  See?  It all works out.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:01:09 PM
dont forget the mass unexspland sponge migrashon

There goes my thesis...

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 03:17:40 AM
Orgasms:  Too much of a good thing can actually be bad.  We've all heard about that constant-orgasm syndrome that seems like it's so great until you realize you could be in a board meeting and *wham* there it is.  And for guys it would be really messy.
I'm not saying it would be good, but it would sure be tempting. 

"Fast boat to the booby hatch":  What does that mean?  Have I missed something?
A quick trip to the insane asylum.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:26:25 AM by Russell Nash »

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:53:39 AM
I remember reading a story last year about someone taking a mouse and wiring up a button to its pleasure center that it was able to press - "Press here for pleasure."    After it found the button, it stopped eating and stopped drinking. It did nothing but press the button.  It sat there and died.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.